Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I agree.

Do you have a source for that photo, btw?

You express sympathy for young Russian men sent off to fight in Ukraine.

My point was slightly different, but it seems to have gone over several posters' heads. In any war, soldiers get killed, maimed, shell-shocked and wounded, and this is sad, but it is also a logical outcome of war.

What I took issue with was a poster (more than one actually) who rejoices in the death of soldiers. This is utterly sick; sort of understandable maybe if the soldiers are your immediate enemy perhaps, but on an Irish website I have to say I'm disgusted at people laughing at the death of individual soldiers in a conflict that we are not party to, and even if we are somehow involved and most of us despise Putin, there is no conflict between any individual Russian soldier and Ireland.

As John Donne wrote, "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind". Given this, I'd be sympathetic to anyone who is conscripted into any army to fight their master's war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, was all set to full fill his election promise, when Putin made him an offer he could not refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Meanwhile in Russia any criticism of the offensive in Ukraine is punishable with jail time, while words such as "war" and "invasion" are banned.

I didn't realise Russia was running Ukraine in 2010. Thanks for the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭crusd

When you spout nonsense of course multiple people are going to point it out.

Some only seem think "debate" means being permitted to post any old shite without challenge.

Thanks for your interesting comments, they add sooooo much to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

What do you think there is to debate exactly?? Russia are the definite aggressors here. Honourable nations are doing their best to help Ukraine defend itself. The Russian army is, as we know definitively, full of criminals, mercs and rapists. The Russian people are cold hearted especially the older generations and in the face of what's going on, they are generally cowards who are incapable of going against anything their dear leader stipulates.

As far as I'm concerned the Ukrainians couldn't kill enough of them......

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

Even the weather doesn't like the SMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If you wish for better consideration of ‘contrarian’ and/or ‘bothsiding’-type arguments in Russia/Ukraine debate, you may be in the wrong section of Boards, try the politics sub-forum, there’s a sister thread. You likely wouldn’t get any easier a ride there, insofar as debating on the merits is concerned, but you should have a little cushion of extra civility for that ride, relative to here. High standards of argumentation and evidence required, note.

Alternatively, of course, it may simply be that posters are not ganging up on you to suppress you, as such: you’re just sometimes, or oftentimes, on the wrong side of this particular debate, in terms of ethics, morality, equity and such, kinda like “bothsiding the SS and the Communist Army like it’s 1941 again”, and you just can’t see it.

All just friendly suggestions 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Absolute karma....expected to hit -22C in Moscow this weekend. That shower of good for nothings were bragging on New Year's Eve on state TV about how western Europe was "freezing" because of the SMO this winter and how lucky everyone was to live in Russia (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yes everyone has a secret chat going. Careful you’re not on the list!

Maybe people are acting on their own and are not impressed with those who support a regime who permits raping (children and adults), murdering, pillaging…. Maybe people have encountered the exact same BS lies they have been countered repeatedly and want to nip it in the bud rather than give the lies air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Russia was running Yanukovych though, and that's the same thing. Just like Putin controls Lukashenko, and pretty soon we will see just how much he controls him. However Putins control of the ex USSR states is slipping big time. Kazakhstan being the latest to tell Putin to buzz off and keep his nose out of Kazakhstan business. Other members of the CIS are watching with interest what's happening in Ukraine, especially now that they cannot depend on Putin to support them if they need him. Or more important, his power to intimidate or control them.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If you want to come in here and repeat Putin's propaganda, okay, but like him, you are acting the victim when it's addressed and exposed.

I'm not unused to being on the minority side of a debate, so that aspect is frequently a given. But when I see people laughing at others being killed I do draw a line, and several posters here have done so, and sometimes in the most obnoxious manner. I suspect anyone laughing at Ukrainians being killed would be given short shrift on this thread - and rightly so.

Dying in a war as a conscript is one of the saddest things possible. Dying as a member of an elite unit, mind, or even as a regular soldier is different - still sad for your family of course, but when you signed up you knew that was a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It turns out Hungary is paying something like 10% more for their Russian gas than if they got it via the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Noted that instead of trying to refute the arguments put to you, which completely shred your claims to pieces and demonstrate your ignorance of basic facts about the situation - you play the victim card.

What stock debating tactic will you roll out next? We've already had whataboutery, false equivalence which you double down on now by implying we are using Nazi tactics against you.

I'll remind you:

The war started because the Ukrainian people refused to accept Russia's attempts to reduce it to a client state like Belarus, whether through corruption, economic war or outright war. With Yanukovych as the Lukashenko equivalent lapdog stooge.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, I think most people understand your point. War can be brutal & people on all sides get killed and maimed. It's far outside the norms etc.

The sympathy boat sailed though when Russian forces rolled across the borders of Ukraine 10 months ago.

The death of these young Russian men and Ukrainian men, women and children may sicken us but there comes a point where you must accept what is the road to least evil.

And that is the reality, these Russian military are either killed and/or driven out or allowed to murder, conquer, rape and pillage.

What's your preference, which is worse??

Apparently anyone who doesn't lick Zelensky's nether regions is spreading "Putin's propaganda". It's like Bush's comment re Afghanistan, or was it Iraq - "If you're not with me then you're against me". That worked out well - didn't it?

Well, no, that's not the case here either. People are allowed to stand back and try to make sense of the situation they observe. Believe it or not, it is possible to dislike both sides in a conflict. It is possible to try to look behind the day to day events and try to make sense of what you see, try to work out what is real, what is propaganda etc.

One of sources I follow is liveuamaps.com, a Ukrainian source, to see whether there have been any changes on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Where have I attacked you or that other poster? I asked you a question which you are of course ignoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Being listening to this podcast for a while but yesterdays episode was particularly good

Their guest, Dr Rory Finnin a Professor of Crimean history from Cambridge blows a hole in the whole 'but Crimea is Russian' and gives a really good synopsis of the whole Crimean Tartar ethnic cleansing. This campaign to remove native Crimeans and replace with loyal Russian subjects that was first proposed by Peter the Great, started by Catherine the Great and brutally completed by Stalin post WWII.

What I found interesting is that was that after they removed the native Tartars and replaced them with Russians there was massive famine and poverty as the knowledge of how to farm and cultivate the land had died with Tarters in the gulags in Siberia. This is why Kruschev had to 'gift' Crimea back to Ukraine proper as without the Ukrainian knowledge of how the manage the delicate eco system the whole peninsula was heading for disaster.

The (Soviet) Ukranians managed to avoid this disaster but of course now under Putin the we're going back to same 'eliminate the experts' / 'appoint loyal idiots' policy last seen since Uncle Joe was running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I hear the Russians follow that source too because they are compulsive liars and can’t get truthful reports back from the front lines.

Apparently anyone who doesn't lick Zelensky's nether regions is spreading "Putin's propaganda". 

Projection.

I've seen your posts before on this subject before. Multiple posters have pointed out and explained to you that you've been producing pro-Kremlin talking points.

Believe it or not, it is possible to dislike both sides in a conflict.

There are those who use this "both-sides-ism" as an excuse to minimise Russia's actions and responsibility whilst concern-trolling about Ukraine and by extension the West. It's literally the propaganda used by Moscow ("Yes we're bad, but here are a bunch of lies and distortions to suggest they are just as bad")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

There’s much, much sadder still.

From dying in a war as a forced conscript, to dying in a war as civilian collateral damage, all the way to infants killed still in their mother’s womb.

Which reminds me, that only one side in this conflict has been deliberately targeting hospitals and nurseries, with the casualties to match, and still does.

So, well, you have your ‘lines’. And other posters have theirs. I don’t fancy yours, much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Then they run off saying "I wanted to debate!" without actually starting a debate. No proposal to discuss, e.g., "Russia was justified in its invasion of Ukraine, why or why not?" Or "Actions by Ukraine require international intervention, why or why not?"

Basic stuff. Just another self-professed 'contrarian' who is a legend in their own mind. And, way too lazy to look back on this thread to find out 1) Livuamaps has been mentioned here many times, at least 1 or 2 posters regularly read it and summarize the latest news 2) Talking about pre-invasion Ukraine wrt corruption by Yanukovych has been done to death here.

And complaining when some lame Putinbot who didn't understand what the .ie business meant is shown to be phony.

Sad, and predictable. I think this most recent one is just a 'useful idiot.' Vague memories of it showing up on the anti-vaxx threads, too, arguing the nonscientific 'contrarian' position, and losing the argument.

If Russia were invading Ireland right now, blowing us and our families to bits, guaranteed there'd be whataboutists online "concerned" about the corruption in Ireland or complaining that they couldn't express their dislike of "both sides".

Yes, it's interesting alright.

Most of southern and eastern Ukraine was part of the Crimean Khanate for hundreds of years before the Russians conquered it in the 1700s, IIRC.

They repopulated the area, calling it New Russia, with anyone who would come, including a mishmash of Ukrainians, Cossacks, Germans, Russians and god knows who else. It was quite like what the US did as they expanded westwards in the 19th century, and much the same as how the Canadian prairies were settled by Europeans in the 1880s-1910.

There was a particulrly infamous case in the 19th century - the Circassians, who were 'white' Muslims that were ethnically cleansed from the area sotheast of the Sea of Azov and north of the Caucasus. Ironically, I've even seen claims that their lands are part of Ukraine, because many of the people who later colonised Circassia came from Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"If you're not with me then you're against me"

Now you understand. In times of brutal war and particularly when said war is enveloping the borders of Europe, you don't stand on the fence anymore. You are obliged to take one side or the other, despite your reservations.

Which side are you on? If you think that it's best that Russia prevail - just state that and be done with it.

If you think Ukraine should prevail and be allowed to control their own destiny, then state that.

There's no in between - it's one or the other. "If you're not with me then you're against me"

• Advertisement

And complaining when some lame Putinbot who didn't understand what the .ie business meant is shown to be phony.

All the Z-bots are out in force today!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement