Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

While I'm sure that your right to some extent about ESB networks working with Electric ireland, there's actually some laws around that, where they have to be careful about colluding. When they spun off Eircell from Eircom in the 90's into the cell phone market, there was similar grievances from 3, etc at the time and they had to operate on a "fair level playing field". Course we all know that behind the scenes, where Mick knows Paddy for 20+ years when they were a part of the same company this is more of a token nod, but yeah.....

The thing is though, is that ESB networks....the guys pushing the smart meters don't directly get a penny more than the wholesale cost (as far as I am aware - please correct me if I'm wrong). If SSE or Energia can charge €0.80/kwh and get customers willing to spend that, more power to them.

I like the concept of Smart meters. It's just the tarrifs that are the issue. To be fair though, most of us with solar and now FIT.....we're pretty insulated from the shite prices anyway. Many of us import zero or close to zero for 7-8 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I imported 2 MWh in December alone! all electric house with an EV.....3.5 MWh for the billing period (60 days). 60% of that was on night rate though. Lucky though got the €200 gov credit and €300 FIT payment so softened the blow by a lot

Why I want to change to a smart meter from my D/N is that I am not getting full credit from my total PV exported and not getting the best EV charging rate.

EI have a smart rate with no peak rate but with a EV rate from 2-4am, the day and nigh rates are the same practically as the D/N meter so no loss there. If I move to this smart rate I will get full credit for my PV export should have been over €800 instead of 300 so a saving of €500 and also if I charge my car exclusively as best as possible between 2-4am (14kWh x 150 days x 9 cent saving = €187 saving.)

SO by moving to the smart rate it will save me at least €500/year (after FIT Tax) on my bills and usage its worth it for me.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Absolutely in your case it makes perfect sense. You however have a massive array with a great orientation producing a lot of surplus units that I for one am very Jealous off.

It may be the case that in the long run it makes sense for me to go that way I don’t know yet I’d have to see yearly production to see if the gain from fit would offset my winter usage. Like you we are all electric but no EV. Then of course the elephant in the room, what’s going to happen to day/night meter anyway!! Oh that and revenue.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to disagree, they are rolled out as cost saving devices with no mention of environmental drive

From ESB Networks...reduction of energy and cost savings are all that are mentioned

What is a smart meter?

A smart meter is a digital meter that measures the energy you use and sends readings directly to your supplier. The meter is offered with an in-home display that provides the householder with up to the minute information on their energy use. The bills are generally more accurate and up to date, plus smart meters have been proven to reduce energy use; saving you money.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Energia told me that they're halting all microgeneration payments pending info from ESB. Even for deemed customers which is daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I think we can all agree that a by product of the introduction of smart meters has been the opportunity for energy providers to rejig their pricing to their own benefit(as evidenced by the fact that most smart tariffs are more expensive)also it just so happens that smart meter roll out has also coincided with hyper energy inflation which muddies the waters further.

We also need to remember it is government policy that peak rates be introduced to domestic customers to curb peak demand.Having the dinner between 5-7pm will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm perfectly happy with deemed export. I've exported around 40kWh since september - most of that was in a couple of days before my batteries were installed - but have been paid for hundreds. Long may it last.

I'm not surprised by that comment from Energia, @DrPhilG , as they still havent fixed my bill from last month. The deemed fit was fine but the unit rates for actual use was off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

ESBN calculate/supply the deemed rate, not Energia, so doesn't matter if you're measured or deemed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah but since Energia paid me the deemed rate last bill, what more are they waiting for from ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It literally doesn't get any simpler than deemed FIT. Energia give us 1.2kW per day. The bill will be X days. Where's the problem? Is it that they're making a balls of actual FIT and don't want anyone to get anything?

They have no problem adjusting your unit rates mid bill, even when they don't know how many units you've used on DN/24hr meters they tell you you've used X on the old rate and Y on the new rate. But a fixed deemed FIT and an actual measured FIT, they can't do.

Is there anyone, anywhere, not **** something up in this country at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

LMGTFY : "smart meters environment"

"This next generation of digital electricity meters will benefit us all. Smart meters will help us all become more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly."

They don't do the deemed calculation they just work from the kwh supplied.

They are waiting on the next set of data from esb. No idea who's fault, bad system on esbn or poor processing on Energia, I have no idea.

I dunno about smart meters being energy-efficient. I mean if your washing machine needs 2Kwhr to function, not sure how a smart meter is going to make that more energy efficient. People will use what they need to use (or save) irrespective of introduction of smart meters.

However, it is fair to say that they will improve environmental aspects. Why/how? Well, typically the % mix of renewables in the grid generation is greater at night. This is why we get better night rates, so if you force someone to move their washing machine from 6pm where it's being provided for by coal/gas powered electricity generation to wind, then that does indeed make it more environmental - but yeah, the comment about energy-efficient is questionable.

Perhaps where they are going there is that knowledge breeds change, so if you know what's using what you might turn off the lights etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

IMHO, the value of smart meters will come from the in-home displays (IHDs). For reasons unknown, this was left to the last phase of the Irish smart meter roll out.

Most people on this forum would have a good idea of what is driving their energy usage, but for the average user, they haven't got a clue, only a big bill at the end of month. I set my father up with an old Geo Minim+ CT meter that I wasn't using anymore, and he has been on to me the whole time about it; "Did you know that the electric shower uses 8kW?!?" etc.

That is the value and the environmental benefits of smart meters. It will change behaviour. It is a real shame that they have been rolled out in the manner that they have (no immediate benefits for the end user, only uncompetitive tariffs).

As for myself, I'll be sticking with my day/night meter for the moment, but when smart meters make sense, I'll move across. Getting access to realtime meter information via the P1 port would be a nice bonus too.

Most people on this forum would have a good idea of what is driving their energy usage, but for the average user, they haven't got a clue, only a big bill at the end of month.

Couldn't agree more on this. You'd be stunned at how many people have only a vague idea that a washing machine will use "x" units or that the tumble dryer is to be avoided if you can. To be fair though, the recent advertising initiatives about "when is a good time" does highlight some of the more power hungry devices, so they are on the right track there IMHO.

Surprised folk don't know anything with an element drives your electrical cost, apart from the shower and hob everything else should state kW usage on the underside/back of the device. Kettle/toaster/oven/hob/dryer/dishwasher/washing machine all have elements and should be first to be managed through maximising loads or shifting to lesser demand times or when replacing replacing with a more efficient version. Usage has been prominently placed to inform consumer for years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Understanding what this value means - still requires "math" that the average person is just not going to spend any time thinking about it.

Could they take that energy label - and apply local costing for the country where its sold?

It wouldnt take much effort to pull out average cost of cooking - based on each appliance rating. This might encourage someone to buy an A rated more expensive appliance versus buying a cheaper D rated device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

reckon we are in the minority when it comes to being interested electrical usage, efficiency, automation, etc.. most people don't know because they don't care, they care deeply though about I'm a celebrity..., bakeoffs, <insert latest mental chewing gum> etc.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Yeah, Been on the lookout for a new hob for the parents. And basically saying that they should go induction now, as the heat transfer is a lot less wasteful vs tradtional element or gas. One of the hobs have failed (the tea making one!) shame whane they got it, it was an odd ball size. Might need a new piece of granite for the worktop.. urgh.

Its touched on in this video, (its comparing an electric kettle, stovetop, and induction) but principle is the same

Also to an aside, this is how airfryers can be cheaper than ovens.

Yeah, the demographics of the people reading/writing here wouldn't be indicative of your average Joe Bloggs. We tend to have an interest in this stuff. That's not to say that your average person "doesn't care" or that they are idiots, far from it, it's more that 2Kw means very little to them. Plenty of (smart) people I know will "glaze over and nod" when you try to explain that a 1kwhr is a "unit" - LOL.

Might be going of the OP, but I like those Energy ratings though. They are a good way of comparing easily one brand consumption over another, but they don't really give a good sense of consumption. A "C rated" Fridge is going to have a lower consumption than a A++ rated tumble dryer etc, but personally they have swayed me to buy a more efficient model, so that's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Big reveal coming… 😊

Most people have never needed to care about energy prices as they have been low (cheap fossil fuels). This year is the first major ramp up in prices I remember. Sure, prices have been slowly tipping up for years, but it’s been a slow rise. So they never had a reason to bother, the ‘why to care’ was missing. They have now.

Up to now, energy costs per house service have been a low-ish % of people’s overall cost of living (in general). Typically 3 energy bills per house: 1) electricity, 2) home heating - gas / oil 3) ‘motion lotion’ - petrol / diesel. But many here now when we add them all, it’s a larger %.

And there are more exciting areas to spend limited time on. Going to bonkers is what a lot consider to be ‘saving’ – which it is, to be fair. Won’t reduce usage or load shift, but reduces costs.

Sure, I’m a geek about it and we’ve many other geeks here - and I mean that in a positive way in the sense we’re interested in it and can save money for our families.

For other recurring bills (like health insurance say) I spend a relative amount of time on the renewal yearly (more cost is more time I’ll spend, so less on bins, more on family health costs). So get a better cost, better fitting plan…. But I don’t obsess. Strangely I do obsess with energy. I like seeing my habits make it more efficient. Small changes add up  😊

That's the joy of the labelling, the consumer does not need to know their rates etc, G = shite, A = The Best, even I would not work out the lifetime cost of usage on a G versus A, I just buy the most efficient. When I took redundancy and two years out to renovate the house myself (stupid contractor pricing) I sold every electrical white good (apart from the fridge which is still going strong 22years later) in the house and replaced with the most efficient available. I wasn't interested in payback or finances, I just know that over long service lives the investment would pay off. This was over a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Regarding heat transfer, it very much depends what kind of house you live in. I'm building a passive house at the moment which will have a gas hob. This is partly because where the house is suffers from blackouts in stormy weather (an electric hob ain't much use in a blackout), partly because I prefer to cook with gas but one of the main reasons is that it contributes to space heating (heating demand will be just 2,361kWh/a according to my PHPP).

So in essence what I'm saying is the less inefficient gas hob doesn't lose the heat produced in a passive house as it would in a non passive house.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

If building from scratch would you not put in a changeover switch to move the house over to battery power (in case of a blackout) and an induction hob

I have a gas hob.. a bottle does us about a year... Then it empties.. then the one for the bbq is nicked.. and bbq one refilled 😂

If you had a ceramic hob, same logic would apply too. But when in summer.. you don't need that extra heat either.. then it is wasted.

The budget might not stretch to a battery, we'll see. I know DIY is a low cost option but I'd be wary of going down that route seeing as my experience with electricity is limited to changing plugs and light bulbs.

I'll certainly put in a hybrid inverter and changeover switch in anticipation of the battery coming down the road in 12 months or so.

Now to go back to the topic.........I'm putting in a 6kW array and Eddi. The battery is as I said above will probably come along 12 months or so after completion, I won't have an EV by the time the house is finished later in the autumn (probably late 2024 at earliest for the EV) but may future proof and put in the charger now. The question I'm pondering is would I be better off putting in a day/night meter now and avail of fixed payment from the supplier or go smart and flog whatever excess I have to the grid?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Always go D/N, even the likes of washing machine, immersion, dishwasher etc at night rate make it worthwhile

If leaving cabling for car charger point run three cat 5 cables for future proofing

I think you're right. I can always switch later on but not if I install the smart meter from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Do everything now if you can. Less hassle later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have a 6 kWp array and got €320 for the year off Electric Ireland, if I got paid what I actually exported it should have been over €800 (before tax). I only got my EV in mid July so I was exporting a lot during the peak months which I hope I wont be doing next year so should be less.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement