Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are times I don’t think this man lives on the same plane of reality as the rest of us. This is nice in idea but with acute housing shortages and very public backlash, expanding this policy doesn’t seem grounded in reality

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The clue is in the thread title, as I have repeatedly stated in this thread

More off topic posts deleted - threadbans will be applied for dragging the thread off topic again

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...and the following posters are now threadbanned

1800_Ladladlad

woody22

Search Party

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

While Roderick O'Gorman is "looking into the causes of" increased demand on "international protection" he might want to take a look in the mirror at him sending of a global invite for own door accommodation in Ireland written in multiple languages including if I'm not mistaken Albanian and Georgia n.

I'm normally against conspiracy theories but actions like this either show low IQ or Mal intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

From Georgia and Algeria, not at war last I checked, why did they leave?, dont know, dont care, why did they pass through or fly over war torn France/UK and not stay?, dont know dont care. Are they taking away resources from more deserving cases, the lesson seems to be dont know, dont care

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the Irish public have not been consulted and/or given their say on this matter. Which potentially spells major trouble down the road. Is it too much to expect that there could be comprehensive public debate on the pros & cons of increased immigration, followed by a public vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This is half the issue. The supposed lovers of "democracy" have no care for a pure democracy, where the peoples voice truly matters. It's an inconvenience, or even a danger to them. They tell us all the time how the majority is with them, yet all the same they aren't willing to bet on it and that tells us a lot.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

O’Gorman has completely lost the run of himself on this. Acting without any mandate for all this.

Will be writing to Eamon Ryan to let him know his party mate has lost any vote for the greens from me for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Next Govt will be almost certainly be a coalition.

SF or FG/FF will most probably need the support of a smaller party.

Both the Greens and Aontu have their religious Ideologies (fervors) of sorts but Aontu are the only ones questioning mass immigration. The greens seem hell bent on it.... They'll be getting my vote to keep the others in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

You are not getting any referendum on the issue. Get that idea our of your head. They're not going to allow it. Just listen to him talk - "we have to be prepared to receive much larger numbers". He says there is going to be climate refugees and other types of refugees in the future. He's only going to facilitate this. He would not be one to try to slow down or stop it. And all the major parties are on board.

I recommend that people vote the Irish freedom party. Herman Kelly seems a sound man. I understand the desire to stay in the euro and all that but I think we can see that there is indeed no such thing as a free lunch. And the cost of this lunch for me is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And news in we’re getting a referendum on the right to housing for all!!!

Oh Ireland buckle up, things are going to get very interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aontu are of the left ( not WOKE left however) , only thing conservative about them is opposition to abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I recommend that people vote the Irish freedom party. Herman Kelly seems a sound man

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes but the point being made was that if Aontu left the religion stuff out of their policies they would have more success getting the right leaning voters to back them -

I think if Renua and Aontu left the religion bit out of their policies they would have more success getting the right leaning voters to back them.

My point was that it’s not the religion thing that puts right leaning voters off, it’s the fact that they’re nuts.

Besides, I wouldn’t support their policies on immigration either, and I think that was the basis of Galwayguys argument to increase their popularity with right leaning voters. It assumes right leaning voters are opposed to immigration. They’re not. Right leaning voters are fully in favour of cheap labour in a free enterprise market capitalist economy. They get that with FG. Why would they vote for any other party? FG’s policies with regard to immigration are entirely in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

You say those parties are nuts (I'd agree with you there)

How much more nuts is what's happening here? I was chatting to a mate of mine in Scotland and was telling him about Rodders call to come to Ireland and have your own gaff in 4 months.He obviously thought I was joking and definitely didn't believe me when I said this was translated into the likes of Georgian and Albanian.

It is exactly that,beyond belief yet here we are.

Well to be fair, it’s no wonder he didn’t believe you, I don’t believe you either, because there was nothing in the invitation about anyone having their own gaff within four months, it was only ever own-door accommodation.

There was nothing about ownership, and even then he was only parroting the idea which had been floated a year earlier, proposing own-door accommodation within three months under a HAP style scheme -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/asylum-seekers-would-be-given-own-door-accommodation-after-three-months-under-ambitious-direct-provision-proposal-39651296.html

The whole point of the exercise wasn’t to invite immigrants per se, it was simply to make it appear as though the Government was doing something to dismantle Direct Provision. Their timing was impeccable really, means they now have a legitimate excuse as to why it’s totally going to take longer than expected to dismantle Direct Provision, but in the meantime they’re planning on giving landlords tax breaks -

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/tax-relief-for-landlords-on-fridges-in-bid-to-halt-exodus-from-rental-market-42258493.html

Here we are indeed. I can already hear the landlords - “Get in!” 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I also said nothing about ownership

My understanding is the government are going to pay for houses for all these people,be it HAP or build new ones, have I got that wrong?

That first link is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The white paper on ending Direct Provision is unworkable aspirational nonsense. Nearly 200 pages of things we'd like to do, but have absolutely no chance of doing.

The reality is successive governments have kept DP as a deterrent for people seeking asylum, with basic rights having to be forced by the courts.

On a separate note, this did make me laugh.

Can you imagine the state of the Karen that whipped up that frenzy. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Being given your own gaff is far from being the same thing as being eligible for own-door accommodation. Their accommodation would be provided for by the State, using public funds, paid to either local authorities or private landlords, through a scheme similar to the HAP scheme -

After three months, asylum seekers would be moved to own-door temporary accommodation spread across the country which councils would be legally bound to provide, through ring-fenced funding.

Local councils would use private rental accommodation to house asylum seekers, in a similar way to how homeless people are housed in private rental tenancies through HAP.

It was basically never a realistic prospect in any sense, it was just because the Government were getting heat about Direct Provision and the cost of it, but now they can kill a couple of birds with the one stone - maintain Direct Provision, keeping all the people making money from that scheme happy, and they can keep private landlords happy, and they can still appear as though they really care about housing and immigrants and all the rest of it.

It’s a win-win all round really!

You hardly imagine any Georgians or Albanians were following Roderic on Twitter and thought “pack up your shìt lads, we’re heading for Ireland!” It wasn’t for their benefit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Leo is way ahead of you, answered that one back in 2019 -

“Too often, the sad reality is that the alternative is what happens in France and Greece and Italy which are camps and containers and I am determined we never reach that point in Ireland.”

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/direct-provision-is-imperfect-but-alternative-is-camps-and-containers-varadkar-38666801.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Well like everything else he tries lets hope he fails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Compared to tents and containers DP doesn't seem much of a deterrent

No I don’t think I will actually, that’s just spiteful. I’d hardly call being the Taoiseach a fail, dunno what standards you’re working off.

True, compared to tents and containers DP isn’t much of a deterrent, but we don’t have to copy other countries even more miserable failures to deter illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A better deterrent would be to put the word out there they will no longer have free access to the health service or courts and will get no money at all no matter how small.

Anyone acting the bollix showing up with nothing to prove who they are won't be let in.

Georgians and Albanians will no longer be accepted into this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

God be with the days when the son of the local bigwig could properly teach some pesky quiet foreigners just who owned the town and the chip vans. And get elected after it too.

These days there are just too many foreigners for you to outnumber them and give them a kicking for having the audacity to order chips before you. The whole world is in a state of chassis

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the same people are providing accommodation to the visitors at a hefty price to the State. If you want to give out about people being given accommodation in private facilities, maybe take it up with the owners. I don't know who owns any particular hotel you might have an issue with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

People need to look back to why DP was first introduced. Ireland was becoming a very popular destination for asylum applications as we were giving out own door accommodation to all comers. From the mid 90s the numbers arriving was steadily increasing and it was becoming unsustainable.

Funnily enough, when direct provision was introduced the number of applications for asylum suddenly dropped... I can't figure out why....

I've no issue with people needing help for genuine reasons such as war in Syria and Ukraine. We need to speed up the processing of applications and boot out those who are chancing their arm as quickly as possible.

Advertisement