Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well if you want to look at things that way. He’s third choice behind the second and third choice outhalves for Ireland. The number 1 team in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod reminder, folks:

1. Attack the post, not the poster
    2. No back-seat modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Should Carbery be the anointed one? Is IRFU deciding that Carbery needs to be played when fit ‘in the national interest’ or is he the best 10 we have?

Are you trying to be smart or do you generally struggle with basic comprehension?

This might come as a surprise to you, but those months when he wasn't picked that I highlighted just happened to come in the middle of the rugby season.

In any event, you're the one fixating on the time period, when I quite clearly stated the following in my last post directed at you which you've chosen to ignore:

He played no part in 6 pivotal games (Ulster at home, Connacht at home, Edinburgh away, Toulouse at home, Northampton away and then Leinster at home). Surely that isn't that hard to understand?

I'm struggling to understand exactly what it is you're arguing for here. Can you clarify - are you saying you think Healy made the decision he was leaving back in October, and that's why he wasn't picked in 6 games following that?

Because if that's not what you're saying, and you think the decision was made more recently, do you accept the premise that not being picked in 6 consecutive games would be a reason why a guy who's contract is up and who has an offer elsewhere would probably think he's better off leaving?

For whatever reason, you (and another) have chosen to interpret people pointing out that Healy didn't play any part in 6 meaningful games on the bounce as some sort of criticism of Munster, when I've clearly stated that isn't what I mean.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He's the second best 10 we have currently in the Irish squad

He'd be the starting 10 at 3 of them 4 provinces

• Advertisement

Surely that reinforces my argument that Munster clearly now see Healy as third choice at 10, and why he probably decided the time was right to move on?

He was finally picked in a match squad again when Joey Carbery was in a mandatory rest period because of his international obligations.

I've also never said anywhere in this thread that Rowntree "doesn't trust Ben" - just that he rates him behind Carbery & Crowley, which there is ample evidence to support.

Mother of god, the hoops some posters go through just to be right.

I really don't think you realise the irony of the above statement.

How do the IRFU decide that Carbery needs to be played when fit?

What evidence anywhere is there to support this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Healy has more caps for Munster than Carbery.

No point in anyone insisting on carbery playing when fit, when he's seriously struggled for fitness since joining Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can't wait for Ben's book and he outlines when and why he made the decision to leave.

You're not sure what I'm on about with two months? He didn't play a meaningful game for Munster from October 22nd to Jan 1st - that's more than 2 months.

You know perfectly well why this is disingenuous, FTD.

Also it’s pretty universally accepted that the game that turned around Munster’s season was the SA game, not the Bulls game. What was it you called that game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Ben Healy hasn't got the balls to stay and fight for his chance at a big Club and, by extension, for the Number 1 International side in the World, well then so much the better for Crowley and Harry Byrne.

Healy has opted for a Challenge Cup team and a guaranteed squad place in a poor representative side, run by a broke Union, rather than staying in the fray.

How sad.

Happy to see Jake return but I think Ben remaining would have been better for us

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd assume that the squad rules are similar in Scotland as here in Ireland so Healy being Scottish eligible means he's an easier signing than he would be if he was taking up one of their limited "Not Scottish Qualified" slots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would have been, but its hard to encourage someone to stay as a third choice option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not sure it would have made Healy more likely to stay but Nucifora is working on some sort of extra game time for depth players. Whether thats some sort of secondary competition or something else.

Hopefully details will emerge soon. I have to say I think it would make 3rd choice a more attractive proposition to someone like Jake Flannery.

No, I don't, and don't accuse me of being disingenuous again when I'm the one who's had to tolerate some of the absolute nonsense non-arguments from other posters in here.

You can dress this up whatever way you (or others) choose to, and play semantics with the language around it however you like.

Fact is, at a crunch time in the Munster season Healy didn't play for 6 games / 2 months - categorise it however you like.

I'm not too concerned about what is universally accepted - from my view, the turning point in terms of performance and result was the Bulls win. It was the first game where they showed something this season, first game where the new coaches gameplan was evident, and was built on some great performances from both returning EI players (like Crowley & Ahern who provided impact from the bench), young players (Edogbo) and some of the more established players. To me, it was the game that signified the passing of the torch to Crowley.

No, I don't, and don't accuse me of being disingenuous again when I'm the one who's had to tolerate some of the absolute nonsense non-arguments from other posters in here.

Now you know how the rest of us feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

how can you complain about the munster thread and then post this?..... You dont understand irony do you?

Shame. from a nenagh/tipp/munster perspective the province are losing a 23 year old with almost 50 caps for the province already...

Or it could be hard to try keep him because as the article actually states "Healy hasn’t had a look-in with the national set-up"

Yeah, except I've made multiple well-reasoned arguments in this thread, and you've just refused to engage repeatedly.

But, for whatever reason, you can't just ignore it, you feel the need to tell everyone you've ignored it.

You haven't made a single valid point in this debate or even attempted to, and once again, for some reason you seem to suggest my pointing out the literal fact that Ben Healy wasn't selected to play for 6 consecutive meaningful games is me "twisting things to suit my agenda" or is me criticising Munster, when I'd say Stevie Wonder could see it's a major reason in why Healy has chosen to leave.

If you could take off your red coloured blinkers for maybe 30 seconds, you might notice that I've said numerous times that I think the reason he's leaving is that he has realised he's (rightly) fallen behind Jack Crowley, and is already behind Joey Carbery.

Pointing out this isn't a criticism of him, or Munster, or Graham Rowntree, but for whatever reason you're determined to see it that way.

• Advertisement

What? Have you been following the thread and in particular how the op from him to my post was a nitpicking post?

MOD: Enough. Any more and bans will be handed out; I've been more than lenient. You've all had enough warnings at this point.

And also, if you have an issue with a post, report it instead of complaining on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Looks like flannery might be going back to munster. Shame, i thought we would play him more. He’s talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I see it as ambitious …my take is that Munster’s hands were tied …they see Crowley as a 12 not a 10 atm and you’d have to say justifiably ….Irfu :Andy Farrell see him as a 10 and want him played as a 10 …Ben knows that for some reason Farrell dosnt rate him and thus he’ll just get starts here and there with Munster .hard blame him and credit to him for having the balls to make a v hard call ….Crowley had a golden chance last year to go to La Rochelle for 2 years which would of crowned him but for whatever reason took the east option …..jury for me on Crowley as a 10 is still out he has the X factor and all the promise but until he shows it consistently that’s all it is ……the comparasion with Jj at same stage are similar and we saw how his career ended up

Ben will be a big loss to Munster ….even more so if Crowley dosnt progress and with Crowley and carbery away on Irish duty we will be threadbare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

What kind of game time did he get? How did he fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Crowley had a golden chance last year to go to La Rochelle for 2 years which would of crowned him but for whatever reason took the east option

Going to LAR would have meant sitting on a different bench in a sunnier climate and no chance of test rugby. He was never going to be starting big games there.

Whether staying was the "east" option is debatable but it looks like he's been vindicated.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The lengths people will go to to avoid the clear and obvious “Healy isn’t rated by Munster ahead of Crowley” is strange. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Never said he wasn’t rated by Munster …..in fact I think they rated him highly ….but Andy Farrell and Irfu don’t seem to and this will feed back to giving Crowley more game time at 10 over Ben ……imo Ben is the better 10 may not have the POTEINTAL or X factor of Crowley but a more rounded 10

• Advertisement

Farrell had 3 squads this year (4 if you include the EI tour) Healy wasn't included in any of those. Nor was he included in the A game v NZ in the RDS. The guy has declared he wants international caps. Scotland saw what was happening to him here at home and came a calling for the second time. Would any player with ambitions to play international rugby hang around in those circumstances?

Advertisement