Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query

Options
  • 04-01-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Woukd it be possible to grow black walnut trees in Ireland, also, if I was to spend 50k on land for these trees , I'm thinking a hill that isn't much good for anything else, plantvthe trees , come back in 25 years and reso the rewards ? Is this too simplicity a view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

I expect the saplings are extortionate expensive.

Hill might be too dry almost for them.

Hardwood so I assume at least 60 years to mature to size worth cutting. I suspect in 25 years they would be mostly 10 inches max at base.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Depends on the hardwood and location. Seen mixed broadleaf plantations giving decent cuttings for furniture grade turnings close to 25 years after planting. Saw a good example of this on John Earley's place in Leitrim a few years back while doing a hedge laying course there.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Sorry for hijacking your thread slightly but I've some dry hills that slope down into rushy areas that would be quiet wet now but dry in the spring - would love to plant some hardwoods on them (ideally native). What would be the best options? Not doing it for commercial reasons.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Alder and willow will thrive in the damper areas. Scots Pine, Crab apple, Wild cherry, Whitebeam on the drier sloping ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement