Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding nuts

Options
  • 02-01-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have land away from the house and the ewes are there at the moment and will be coming home shortly

There are 30 ewes there and they get a bucket of nuts each day, I throw it on the ground as there are no troughs there.

While I know this may not be ideal, I don't seem to lose an awful lot of it

Anyone any views re throwing nuts on the ground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

On concrete? It’s fine. They will lick it clean.

If on grass there must be loss not to mention the amount of dirt they must end up eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not fed sheep outside in long time, but I guess it would depend on the nut and ground conditions. If you can get the nuts out on solid ground then it should be fine, but if lying on gutters then no. If you're not losing much then you may be okay. I'd prefer to feed them in troughs though. Nuts would be fine - some are designed to be fed this way.

Do you have troughs for them when they come home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

yes troughs when they come home

Always feed in a high spot, which would be dry. ie last few days there were pools of water but I go to high spot where there is no water and is dry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Corrugated pipe,grand job. I also put the nuts under a wire works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Obvs would have been better in the troughs, but should be fine on a high spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

If ur in the west, homeland/Aurivo are making a sheep cob nut at the minute that perfect for feeding on ground and no wastage, 18% protein and €12.25 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We never use troughs outside for ewes, we always use cobs,, they're a great job ,, Grennans make them as well.

This is Aurivos first year making them, Ill definitely be buying them as I always finding mucking up around a trough area or in a pen always leads to lameness, least with these I can feed them different areas every day to help minimize the risk and poaching, without having to lug a few steel troughs around, plus they seem good value too compared to the conventional 18% ewe and lamb at €13 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

many uk flocks feed cobs to ewes inside as well by just throwing it into the pens

Yea, and if you have a big number of sheep they'd knock you over the troughs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Do ye use a snacker for feeding the cobs?

Yea, but I know people that just throw them from the quad too

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Jimbo789

Is there anyone making a cheaper cob suitable for giving small amount just as maintenance for ewe lambs being kept until hoggets for breeding, they have no grass left but as much hay as they want.

Until now there wasn't much demand for sheep cobs and the merchants would only supply one type but demand is picking up now so there might be different rations available as cobs. Were buying the 18%cobs from Grennans at a similar price to their lamb finisher.

Hay usually doesn't have great feed value so the bit of extra protein in cobs would be no harm. Protein helps livestock to digest fibre and God Knows there's plenty of fibre in hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I was buying the Grennans 16% protein nut, is this the same as cobs?

I know Grennans also do a bulk sheep nut in the bin that you can pick up 500kg loose, would that be a cob?

Their nuts are only about 8mm, the cobs are 15mm.

As far as I know the only Cobs they're making for sheep are the 18% cobs. There wasn't a lot of demand for cobs and it's awkward for them to change the machinery unless they were sure of demand.

I'd sometimes feed Cobs at the end of april if the east wind cut the grass out of it and I'd have to go around the local branches taking what they'd left over

what are ye paying for pre lambing meal this year? haven't priced around yet

12.25 for 18% protein cobs and around 13ish for 18% protein ewe&lamb nuts in aurivo. Was handling them last week during the scanning and they in very good shape and plenty of decent winter grass ahead of them. Was a mild winter up until recently, and projections around Europe is their could be another warm spell comming.

I will just feed bare minimum 3-4 weeks pre lambing along with crystalex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

440/tonne bulk blown in, nuts , ration probably cheaper , but attracts birds

19%p barley soya distillers maize minerals

I do try to get multiple drops eg order weanling or dairy on the same load and haggle a bit of discount for same

Not bad value in todays market and ingredients look good. Which mill are they from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Do you find the chrstalx worth it, its expensive at nearly 33 a bucket, i put one with 20 ewes a week ago and its nearly half gone already

There fairly eating through that alright have they much grass in front of them, I usually get alot longer, a bucket could last me a well over a month per 25 ewes, but they are on decent grass too which may mean they dont need as much of the lick for energy.

The only reason I like using them as I am quite mean with nut feeding them especially if they are in decent shape, least the bucket can ensure they are getting minerals an extra energy when they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

€520/ton for grennans 20%. Got a pallet earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

540 for Glanbia ewe master 20%. Got 5t blown in so hopefully get for 500 when pay at end of month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

450 for 18% nut

470 for 20% nut plus Soya

Small Bags:

12.80 and 13.35.

Gonna go with the 20% nut this year right or wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Local merchant in Galway.

Do you count them good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

They're not bad. I paid 510 for 18% nut.

% protein doesn't mean a thing in my opinion. I would be more concerned on what the ingredients were

you could get a very good 18% feed or a very bad one, a lot of people get caught out on this and end up with ewes with very poor milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

This is the nut I'm feeding from grennans.

Advertisement