Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Have you got kids? Its not your 'whataboutery' or whatever else you want to demon trend-label when you actually care what your children are being taught by the same state you pay much much money into supposedly running.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course its whataboutery - you cant really call "whatabout this and whatabout that" much else.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Label it all the Hell you want Anna, you can label it 'scataboutery' 'whataboutery' whatever the Hell else you want to, if you don't have children and aren't responsible for their ultimate wellbeing and development within actual society and civilization, your just as demeaned to the label of 'whataboutery' also, because you have literally no single clue what you are trying to defend and align yourself to.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My point was that if it had been part of the curriculum when you grew up, you would see that it isn't a big deal today

Not necessarily true astro, certainly not in Ireland anyway. There’s plenty of precedent for other topics which were taught in school thirty years ago that cause far more division in Irish society among adults today because to them it IS still such a big deal, that as adults they campaign to remove it from Irish schools entirely or, as in this case, they want it IN schools, regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school, in the form of what they’re calling the Provision of Objective Sex Education Bill -

Bill entitled an Act to guarantee the right of students to receive factual and objective relationships and sexuality education without regard to the characteristic spirit of the school

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2018/34/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Outrage? This is an online message board. Not sure how you can pick up "Outrage" from someones text on it, but I amn't outraged.

Your definition of "outrage" needs some serious tweaking.

I am a concerned parent. Concerned to hear that this type of thing may be brought into the minds of kids as young as four. Kids who would not even bat an eyelid (at that age) at any individual. Kids are the MOST accepting of all age groups.

Granted, the devil is in the detail here and it'll probably end up like religion for most teachers (in that it's on the curriculum but it's a very minor part of what is actually taught) IF some time is afforded to it on the curriculum but it shouldn't be aimed at kids under 11 in my opinion.

If my 4 year old kid has questions of this nature, I'd prefer to field them and I'd prefer to use the "real" world as a learning opportunity.

If it does end up on the curriculum I will be interested to know the detail as any parent would, as it would enevitibily end up in homework and in additional questions.

Some questions which to be honest, grown adults, who are "experts" in their field can't actually agree on, particularity when it comes to transgender participation in sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I like how many of the same posters often up in arms about how trans issues are a huge issue all across society are suddenly convinced there's no need to introduce it in schools as it's a marginal issue that affects on a tiny fraction of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How would you know? Oh and yes they do. It has been proven that a Trans persons brain is not like others of there labelled gender and that is why they are different. It all depends on how the person is raised to do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who actually benefits from a 5 year knowing about this.

I'm in my 30s and I have only even known one transgender person, when I say know, I have never had a conversation with the person.

How many primary school kids are going to encounter transgender people?

What exactly is the argument for kids learning about something they may never encounter.

Why exactly should they be told about this.

I can understand if in a school there is a transgender person than it can be explained on that basis.

But I have no idea what benefit kids get out of this on a national level.

It seems like a small minority of adults who want kids to be informed about them.

School is a place where kids learn and grow.

Teaching them this has no place in schools, it does not benefit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I cannot possibly! You should not believe some shmuck from an internet forum. I find it prudent to let professionals educate me. For example, you can read the views of a recognised psychologist here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s about political indoctrination, kids are very susceptible to propaganda, that’s why religious teaching always took place in schools ( my wife and I tell our kids that not everyone believes in God as we don’t and yes they heard about God in school as we never mentioned God to them ) , the trans lobby are an increasingly powerful wing of the progressive movement and obviously teaching kids about “transgenderism “ is a clever tactic to gain life long believers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The fashionable cause du jour of the first world yet again.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Children learn sex education from age 11. What's wrong with implementing homosexuality and transgender issues into that?

The whole 'let kids be kids' bollocks really is grating. If we're letting them be 'kids' then why are we, for the most part, entrenching them with the beliefs of a religious organisation that is truly abhorrent in its values?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Who is talking about teaching five-year-old children this?

More stupid hyperbole that has zero basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

More nonsense virtue signalling from O'Gorman. Unfortunately the gullible idiots in his constituency will probably lap this up and think he's a great fella.

If he and people in government really wanted to improve schools in this country they would have made steps to seize every school from the trusteeship of the Catholic Church and turn them into 100% proper public schools rather than the nonsense situation we have now where people have to send their children to schools under the trusteeship of the church despite being atheists.

That would be something that very few apart from some religious nuts would object to.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yep, I've also never met a school teacher/principal who wouldn't take into account a parents concerns on what's being taught and come to a solution over it amicably (Mr. Burke being the exception that proves the rule of course ;))

Go to the school and talk to the teacher, what's taught in school will be at the very basic level, that stuff "exists" and barely anything more and they'll accommodate your kids if you want to teach them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

I teach in a primary school, and have spoken to children about transgenderism in the past, and respecting everyone no matter what- I've heard them talking about it- they know all about it from social media anyway.

The issue is what we as teachers will be asked to teach. My belief is that it's a case of boys feeling as if they are girls and vice versa. If they tell me that we have to teach them that a boy who says he is a girl is actually a girl, well they can feck off with that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

They probably know a lot of it already what with rainbow flags, pride week etc it’s very much around them. My first year niece was telling me the other day some of the first year girls have girlfriends and are lesbians. I did a double take! Very complicated world for young people growing up now. The days of kids being kids is fast disappearing, sad really.

But its not, I posted a link to a real story.

Are you suggesting a section of society should be treated differently for who or what they love?

Mental illness is real too, seems what's considered a mental illness today is acceptable tommorow.

There is a reason for that, at that age many kids are starting puberty, it's beneficial to inform children why their body is going through changes or about to do so.

No kid is learning about sexuality, only body changes and the reproduction system of humans.

• Advertisement

Yep, I've also never met a school teacher/principal who wouldn't take into account a parents concerns on what's being taught and come to a solution over it amicably (Mr. Burke being the exception that proves the rule of course ;))

Ahh now, just because you’ve never met ‘em doesn’t mean… y’know 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is kinda the point: if you teach kids about it early (and I mean 11/12 not 4/5 just to be clear) then it might prevent said mental issues as the start puberty - which can be stressful enough as it is.

The problem with your approach is the assumption that every kid is going to grow up heterosexual and cis (or whatever word you prefer to use in it's place) and I'd argue that the meanings and defintions of the alternates should be taught.

Telling people that ther is something wrong or not normal about them is what's going to cause mental health issues. And sweeping it under the carpet is going to give them the impression that, because the school/teacher/system is shying away from the topic that they're keeping hidden

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

The issues with teaching transgender ideology “transcends” notions of hetro and homosexuality - which typically mean you were born one sex, and you are sexually attracted to one particular sex.

Within the transgender spectrum, you can be born the wrong gender/sex and identify strongly with the other, or you can be gender fluid. Or even pangender, novigender etc.

the data shows that gender dsyphoria is experienced by more children who are homosexual as adults. This would suggest they are most at risk of the transgender ideology experiment - I.e. unwanted or irreversible life decisions as children which are later regretted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I'm going to stop you at "ideaology". No one's talking ideaology. We're talkiing basic definitions and basics here, not ideaologies.

the data shows that gender dsyphoria is experienced by more children who are homosexual

I’d love to see that data 😁

Meanwhile -

Sexual orientation distribution

In the United States, transgender respondents to one 2015 survey self-identified as queer (21%), pansexual (18%), gaylesbian, or same-gender-loving (16%), straight (15%), bisexual (14%), and asexual (10%). A second study found 23% reported being gay, lesbian, or same-gender-loving, 25% bisexual, 4% asexual, 23% queer, 23% straight and 2% something else.

Transgender women

A 2015 survey of roughly 3,000 American trans womenshowed that at least 60% were attracted to women. Of the trans women respondents 27% answered gay, lesbian, or same-gender-loving, 20% answered bisexual, 19% heterosexual, 16% pansexual, 6% answered asexual, 6% queer, and 6% did not answer.

Transgender men

A 2015 survey of roughly 2000 American trans men showed more variation in sexual orientation or sexual identity among trans men. 23% identified as heterosexual or straight. The vast majority (65%) identified their sexual orientation or sexual identity as queer (24%), pansexual (17%), bisexual (12%), gay/same-gender loving (12%), asexual (7%), and 5% did not answer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_sexuality

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Orb threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is absolutely nothing to back up your statements that kids learning something about genders or puberty whether it be at school or elsewhere leads to less mental illness. I'd argue that currently kids have never had as much access to knowledge at their fingertips or indeed such an accepting world, relative to decades ago, yet mental illness is on a significant upward curve.

Again I would also be speaking about eleven year olds and upwards.

Well of course there isn't - we haven't done it yet.

In any case, it's not the knowledge I'm talking about. If education was just about knoweldge and everything's at their fingertips we wouldn't need schools or education in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The government & some ministers have proved to me time & time again that they aren’t too be trusted & don’t have any accountability for their actions.

This is too big of a complex issue for them to handle & they need to be kept well away from it.

Not as if there isn’t other things they can be doing, like building homes, helping sick people in hospitals.

Do any of you think O Gorman gives one **** about any of these kid’s?

He will be long gone on a nice pension & no accountability.

this can’t happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement