Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What?????

There has always been a cinema planned there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You're easily excitable eh..

There was also a bustling shopping centre "planned" with anchor tennant, the latter at least has yet to come to fruition. 🤷‍♂️

I'll await to hear locally how it progress' as obviously a touchy subject on here.

🤣🤣🤣

Touchy subject. Nah. You on a wind up?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cool. Stella Cinema is opening in Bray soon. 👍

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Just back from a trip to Wicklow Town and you immediately notice how it's thriving compared to our main street. Loads of interesting cafes and independent shops. I wonder why Bray can't sustain the same? If anything, Wicklow is worse for traffic and parking. Wicklow has lots of new housing estates in the vicinity but so does Bray....

With all of the empty units in Bray - you would think the rents wouldn't be too bad but I have no idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The issue could be Bray’s proximity to Dublin and Dundrum in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's exactly it. Wicklow has less choice than Bray people.

I'm still amazed that nothing has been announced for retail in Bray Central. Signing of contracts has been "imminent" for about 6 months now according to councilors and local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I was in Bray Town recently and tbh I'd forgotten how bad the place is. The town is filthy and every second shop is either a charity shop or a pound shop and lots of down at heel looking people.

Why is it like that do the people take absolutely no pride in the place I mean the town has potential to be a nice place but it seems Bray people prefer cheap and tacky. It's like everywhere else is trying to improve and Bray is stuck in a 1980s time warp.

Honestly, what kind of reaction do you think this post will receive here?

• Advertisement

Truth hurts. The town is a dump full of undesirables. The place is like the Irish version of Jaywick

Nonsense. I loved living in Bray and would move back there in a heartbeat. What has this got to do with new shops/businesses in Bray btw?

Okay maybe my Jaywick comparison was a bit of exaggeration. My point is why would you set up a business in Bray Town that isn't a pound shop or a charity shop and expect to make any sort of money.

Okay a nice restaurant might do well on the seafront but the main street is a kip and if the council cleaned up the place and did something to keep out the riff raff they might actually attract a higher standard of business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@mikeybhoy

Please desist from name calling and sweeping generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Without going off topic. I moved to Bray over 5 years ago, bought a house not too far from main street. I couldn't see myself living anywhere else in Ireland if I'm honest.

I do have to admit though the town can look grubby at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The seafront area sucks in all the good stuff and is always busy. I think this is one of the issues for Bray town, it is almost like 2 towns, the main street and the seafront. The main street is trying to compete with a much more attractive nearby option. I suppose for retail a lot of people like the nearby Dundrum shopping center (I don't like the place, I prefer going into the city).

I wouldn't agree with all of this. The seafront is a different proposition to the Main St.

The seafront attracts people from far and wide for facilities it has such as beach, scenery, Bray Head/Cliff Walk and even the Amusements/Slots as people would not have this on their own doorstep/vicinity.

The Main Street never attracted these people as it offers nothing that people's hometown or other shopping center can offer.

So I wouldn't say the seafront sucks all the good stuff, it's just a different proposition and the people who come are not interested in shopping or the Main St.

However, Bray Main Street does not provide enough options for locals let alone outsiders and that's what needs to improve but that is always going to be difficult with modern shopping centres in the area and on-line shopping.

That's why I think Bray should rethink it self and go for services and night time economy. So more restaurants and entertainment and arts as I think it's next to impossible for Bray to compete on a retail level even with if Penneys and another major store go into Bray Central.

Finally the comments from poster above about the town being full of undesirables is just spiteful bile not based on fact.

Bray has a population of approx 30-35k with the vast majority of areas being desired/good. For some reason people who don't really know Bray that weill like to go online and call it rough etc. Drives me mad.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

For full disclosure, I live in the town and I think it is a great place to live and bring up children. We go out very regularly, with and without the kids. For the most part we would remain in Bray for food and drinks. I think one thing we are missing is a higher end restaurant, something like "Woodruff" in Stepaside would be amazing.

There is a difference between the seafront and the main street alright. The main street has some good places, like Duff's and the wild goose. Even as a local, I always find myself just heading down to the seafront as it is much nicer.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm from the town and I have lived in a few places around the world. It wasn't until I returned that I realised just how nice a town it is. There's nowhere on the East Coast I'd rather live.

What has really surprised me is the number of people I meet now who have picked Bray as a place to move to - not because they couldn't afford somewhere closer to the city, but because of the proximity to sea / mountains and Dublin.

What also struck me was the lack of negativity towards the town from these 'new' arrivals (within the last 1 to 10 years) - they might have heard that Bray had a bad rep in the 80s but that isn't on their radar now. They don't see the 'roughness' that the town had been known for.

There is a lot more negativity from certain quarters in the town than you'd ever hear from visitors and new arrivals. I'd put a lot of that down to them never having lived anywhere else and don't see what's on their doorstep and then just a negative mindset like you see on Bray Open Forum.

The Main St can look a bit rough and there are empty units around - like most towns. That said, I can pick up most things that I need in the town.

Given the choice, where would most people rather go for food / drinks - the picturesque setting of the seafront or the Main St? It's a no brainer really.

• Advertisement

But people always go towards the sea. Go to any resort in Europe. Bars and restaurants on the seafront are always busier than up the town no matter how nice it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

As I live closer to the main street than the seafront I tend to go to the likes of Jasmine House, Pink Salt, Katamandu for food. Pints wise, Duffs, The Wild Goose, Adrmore (for the sport) and Tin Roof for some music. Apart from the Harbour Bar and O'Drisscolls, I wouldn't go to other pubs on the seafront. In saying that I have been to Butler and Barry over the Christmas a couple of times and the food is spot on. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I'm one of the newbies in town. Love living in Bray for all the reasons mentioned. Agree that the main street is run down and needs revitalising but even so we have a theater and hopefully a cinema on the way. Great pubs and restaurants as well. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

Also a blow-in of 8 years and speaking as someone from neither Wicklow, South Dublin or Leinster the "reputation" of Bray was never and has never been an issue for me. The people I've met with the biggest hang-ups re Bray tend not to be able to get past their own opinions of the main street, "Fassaroe" or "Oldcourt". As a town it has an absolutely fantastic location on the motorway network, next to the sea and next to the mountains.

I agree that the main street certainly suffers as a result of the seafront, there's no hiding and no getting away from that. The seafront is drawing business and custom that might have otherwise considered setting up there. It's hard at this point to see what sort of business would thrive on the main st. A cinema will be a huge boost if it ever happens, and I think the theater has the potential to be great but would need better bookings to bring people in. A major issue with the main st however is the trouble finding parking and the heavy congestion, both difficult to solve. Places like the independent wine shop that was there for a time, I'd love to go, but ultimately it's competing (for me) with O'Briens on the Vevey which is quicker and easier to get to, and has parking outside.

Welcome to Bray and the forum,

Nice to hear positive stories although you could be one of the "down at heel" people that a previous poster only saw in Bray.

We all agree that that the Main St could be better but I feel positives in Bray far outweigh the negatives.

It was chosen as one of the best places to live in Ireland by Irish Times in 2021 with the following

"Bray people are helpful, happy and have a hearty love of life. The mountains and the sea give it the prettiest of backdrops. Bray provides all manner of activities, from the wonderful Bray Wanderers, Bray Emmets and Bray Lakers to soccer, martial arts, Irish dancing and boxing clubs. The blue flag beach and a Victorian promenade attract families from all over Ireland and abroad. And it's free! We feel lucky."

What The Irish Times says "Bray's natural landscape makes it special. With its parks, walking routes, cycling opportunities and fresh sea air, it's clearly a great place for a growing family and young teens. The efficient transport system makes it handy to get in and out of Dublin for those working in the wider economy – or there's a co-working space for techies."

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-20-best-places-to-live-in-ireland-what-they-are-like-and-what-they-cost-1.4660076

So it must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

The parking would be the biggest issue for me. I live about a 20 minute drive away, and have lived in the area on and off for all of my life. I'd happily go to Bray to shop rather than having to drag myself into somewhere like Dundrum, but if I'm going to spend an age in traffic and then can't find parking, I'm going to go elsewhere. (Actually, to be fair, the weather is a bit of an issue too - the covered shopping centres have their attractions in Irish weather).

As an example I needed to go to a specialty food shop recently. I knew there was one near the Main St in Bray, but as I was going around 5pm, I just couldn't face the traffic or trying to figure out the parking options - so went elsewhere, where I knew access was easier.

Funny about the parking as even when Florence Rd car park closed I never found parking that bad.

Always spaces in Church Car Park, and also at Supervalu and many a time I'd park free in Lidl and walk up the town which is only 5 minutes. Mermaid/Civic Centre has always plenty of spaces too.

People though seem to want parking right in front of the shop they want to use.

Lots of parking now with addition of Bray Central car park

Traffic though that's another story and something that needs to addressed with better traffic light sequencing and smart systems but there's seems to be no interest in it.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

To be fair, it's a long time since I even tried to get parking. Church Car Park used to be my go-to spot, but it certainly went through a phase of being always full (admittedly, quite a while ago), so I just gave up and stopped thinking of Bray as an option. I still drive through fairly frequently, and the traffic doesn't encourage me to come back. Should probably give it a try again soon, especially with the Bray Central parking. There's still a good few shops on the Main Street I'd happily pop into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I've never found parking to be an issue either. I've always found somewhere in Quinsboro or Florence Road.

It may take a change of mindset to use the new carpark but it is central.

Part of the issue is that the town's retailers themselves park directly outside their own businesses and shops 🙄 for the whole day!

FYI, I've never seen a traffic warden around on Saturdays or rainy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I am not sure why parking is seen as an issue. There are plenty of places and even on very busy weekends I always find a place. It might not be in front of the shop you want, but you'll find somewhere. If all else fails, the "dirt" car park near the Dargle always has space, and costs nothing.

Parking near the seafront on a summer weekend is a different story though.

Advertisement