Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jay432

The place where I live doesn't have many and I looked at photos on their FB page and the members are all old. I dont know where else to meet someone

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s just not often we come across somebody whose attitude, quite frankly, stinks :) Perhaps you are as pretty as you say you are, but your negativity possibly shows on your face and frightens them off…

I agree but the clubs and groups around here seem to be older men

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They might be lazy, or they might be able to tell what they are potentially dealing with from the start................ 😋

• Advertisement

ok il stay single forever thanks for the advice👍️

No interest in it. Bores the crap out me...I'd sooner ignite something with random bloke I work with. (I've a rule of not being with people I work with so that isnt really happening) though I'd feel more connection was the point.

couldnt have said it better! so what's the answer for us🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Ah I see. The OP had just wanted this to be another thread bashing Irish men and we ruined it. I wonder how my exotic and non Irish blood could resist her charme. It could have been my chance to eternal happiness

Nobody owes anyone else anything. Women don't owe any individual man relationships or dates or sex. And men don't owe any individual woman any of those either.

It's up to you to decide what you want and make your choices based off that. There is a full spectrum of people out there for both women and men. The "higher" you aim, the more competition you'll have. If you try to compete out of your league you'll lose every match. Simple as that.

Find your own level and accept it. You can potentially increase it with effort. But to a limit

• Advertisement

I understand the frustration, the only thing I'd say is you're coming across very very negative here, which is fair given your experiences but is there any chance that's also coming across on your dating profile/interactions? It might be a deterrent.

If it's Irish men that you aren't clicking with, have you tried dating other nationalities? Sorry if you mentioned that and I missed it. There are plenty of guys from different nationalities living in Ireland. I actually haven't dated anyone Irish in a while and I live here, albeit that's coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a rule of not being with people I work with

I've that same rule but I work with men so.... Now if I was working for the playboy magazine that rule would go out the window.

You're in like Flynn though after them as soon as they leave the company?

Im not this negative to their face but I have a resentment towards them. I've dated a lot of nationalities but their sense of humour isnt the same so it looks like ill have to settle for someone or stay single

It might still be coming across if you have any underlying resentment, maybe just keep an eye on it when you're chatting. Try to stay open even if you're feeling cynical.

So now we've established you like Irish guys because they have a good sense of humour - that's positive. What else do you look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Greyfox

"Find your own level and accept it"

This is 100% correct, all men and women should be doing this as it leads to happiness.. the problem is this is very very hard with the way the apps are designed to keep you always thinking their might be someone better.

Ah you should stick to the rule lol...won't be that hard considering it's unlikely you'll be working for theplayboymagazine.

True. I've tried dating many types of men but I'm (unfortunately) only attracted to dark hair/ feature men and because I am tall, taller than me and I have dated men shorter and didn't like it. I also would like someone caring, funny, active. Any ideas where to find them? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know where you would find the perfect male specimen at a magic the gathering meet.

What is your minimum height for the fella?

I just googled and found this site https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/ . If you put in Ireland and male and say 6', then it tells you that 1-in-6 are taller.

Given that height is a physical characteristic which seems to attract most women, then if you are aiming for a 6'+ man, you'd want to be in roughly the top 15-20% of potential female options for the fella (and that is assuming that all of them want to settle down). Because you are competing with all the other females for the same 1-in-6 lads.

Are you in the top 15-20%? You could be top 15-20% in your own age group, but that doesn't necessarily mean top 15-20% of potential options. Give me 50 23-year-olds and 50 31-year-olds and let me rank all 100 in terms of attractiveness............there's not going to be an even split making it into the overall top 20......

You're entitled to go for what you want. And I'd advise anyone to aim as high as they can. No harm to be realistic though. Does it seem unfair? Well it's no more unfair than it is to the 5'11 fella who won't pass your (hypothetical) filter. A good chunk of the women at least have had the advantage of being in that overall top 15-20% at some stage in their life. That was the opportunity to "lock" someone in

• Advertisement

Ok well, that's not an extensive checklist. I also completely understand the height thing when you're tall yourself. I think it was just the way you worded your other posts that made it seem like you were being very negative, whereas in this post it doesn't seem that way at all. So that's something to think about in how you respond to guys too, it's really easy to pick up a tone from someone and get put off.

so your preferences are:

• Tall (ish?)
    • Dark hair (does it matter if it's shaved/balding?)
    • Caring
    • Funny
    • Active

The good news is there are lots of guys like that online, depending on the age bracket you're open to and what dealbreakers you might have.

I'm older than you (36) and I've come across them (I go for dark hair too so maybe we're after the same guys😅). You said that you'd be happier single than settling for someone you're not happy with, is that genuinely true? Because if you're truly happy in your own company, the resentment you're talking about really shouldn't be there. Like you said, you're choosing not to settle, that's a decision you're making for yourself and it's a good one. But it does mean that you may not meet someone who you want to settle down with. So I'd say try to take the pressure off. Rather than actively "dating" just get on with your life, have a look at the apps now and then, and message someone if you're particularly interested. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I'm not at all preoccupied with "dating" or being in a relationship, I'm quite happy on my own and if I come across someone I like then that's even better. If I don't, that's okay. And for that reason, I don't get stressed or wound up about people messaging me or replying or matching or whatever.

I don't know if that helps at all, but hopefully it's of some use!

Continuing along the height line, you said this

I also completely understand the height thing when you're tall yourself.

The poster said this:

and because I am tall, taller than me

I don't understand why it would be more understandable for a tall girl to want someone taller than her than, say, for a short girl to want someone taller than her. I'd expect a girl who was 6' to be more open to dating someone shorter than her compared to say the openness of a 5'2" girl to dating someone shorter than her

If a man makes 20k a year, to me it would seem understandable that he wants to find someone who makes more than him and he might restrict himself as such. But if the man makes 1m, it would seem a bit counterintuitive to me for someone to think that that makes it more reasonable for him to restrict his targets to those that make more than him.

I didn't say it wasn't understandable for a short girl to want a guy taller than her.

What I don't think is understandable, is a short girl saying "guys 6ft and over only". I think that's understandable if a girl is tall herself.

I find people get very caught up with height on these threads in general. Some people have height preferences in terms of what they're attracted to, some people have those preferences based on their own height, and that's all fine. I just personally think a 5ft girl ruling out guys under 6ft is a bit ridiculous.

She can do that if she wants. But it's like my example of the million-earning fella restricting himself to women who earn more than him. He already has an advantage compared to most others, and would probably get a lot of attention from lots of women .......... but he decides to handicap himself by targetting a small pool. Maybe the 1m+ women are the top 1% .... but is he the top 1% of their potential suitors. Ultimately that's his choice. But if he can't find someone then maybe his self-imposed restriction bears a lot of the blame.

If you want to restrict yourself to the most-sought-after 20% of males then just make sure you are in the most-sought-after top 20% of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I didn’t really think men targeted women (or restricted) based on income - I would have thought if they were inclined to target based on something a wee bit shallow it would be looks! I mean there’s many examples out there

I'm not sure where you're going with this. The poster is tall and would prefer a guy taller than her.

What does that have to do with shorter women restricting their dating pool by only dating tall men?

We all have preferences in terms of what we're attracted to and that restricts the dating pool, what's why apps have filters. The OP has said she doesn't want to settle just for the sake of it.

It was an analogy to put the same logic in a different context.

(BTW, some men do actually target higher earning women. Not many, but some do)

Yes in Athlone, thank you for your idea and upbeat attitude. I needed it. I had a brilliant time with a completely different woman.

She lives a few minutes away from the Hotel. Just came back from walking her home. Having a couple of beers in the hotel room now.

• Advertisement

I was curious as to your distinction between short and tall women. The poster said basically "I want a man who is taller than me because I am tall". She didn't say "I want a man who is relatively taller than me". You basically replied to the effect that "that makes sense because you are tall". I only said that one would expect the relative thing to be valid regardless of the absolute height.

(BTW, and it is a different point, but a 5'10 girl who restricts her filter to 6'+ men will have the same number of men passing that filter as the 5'2" girl with the same filter.)

Advertisement