Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the reference was obviously too obscure for some people....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I know exactly who the reference was about, Syd; my point is that RB and Crowley are different players with different strength’s (and weaknesses).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If I were selecting for the Six Nations I would bring in Joey Carbery, Ross Byrne and Billy Burns.

Let the younger lads play for their provinces; Jack Crowley, Ben Healy, Harry Byrne, Nathan Doak, Jake Flannery.

I would have included Ciarán Frawley and David Hawkshaw in that list but I think they’ll both be out injured for another while.

Jack Carty is just playing terribly at the moment, he has the ability to play well but perhaps injuries and a few bad matches have shattered his confidence, and he hasn’t put consistent good performances together yet this season.

do you think ross byrne has less potential to create a try than Crowley?

remember, crowley has the grand total of 8 professional starts at out half.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Do you think that RB can’t create try’s? If so I would suggest watching Leinster a bit more closely.

He is definitely less likely to score one but in terms of getting his team in a position to score. As things stand I would say Byrne.

That said I believe that Crowley will become Sextons successor. He’s just a long way off that level at present and needs more time at 10 to advance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doak is lucky to be getting Ulster caps at the minute never mind Ireland ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Would you not like to see him playing 10 for Ulster if Billy Burns were brought in to Ireland camp?

I think 10 would suit him better than 9, but he probably needs some games there to get into the swing of it.

Jake Flannery never got enough game time with Munster so I don’t know if he could be good with a couple of games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Flannery is not in this conversation at all, I think he was a hail mary cheap signing for Ulster and it hasn't worked out. I suspect he will never make it as a pro player.

Doak at 10 is worth a try, but Ulster are short at 9.

Do you think that RB can’t create try’s? 

Do you really think this was my argument?

As for this:

If so I would suggest watching Leinster a bit more closely.

C’mon, stephen… you’re better than that.

There’s a level of snark entering the conversation purely because some of us would prefer to see Crowley ahead of Ross Byrne.

A position that, in the Autumn, Andy Farrell agreed with.

id prefer to see crowley fulfill his potential, but thats all he has currently, potential.

Ross Byrne is where he is.

so its a case of preferring the devil you know than the devil you dont. The reference to JJ Hanrahan earlier is a very valid comparison. The potential was huge with JJ, the reality was a crushing disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

There’s a level of snark entering the conversation purely because some of us would prefer to see Crowley ahead of Ross Byrne.

A position that, in the Autumn, Andy Farrell agreed with.

There is that and while I really don't care who 3rd choice is I have previously posted showing that Farrell has already picked one over the other when both were fit and available.

If Crowley can get Munster / Ireland playing with the same organised continuity that Ross Byrne can get Leinster playing with - then with the rest of his skill set he will be a huge asset to both province and country.

Right now - I'm firmly of the opinion that Ross Byrne is by quite a wide margin the better game manager, gets more from his backline and provides better direction for his pack. He is better at managing territory, kicking from hand and his kicking percentage is far higher with many more kicks taken.

It's also exceedingly apparent that Andy Farrell doesn't like what he sees. Whether that's down to his general play, some specific deficiency or how well he fits in camp I don't know, but he's been overlooked continuously and only got a shot against Australia because we were in a break glass situation.

If I had no context, hadn't seen historical selections for Ireland and had been watching both players for their provinces this season and was asked which one would be called into camp - I'd be picking Byrne without thinking twice.

I've no issue that this would be completely wrong and I fully accept that Farrell knows infinitely better - but being as objective as possible it's still a bit of a head scratcher.

Edit: On a side note - I felt very much the same when Harry Byrne was getting picked ahead of Ross Byrne.

It is, and it’s also entirely valid to point out Crowley has better footwork, is faster and threatens the line more than RB.

And in that regard, Crowley suits Ireland’s style better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

All very interesting.

Sam Prendergast is, of course, going to start against Wales but it's all very interesting.

Ok the less snarky version. Why would you want that? What exactly has Crowley shown so far in top level rugby that would suggest this. Because there is plenty of evidence of RB doing it at a top level.

As I said, I’m a big fan of Crowley and have since his time with the under 20’s thought he had the potential to be Sextons replacement. At the moment though, it is potential. As we have seen nothing yet to say that he can do it at a top level.

we've gone back to 12 o clock again :D

i agree with you, crowley has the better individual traits than Byrne, however in the one piece of evidence where we can actually point to as being the basis of this argument (playing out half for ireland) he didn't exactly shine. Im not going to nit pick the young lads debut start, but lets say it was serviceable. Similarly Ross Byrnes starts for ireland have been poor.

for the argument that Crowley was selected ahead of Byrne against australia when both were fit, yes absolutely. Thats patently correct.

but lets not forget that Byrne was only called into the squad 4 days before the game. Crowley was the only fit outhalf who had been with the squad since the beginning of the preparations for the autumn internationals.... and Crowley had played against Fiki a week earlier, so was it such a surprise that Crowley was selected ahead of Ross Byrne?

I expect both players will be called into the ireland training camp for the 6 nations. If Ross Byrne is not called in but either Harry / Jack / Billy are called in ahead of him, then thats his international prospects absolutely over.

but lets not forget that Byrne was only called into the squad 4 days before the game.

Is it overly simplistic to point out Crowley was there because he was the one preferred in the first place?

I think one thing we can all agree on is that this is just going around in circles at this point, so happy to leave it there tbh.

I wonder why was Crowley in the squad but Byrne had to be called up when we Sexton & Carbery were out.

Could it possibly be that Farrell has Crowley ahead of Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And nobody in this thread has said otherwise...

It's possible, but not definite. Crowley was in the squad after Frawley got hurt in the NZ A game, as the third out half in a developmental role, similar to how Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley were there previously.

It might be the case that that definitely means those three guys are indisputably ahead of the three established OHs who haven't really featured much (RB, Carty & Billy Burns), but we don't know for sure if they're there as developmental players at this juncture because Farrell likes their long term potential or if he rates them higher right now.

I don't necessarily know if Farrell knew he'd be without Sexton & Carbery for the Australia game if Crowley would have been the guy he'd have gone with if he'd had longer to prepare for the fixture.

• Advertisement

On the balance of probabilities he's obviously the preferred one full stop, but that doesn't rule out him being there for longer term development purposes more so than an intention to start him in one of the main fixtures.

Had Farrell been in a situation of having known two weeks in advance he'd need a starter other than Sexton or Carbery there is a small argument he might have gone a different way, but it's pure speculation and not worth anything beyond that.

Ok, we can speculate whether Crowley was picked for development purposes or not.

But one thing we don’t need to speculate on is that Farrell has consistently not picked RB.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

2022 Outhalves on match day squads

6Ns Games (Starter/Bench)

Sexton/Carbery

Carbery/Carty

Carbery/Sexton

Sexton/Carbery

Sexton/Carbey

Summer Tour

NZM Frawley/Carbery

NZ Sexton/Carbery

NZ Sexton/Carbey

NZM Frawly/Carbery

NZ Sexton/Carbery

AIs

Sexton/Carbery

Carbery/Crowley

Crowley/Byrne

I think that gives you a view of the pecking order from Andy Farrell's point of view.

Pretty much absolutely everyone is saying that Farrell hasn't and doesn't pick Ross Byrne. It's quite literally the point we're all making. The discussion is around the why and a comparison to his and Crowley's prior performances.

Had forgotten Carty got picked in last years Six Nations. Think he's a long way off now unfortunately, has had a poor season.

Preferred as 3rd choice though. As Harry Byrne had been before him. He also most likely wouldn’t be there had Frawley not got injured against NZ. He is there for future benefit. Which put him in pole position once Sexton and Carberry were unavailable.

There is also a possibility that should Sexton miss the 6N. That Crowley will remain 3rd choice with another outhalf coming in as second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I missed the Beaver reference at first, assuming this is "who is our Stephen Donald?" right?

In which case, it's absolutely RB in my head - a seasoned pro who knows how to score points, and marshall his team. Lacks some of the attributes that make him a top player, but i'd still feel more comfortable going into a match like that with RB on the bench, if we were missing Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But what's his white baiting skills like? That's the most important thing. And RB will need to work on his beer belly if he really wants to be the Irish Beaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Madigan is only 33. He’s still in with a shout if the chips fall his way and there are a few injuries

Madigan has started 2 games between this season and last ..... and hes only started 38% of his games for ulster

hes a far away from a test cap as I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Madigan will be gone after this season. Healy is Edinburgh bound. If Sexton is out, Carberry should start! He's been in the squad for yonks. He knows the systems etc.

Crowley and HB are wildcards. They could both see action in the 6nations. They both gave high ceilings and look like good options, for the future.

Frawley has lost his opportunity. It's a shame and I cansee him getting a call up. He'll likely be hoping for a chance in the world cup warm ups.

Advertisement