Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Aiden Pearce from the Watch_Dogs games. I'm a big fan of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had forgotten about the DLC for Dysmantle, so that's ticking all the suggested boxes. Games like Pentiment don't interest me at all unfortunately, KRZ, Firewatch, etc. Not for me. And had tried out Arcade Paradise, which was fun for a while. But really enforcing my new belief of not buying smaller games as they'll eventually be on some streaming service at some stage and I won't feel bad about not playing them after a few hours when I get bored!

Nearly bought Tunic, but I've a feeling it'll be on PS+ soon. Loved the bit I played on the Xbox but want to use the DualSense so waiting for that. That and Deaths Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm dipping into Spiderman Remastered on PS5. It's clicked with me and looks and plays gorgeous in the performance 60 FPS ray tracing mode. It's very easy too, and short I believe, which suits me fine at the moment.

I think if you are burned out it's a good idea to slow down and maybe just pick 1 game you enjoy and play it slowly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or just play a game that is guaranteed to put a big smile on your face.

Ace Combat 7.

You know what, I may just install that again and see if time has given me a different perspective. Won't make the mistake of trying it in Japanese this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just play it with the advanced controls. It's a much better game once you get used to them.

I've turned off the resistive triggers and vibration stuff on thr PS5 controller. Was driving me nuts and hopefully it'll make the controller last longer, cause it seems like they are disposable like Gillette razors. 🤣 Also, not really making me feel closer to being Spiderman 🤣

Spiderman remastered is super polished. It's fun chasing after pigeons, taking photos of cats and crime busting while wearing a punk rock Spiderman outfit. And the combat is really engaging. But mostly, they did an amazing job capturing the best superhero in a video game. New York looks wonderful. Bravo.

Glad I waited to jump on the PS bandwagon. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So tell us, when can we expect Ace Combat: Retr0gamer to be released?

Was really hoping for Ace Combat 8 information last year. Apparently its in development since 7 was a huge success for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Playing this at the moment. Was going to get Legion and was dithering about whether to get the gold edition which comes with the complete edition of the first game. I remembered I already had and never played more than an hour or two so I said I'd give it another go. The story is hokum for sure but the gameplay is good fun - I'm just going straight through the campaign so not burning myself out on repetitive side quests. Having a supposedly brooding main character means I don't have to listen to a load of unfunny quips while playing which is a bonus. Driving is scutter but in the main I'm having fun with the game and I think it's much better than it's generally thought of.

Going to pick up Alan Wake next in the January sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

There was a painful 12 year gap between AC6 and AC7, made worse by the awful spin-offs and f2P nonsense they were releasing in-between.

Both WD2 and Legion are significantly better than the original, so if you are enjoying it be sure to get to them eventually.

Ace 7 was my introduction to the series. Just completely ignored it as the press never really praised it. Only took notice of it due to john linneman's coverage of the game in Digital Foundry and I always remembered Total biscuit describing the PS2 games as the best games ever for minute to minute excitement. He really wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Played WD2 before and enjoyed it. Will play Legion at some point - when I was reading about it over Christmas and I wasn't really feeling it but it will get an airing in the future

Have you tracked them down and played them since? AC4 is the obvious highlight but 5 and 6 are great too (just don't go anywhere near Assault Horizon on PS3).

I think Legion was judged a bit harshly at release, the randomness of the playable characters is great if you end up with some that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I thought Legion was good too. I loved the spider bot. And at first I was pissed about not having a drone like in two but there are drones all over the place that you can take control of. Plus I used to travel the whole map on the construction drone and I found it fun. I liked the buildings and such that you can take in while on the massive drone as you travel slower than in a car.

Those first two Watch Dogs games have been updated to 60 FPS on XBox Series X consoles by MS (turn on FPS boost), and the last one, Legion, got a free next gen upgrade on PS5 and XBox Series consoles.

So, there have been improvements.

I haven't played any of them, might grab the 2nd or 3rd one if I see them cheap somewhere. But I've a million other open world games on the list before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

WD Legion is fun but its USP is that you can play 'as anyone' can sometimes be its own worst enemy. The downside of that is that once you recruit a builder with access to a flying platform, you can cheese nearly every situation or just fly across the map; so you really have to force yourself to slog it out to get fun out of it. If you do play it, I'd recommend switching on the permadeath option which (somewhat obviously) means that if you lose a recruit in the field, you have to approach the situation with a different recruit. Adds a nice element of risk.

I just ordered WD 2 (2nd hand) and Legion (new) from Amazon for less than 20 euro for both (physical). I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll probably get to them at some stage.🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I personally preferred WD1 over WD2. Not got to Legion yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have started to really get into Neon White on PS5. Ace'd the first 10 levels including all gifts.

The gameplay is a lot of fun once you recognise the paths through the levels. Requires a lot of focus to get all the timings right but levels are mercifully short (so far anyway, longest was about a minute) so never feels that bad to have to restart the level. Had to remap some of the controls though. I can see why the mapped everything to the shoulder buttons, but I just couldn't get used to it at all, particularly jumping with L1 then throwing the weapon to jump higher with L2. Trying to do it repeatedly and quickly just didn't feel right.

There's almost no point me looking at the global leadboards. Some of the times posted are insane. I'm around the 2000 mark for most levels with my best times so far. Either way, looking forward to belting on with the more complex levels.

This. While WD1 has its issues, the serious nature of it better suited it imo. I loved the first one. Couldn't even finish the second one as it was too... not me. When even the bikers were trendy, I was out! Legion looks like it would be fun to drop in and out of and play a quick game, but from everything I've read it doesn't sound for me either. Didn't know they got an FPS boost, might give the first one a spin again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I presume you're playing on Playstation with those controls, so this probably isn't applicable. But it's a game that soars with keyboard & mouse. I played the first couple of missions on Steam Deck and really enjoyed it (mapping some controls to the rear paddles), but switched to m&k at one point and didn't look back. Adds that extra level of precision and nuance that really makes the game sing.

Probably my favourite game of the year, although it's one I had to play over a long time as I refused to move on without the ace medal in every single mission :P

Yeah, PS5. Considering how absolutely dogsh*t I am with KB/M that could be more of a hindrance than a help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

For anyone that was played Need for speed Underground . How the hell do i keep my wanted level up for level 2 heat to do level 2 events . Keeps dropping after i lose the cops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I forget but I think you slow down so they are still with you, rather than you shooting away from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

They did shift the tone quite a bit. Personally I found WD1 way too dull and boring and gave up on it, while WD2 went too far the other way with over the top characters that I found annoying and couldn't put up with.

Legion strikes a much better balance in my opinion. It's got characters with personality and it's got humour, but it's also quite grounded and was able to keep me interested. The hook of playing as anyone could be hit and miss as some voice actors were better than others, but I did appreciate the array of accents that felt like it authentically represented London. I also really enjoyed the gameplay, something that I can't really compare with the first two because they put me off before I fully grasped the mechanics.

• Advertisement

I lasted about 3 hours in WD1 before getting bored. After the first few times using the hacking mechanics it just felt bland and boring. I played a good bit more of WD2 even though the story and characters were awful, but the gameplay just started to feel a lot more repetitive, constantly having to switch between the player, then the RC car, then reposition the player, then use the drone, then hack a different camera, then the drone, then the RC car.... I didn't feel like any of it was good enough to sustain having to do that over and over.

Haven't tried WD Legion but can't imagine I will either.

Advertisement