Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pretty hard to use the internet without being able to read or write in fairness.

Again, my point is we have never had more access to information than we have now. Theres never been as big a focus on mental health as there is now (some might say there still isn't enough) yet mental health issues of all types in teens is increasing.

My point is you cannot say with any certainty that increasing a focus on a particular topic will lead to a decrease in mental health issues when the evidence I see in the bigger picture would suggest this isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I never said it would - I cleary said it "might". But even if it prevented one case mental health issue in one kid, it would have done something.

Beyond that, I don't see your objections - it's not like there's anything to lose form a mental health perspective.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you can with a straight face claim the current trend of Transgenderism isn't an ideology I really don't know what to say to you. Those same "basic definitions and basics" are all over the place and extremely newly minted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "the current trend of Transenderism", you're talking about something beyond said basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would ask, how do you make out that there's nothing to lose from a mental health perspective?

I appreciate we do not know the details of this suggestion by ROG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why does a 5 year old need to know about what a transgender person is?

What benefit does a child get from being told?

Kids go to school to benefit them, how does this benefit them?

Who is actually benefitting here?

Well, the same way I know trhat there's nothing to lose by teaching primary school kids Irish, religion, history, science and so on....

Are you just going to keep asking me "how do you know:?" every time I make a statement? How do you know that I don't know the details of the suggestion? How do you know I'm not actually O'Gorman posting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness definitions are not available for this topic. We have everyone up to politicians and scientists unable or unwilling to define what a woman is. A wrong definition could lead to scandal, even if an innocent mistake. I’m afraid this climate of fear has all the hallmarks of an ideology.

I don’t know how this topic can be thought in schools without availability of the most basic definitions. I think the definitions need to be clarified and generally agreed first.

Science has actually defined what a woman is - most people just don't like the definition and that's where the opposition comes from. And as far as I know, there's no "climate of fear" and if there is, I doubt that it's resulting in professional scientists and politicians turning away and saying, "nah, let's not do this - we don't know what it all means." But the same could be said for the same education at secondary school and even beyond.

Pretty much every post I've read this morning is of the "don't do this because something bad might happen" variety whilst not actually defining what that 'bad' thing is. Anyone got anything beyond the hypothetical?

Who are the most put out by this and what is your proof they would have benefited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

5 year olds have been exposed to lunatic ideas for as long as there's been an education system. Religion primary among them. Just so happens transgenderism and ideas about boys/girls "being born in the wrong body" is the current societal brain fart. No doubt it'll claim some victims, but there's always something doing that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The scientific definition of a women is now commonly deemed inappropriate so I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Also, children ask a lot of deep questions. Will the teachers a be able to handle that and know what to do if a boy says he is a girl and will be using the girls bathroom.

Well homosexuals are two people of the same sex that people know are the same sex.

We have come a long way and are more accepting of homosexuals which is great, one of my best friends is gay.

Transgender is a feeling people have in there head, with homosexuals it is two men who I can see, when a man says he is a woman, I see a man so it exists in his head.

I would bet the majority of Transgender people suffer mental health issues because of a few loudmouths who try ram ideas down normal people who just want to get on with life.

Was it Dublin parade they threw a hissy fit when asked a few questions about what being Transgender is.

Yet people think we should tell kids about something trans activists won't actually talk about when asked difficult questions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

From watching the clip, it seems more like he was boxed in to having to answer the way he did, he couldn't very well say he wouldn't want to see it come in. I take it as Roderic being Roderic, of course he's going to be in favour of the most progressive agenda for schools possible, whatever the political difficulties of it going ahead.

When we talk about teaching about transgender issues what are we really talking about?

It's gender identity theory in some form or another. The same ideas that we find HR in various companies rolling out in the past few years. It advises sex is 'assigned' at birth, rather than observed. People can decide they have been assigned the wrong sex and change sex, and we're told they are then literally the other sex they identify as. Gender is decoupled from sex and we are advised there is a multiplicity of gender identities to choose from, some of them so nuanced that they are hard to define.

It's true that primary school children are trusting and will accept many things they are told (Observe what happens during religious preparation for first communions...) and it's for this reason I wouldn't like to see any elements of the gender identity theory taught as facts in primary schools. It would be wrong to tell an impressionable child that it is possible to change sex.

(Certainly it's possible to live as if you're the opposite sex, and I believe people should be accomodated insofar as possible and treated with compassion. I don't deny transgender people exist)

At primary school age I'd much rather we teach that there are two sexes, and after that the focus should be on avoiding early stereotyping by sex i.e Boys look like this, girls look like that, boys like this, girls like that.

I think there are valid arguments that teaching tenets of gender identity theory as fact does have harmful consequences in schools. For a start, it can gaslight some young non gender non conforming people into wrongly believing that they have been 'assigned' the wrong sex, although obviously this is an issue at secondary school age. This is a time when many young people are uncomfortable with their bodies, questioning their sexuality etc and honestly gender identity theory further confuses matters.

My personal view is that many young trans people would have been gender non conforming people in the past, perhaps often gay, and some will still desist to that anyway. Hopefully without having pursued life changing medical interventions unnecessarily.

I'd also argue there is at least some evidence that among young women there is a contagion effect in terms if groups of young girls presenting as trans when their peers are identifying as such.

Having said the above, I actually do think that some discussion of gender identity theory is unavoidable at secondary level. It's one of the big social issues of our day and it should be spoken about. Just not without critique. Gender identity theory should be presented but so should gender critical counterpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think it would be more helpful for the nations children if “Roderic” sorted out the chronic lack of child mental health services in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How about we start with things like transgenderism that effects about 0.01% of the population, and go from there. They're much more likely to meet someone with spina bifida or Hodgkin's lymphoma than transgenderism, should we teach them about those too?? Where does it end? School should be there to educate, not indoctrinate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thread has now completed its migration into the Daily Mail comments section. Well done everyone. We got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yes, imagining you are something you are not, is completely and utterly different from imagining you are something you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Where is the line between body dysmorphia and normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

All the exact same attacks that were used against homosexuals are now being used against transgender people. The exact same.

Claiming it's really a mental illness, "they're ramming it down our throats" (by merely existing), it's not natural, there's no scientific basis for it, we shouldn't be pandering to a tiny minority, it's all in their head, they're only looking for attention, they're degenerates trying to indoctrinate our kids, "next they'll want to marry a horse" (now that's become "next they'll want to identify as a horse", "I don't mind what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms - but why do they have to shove it down our throats?" (by merely existing): it's all the exact same playbook that went on for decades among homophobes.

And fortunately we have come a long way, and those kinds of opinions about gay people are now only held by a tiny fringe minority of extreme bigots. Even the vast majority of regular conservative people accept homosexuality as natural and normal. There's still work to be done, but we forget just how bad it was for gay people within living memory, and how much work had to be put in to bringing about the change.

The acceptance of transgender people isn't quite there yet, but it's well on its way. Many from the older generations clearly have a problem with it, but take a look at the youth coming up - they have a very, very different and accepting attitude to it. All the major political parties support these kinds of initiatives, and their voters are cool with it - support from trans issues is actually becoming mainstream in the real world (CA/IMHO is not the real world).

In 20 years time, the kinds of attitudes we're seeing on this thread will be as outdated and embarrassing as the standard 70's and 80's attitudes to gay people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is this an issue for you? Why? if you have kids, ask the teacher to give them other work when this goes on. The remaining kids will learn some of the basics and get on with their lives and probably understand the benefit of learning about the world around them.

This is the benefit of the doubt here, given your posting elsewhere, this is likely an issue for you to rail against.

The attitudes on this thread are mainly about primary school kids not being told about it.

The spokesperson for Dublin pride stormed off when asked a few questions on the topic.

How can anyone then advocate for kids to be told about something a spokesperson won't even discuss.

I don't think people accept transgender people, it's just people don't care.

Most people have more important things to worry about in life.

There are very few transgender people in ireland and I would wager most people have never had a conversation with one.

So most people don't care, its when this sort of thing is pushed onto primary kids that's when people care.

It is an issue for me because I do have kids in primary school.

Why do primary school kids need to learn the basics of this?

Do primary school kids learn about gay, lesbians and people with disabilities.

They are very likely to encounter those people.

They might never have a conversation with a transgender person.

So tell me who benefits from kids being told about this because kids don't benefit from it and kids go to school to learn and benefit from learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, some people in the 70s and 80s were up in arms about gayness being "pushed onto" children by merely talking about the subject to them too. They soon discovered that it's not contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Primary school teacher here. I did all of this with my class last year. It was in no way "indoctrinating" them - that's just how we are expected to teach religion. I did it in June (pride month) and it was just a "different families in our society" manner. I covered heterosexual couples, same-sex couples, single parent families, transgender couples, couples where one is transgender and one is not, interracial couples. No one is saying we need to beat children over the head with any of these as a single lesson. However, my class and parents loved the approach and it actually lasted for about 3 weeks in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The scientific definition of a women is now commonly deemed inappropriate so I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Says who?

Also, children ask a lot of deep questions. Will the teachers a be able to handle that and know what to do if a boy says he is a girl and will be using the girls bathroom.

They're professional people who's entire job is answeting childrens' questions, deep and otherwise - why wouldn't they?

EDIT - there's a post two posts above this from a teacher - answers your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the thing is people generally accept being gay as being innate and is clearly not a pre teen issue anyway, transgenderism when talking about young kids looks different, if you see a 5 year old being paraded about in the media, we have a vegan cat situation, you know a parent is driving the bus. it just looks like you could push a kid down the transgender route when it maybe a more complex situation, related to autism perhaps and other mental issues.

Once someone turn 18 I dont care what free choices they make, but kids by definition havnt fully matured and as adults kids should be protected from being radicalised on the internet etc. or presenting kids with false choices /decisions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They learn about the world, they learn about what seemingly sends one of their guardians frothing at the mouth. If it's important enough for you to get worked up about, then it's probably important enough to learn about (more than a lot of the facts they'll learn at school, never use, but are important knowledge nonetheless).

You are literally making it beneficial to learn about.

And had you learned more about the world at that age, you may not be so insular today. Food for thought.

And if you feel really strongly about this thing which doesn't matter and shouldn't be taught, you can ask the school to exclude your kids from lessons about it. Ain't that great?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

transgenders are between the child and the parents and the school too many busy bodys making it there business loads of them dont even have kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement