Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance continuation after finishing work.

• 04-01-2023 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I hope someone could shed some light on my situation if possible. I have been going through illness the past couple of years and unfortunately have had to make the hard decision to hand in my notice at work because of it. I have been in a group scheme for my private health insurance and I'm just wondering if I leave my job what happens with my private health insurance? Can I continue with the policy myself or does it cease completely when I leave. Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,026 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to ask the insurance company. Randomers on the Internet cannot know the details of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭macchoille

Different circumstances but should help answer your question ……. Last year I went from being an employee (with a company paid group scheme) to being a self employed contractor. I rang my health insurer (Laya) and they transferred the policy to me. Product, benefits & Rates etc stayed the same. Only difference is I’m paying it directly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll point you to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Yes, you can transfer the policy into your responsibility, it is already in your name - you can keep the same policy and level of premium as you are currently on via the scheme.

You are also entitled to switch insurers (at renewal date) and maintain your current treatments (provided the new policy covers it) - Get proper advice before changing policy or provider though.

No waiting periods or exclusions or additional loading/excess will apply so long as you do not upgrade the cover.

Best to contact the Health Insurer whilst you are still employed in case a letter is required from your employer to transfer and, find out if your employer has paid the full year premium up front or not - if they have will they deduct any remaining premium from your final salary or will they cover it for you (will be subject to BIK). You need to know when you must start paying from.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved over to the Insurance forum instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Randomers on the internet can know the answer as many have experienced that same situation and Health Insurance is very heavily regulated.

The OP has a cast iron LEGAL RIGHT for continuation of heath insurance at the same level or lower (if they wish) without any waiting period or loss of cover on issues currently affecting the OP.

Where there is a waiting period is if the OP went for a higher level of cover and the benefits of that higher cover cannot be applied to existing conditions for a period of 2 years and the previous level of cover stays in force for that 2 year period.

Bur absolutely and legally entitled to transfer without loss of cover - and that's from a randomer on the internet

Advertisement