Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• I never really understand why anyone would do that journey by road / rail to save €40.00 it makes little sense. You'd spend it on petrol and your time / hassle is worth a lot more than that.

What I suspect though is the people giving out about lack of routes on social media aren't the same people who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I agree with the above. Between fuel, toil fees parking not much saved in monetary terms. But the time and just shire convenience of cork or shannon airports. Then they are the exact peope complaining its not served enough or when they lose routes. Same with shannon i work in limerick and a colleague who one day was getting the green bus from limerick to dublin airport to fly into london Heathrow 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ryanair have Shannon by the balls. They pay little or no fees up there. At a guess, I would say that's why the route is now there and not in Cork.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Routes aren't as simple as X many people live here so they're all going to fly.

Other than the airport giving predictions it's absolutely impossible to tell what the passenger numbers will be for 2023, which hasn't even started yet. We have no idea what the winter season next year will bring. Take this year's numbers and add a little bit on for the new routes cork has gained, is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They do, but they have Cork, Knock and Kerry by the balls too. If you've looked at aviation in Ireland in the past 20 years Ryanair has been clattering the airports wickedly against each other for years now. At least in the last few years they're managing to do it without removing as much service as they used to.

Thanks to Aer Lingus' cuts and disinterest to regional airports too this shows no sign of changing in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Not much saved? My car does about 45mpg on the motorway. Add in tolls and it'd cost me about €100 return to get to/from Dublin airport. Even with 2 in the car it's €50 each and leaving home about 5/6 hours before the flight.

Yeah, but I guess the difference between Cork and the other smaller airports in the region, is that it's busy enough that they can tell Ryanair to feck off with their Newcastle flight, if they expect to use the airport for nothing.

Agreed about the Dublin flag carrier, Aer Lingus. Their lack of interest makes it easier for Ryanair to flex their muscles with the smaller airports. It's crucial Cork get more airlines in. The more routes KLM, Air France and Swiss do the better. Hopefully Vueling expand beyond the Paris flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Dublin airport is a pain to use from Cork, it’s on the wrong side of Dublin and the railway route isn’t even connected to it so you can’t avoid the roads. Land on a late Friday afternoon and you’re stuck on the m50 for ages trying to get back to Cork. They didn’t have a functioning toilet on the air coaches either ( Covid they said) the last couple of times I used that bus.

The heavy reliance on the UK flights is limiting. Since Brexit, more flights to Europe would be handy, as the trade partners and markets shifted. The flight schedules in Cork are stuck in pre-Brexit for work travel, loads of UK flights and the rest are mainly holiday spots. Malaga is great for hols, but not as much use for work, we could do with Frankfurt, Brussels, Geneva…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

KLM is saving me grief this year - although they are only running one daily flights I'm connecting through Amsterdam everytime now rather than going to Dublin.... only if the flights were about €200-ish cheaper through Dublin would I bother going up there.

Once you take diesel, tolls, more expensive parking into account, plus the time involved, plus how you have to leave six hours before the flights (3 hour drive, 1 hour for a crash on the M50 plus at least two before the flight). Or Cork, where I just leave home two hours before. Its a no brainer really.

Now, I'm lucky in that I had no problems with Schiphol this summer, but still.

The one time I connected through there (a couple of months back), KLM cancelled one flight, meaning I had to come back a day later. And the first return flight got delayed to the point that I only made the second flight by running through the airport, just getting to the gate with a minute to spare. A stressful experience. Probably just got unlucky, but not sure I'd do it again unless I really had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

I had Amsterdam booked with Aer lingus for early march. They cancelled evening flight coming back. Have rebooked again for May now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

Just checking flights to lanzarote Oct 21 to Nov 5 ,Aer lingus 800+ return for 2 people ,Ryanair 600+ for same . I go around this time every

Year usually around 500 or less , thinking should I wait a bit.

From Cork by the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I paid the bones of €1000 for flights to Lanzarote from Cork last October in roughly the same time period. Aer Lingus and Ryanair were the same price, and that was without bags or anything. We'd only booked a couple of months ahead of time though, so definitely keep an eye on prices to see if they come down (and let me know if they do!).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

Will do,

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Looking to book flights for May,

noticed I am not getting many options from BA basically air Lingus to Heathrow and then on,

anyone else notice this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, BA have heathrow as their hub, so that's basically what you get with them.

Be wary of heathrow at the moment though, their scanners in T2 and T5 are very finnicky whatever way they calibrated them recently, and you can be stuck for 40 mins to 2 hours in the security transfer there. I have gone through heathrow 3 times already this year, and no matter what country I start in, I'm a clear scan everywhere else and bleep bleep on the metal detector and a bag search at LHR. There isn't a gram of metal on me, I don't wear zips or any jewellery going through security, just undies, sweatshirt, tracksuit bottoms and soft shoes with socks. It's dog slow, about 75% of people are getting bleeped.

Schipol on the other hand, painful last summer, is currently much faster than LHR for european connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Yah was looking at Amsterdam for transfers but flight times don’t work out for Asian country’s 8 hours waiting around !!!!

might have to go to Dublin as the flight times are not working out from cork even the Air France flights are the same transfers do not work out

2.24 for 2022. Not a bad recovery. Onwards and upwards for 2023 with some more new routes

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

So is that it for destinations from Cork for 2023? No announcements from Aer Lingus.

Was hoping to be able to get to Lisbon or Dubrovnik in June. Porto from Shannon and onwards to Douro Valley or Madeira also tempting but late May/start June possibly risky with cool weather. And was in Dubrovnik area last year, wouldn't mind something new.

The regionals arent really a focus for aerlingus anymore. In fairness to cork they are doing their bit to attract other airline. Would love to see Iberia coming back. Defo scope for the likes of Lisbon

Heard good reports about Valencia last year. Thats year round and good weather for the time your thinking off

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not sure if it has been posted here but it looks like Aerlingus have started to load Cork-CDG for the Winter 23' season, assumably filling the gap left by AirFrance going summer seasonal. Looks like flights are Friday and Monday. As of now only Sept and Oct are loaded.

I see Aerlingus Regional announced routes for Knock and Belfast today. Are they ever going to come back to Cork or are they gone for good? You'd imagine one or two of Glasgow, Bristol, Cardiff, LBA or Newquay could be run? They could possibly even squeeze in a few days for Birmingham as the Ryanair schedule to there is very limited.

We seem to be done with Summer 23' announcements and overall its been very underwhelming in my opinion. No sign of the covid losses Barcelona, Lisbon, Budapest, Naples or Malta coming back. Some of the long desired routes like Berlin, Budapest, Prague, Athens, Krakow and Brussels remain elusive. The less likely sexy routes such as Delta to JFK or Logan, United to Newark, BA to London City and Turkish to Istanbul seem a million miles away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aer Lingus have Paris flights loaded for September and October for the Rugby World Cup. I wouldn’t take it as a sign that they’ll be continuing on beyond that tbh.

Aer Lingus mainline are announcing that NOC-LHR flight today to replace the Gatwick route. No net gain of capacity for the airport but a massive asset for Knock going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Just looking at the ORK - CDG return for the world cup. About €800 return per person to go for the SA or SCO game. No wonder they are bringing back the flights.

Regarding Barcelona, Ryanair have Girona and Reus starting again in March.

But ya, I agree. Very underwhelming. As usual it's mainly just more frequency for sun destinations. Cork had better city break destinations 15 years ago than it does now.

Ya I know. Aerlingus used to fly to BCN from Cork which was far more convenient than either Girona or Reus

Still better than nothing anyway..

That's another one that should be all year round, as it's a good summer and city break destination. Only over the last couple of months I know 5 people who at different times have had to fly out of Dublin to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm going to Barcelona tomorrow and I'm going with KLM via Amsterdam. Screw going to Dublin.

Two days there, then a train to Valencia, two nights there and the direct flight with Ryanair back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Since when can you only fly to Paris with aer lingus and not until September. Would of thought a very busy route all year

Advertisement