Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renter's tax credit

Options

Comments

It probably would have been better if the tax credit was applied for using the landlords PPS number instead of the RTB number, at least revenue would be able to link the rent to the landlords tax return. The RTB have been a disaster for over a year. Its impossible to register, and when you do it can take weeks or months to receive conformation of the registration. The software migration issues and now the inability to perform annual registrations have shown the RTB are not capable of running the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Is the Landlords PPS Number or RTB number actually required once the address actually shows up as being registered on the RTB page? Seemed to allow me to skip through those sections

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

This is likely a stupid question, but where do you find the RTB number? I checked the register and the house I'm renting is there but there's no RTB number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

So what is supposed to be entered into the ‘gross relief due’ section??? I know the relief is 500, but is that what needs to be entered?

Also, I was renting for all of 2022, but moved in June - so I’m putting the details for landlord no 2 down - will I need to fill this out also for the first landlord / tenancy?

It doesn’t seem to be a mandatory field so I’m leaving it blank

• Advertisement

You should have received a letter from the RTB with it or you can ask the landlord for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

My landlord seems to be one of many that's having issues with the RTB and registering. We were definitely registered last year and I see lots of comments online about difficulties registering since the change in platform by RTB. Thinking I might try without the RTB register number... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

You can complete the claim but it wont be processed without the RTB registration:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-15/15-01-11A.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It would be on the letter your received form the RTB when you moved in and your tenancy was registered. You could also ask your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Had a quick look there and they are looking for a few bits of info

RTB Registration Number

LPT Property ID

PPS/Tax Reference number for Landlord/Agent

Pretty Sure I have the - RTB Number on a letter somewhere. The other 2 I assume the only way to get these is from the LL. Don't particularly want to contact him as He might take the view of upping the rent to as technically I wouldn't be out of pocket then.

Can you leave the LPT and PPS blank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

You can but the claim won't be processed and we are just giving the revenue alot of info about landlords 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

and this really is the huge problem with this so called rental tax credit- renters in many cases dont have the requisite RTB details and are as usual terrified to contact their landlord in case there is another rent increase in many cases potentially greater than even the value of the "tax credit"..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

How much should I enter for Gross relief due? Girlfriend and I pay €1400 altogether so I've paid €8400 this year... it says may I can input is €2500...

Its a Tax credit. In other words you can claim back 20% of all rent paid up to a max of €500 refund or €2500 paid rent

So @FionnK86 you paid €8400 rent in 2022 so you can claim the max of €2500 Gross which will give you back 20% - €500 Net

Your Girlfriend can do the same

If for example you had only paid one months rent @€700 each you could only claim back 20% of this - €140

Any suggestions on what can be done when the Landlord is unable to register with RTB? We're in a small apartment block, all apartments had been registered but with the platform issues last year the LL is having difficulty registering them again. He said there are issues since last summer and multiple emails and calls to RTB have gone unanswered.

As I said previously in the thread, there seems to be a big issue with the RTB site and LLs being unable to register.

Out LL is decent so I don't want to pressure him but I do want the tax credit, and as soon as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not a renter so haven't claimed, but had a look at both the explanatory document someone posted earlier and the portal.

The RTB registration number isn't a required field (as indicated by the asterisks).

So, I'd say click *yes* for RTB registered Q and leave the RTB number field blank. Revenue may well come looking for it later, but they'll be well aware of the RTB registration issues and are unlikely to punish you for it.

Will try it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I did the same, the property I am renting is RTB registered but I didn't bother looking for the letter etc.

I just put the name of the landlord and nothing else. If they ask for more details I will provide of course.

I will let you know if they ask for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I did the same as you above, I just got the adjusted statement, I'm being paid the full amount. Happy days! After years of paying down me bollix on rent and tax, a little help after Christmas. For context. I bought a house at the end of 2022, but I put the end date as my move date, and just my PPS as the RTB number. My property was registered, but I didn't have the letter with the RTB number.

Received the tax credit without giving any info whatsoever regarding the landlord apart from the name.

System opened for abuse but it isn't my job to judge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Revenue have pretty sophisticated fraud detection systems. Anyone who thinks they can clown them would be in for a land.

So do you just get an email confirming this and then the credit lands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They can review it anytime in the next six years and claw it back if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

I made a mistake in the gross relief due amount. I provided all other info about the LL and the property including RTB . Would they correct it or should i get in touch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭crinkley

got my credit this morning after applying on the 3rd so impressed with that I have to admit

Just filled it out there and left the above sections blank

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Che15Deng30

Hi, just wondering did you get the €500 money for the rent tax credit? Thanks

My landlord is a gentleman and exceptionally honest told me a few months ago he was having problems reregistering with the RTB

He text earlier this morning saying the below.

"I got a letter recently saying they are an incoming only call center and cant ring me. I got one registration set up and will try do yours next".

There are 3 of us sharing the house so this would seem to indicate he maybe got one registered on the system so there is some hope.

He also said to give it two week with the RTB and then we could fire away trying to apply with the name and PPS number.

As other posters said you don't need rtb registration to apply.

I only put my landlord's name and nothing else and received the credit so unless you are selected for audit you don't have to worry about other details. They are not required fields on the website.

• Advertisement

They will not correct it themselves. You have to correct it - they don't know how much rent you paid ;)

Advertisement