Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Belated Christmas Wishes, elves & Happy New Year to you all xxx I've had a total technological detox over the Christmas & it was lovely. Lots of pages to catch up on today but not sure I'll manage. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas & enjoyed some down time with your loved ones.

We had a quiet Christmas in the North East. Santy came & everyone was happy. Our Christmas (not-so)baby had her first birthday party in three years which was a great success. The pandemonium was delightful 😍 The rest of the break was spent chilling like villians on the couch or going for lazy strolls. Back to work today & kids back to school tomorrow. Thoroughly enjoyed the break from the routine but also looking forward to getting the kids back into a routine of bedtime & actually eating proper meals instead of snacking their way through the days.

Definitely do a kitchen tree. I always have the Nebraska in my kitchen & I love it! If you are "eat Christmas dinner in the kitchen" people, it's lovely having the tree lit beside the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I am thinking a second tree too kitchen tree I think we already have a theme… my bestie which is my little one’s godmother has already gave us a collection of Disney decorations to us the past 2 Christmases we have jungle book frozen beauty and the beast Winnie the Pooh plus lots more but very sentimental and fragile so we'll have to see how the little one is this year

She took a liking to a ballerina reindeer we have and she’s been dragged around every where 😂

Trying to stay cheery myself decorations still up and lights on from the minute we are up till bedtime, trying to keep busy focus on things to look forward too think this weekend we will do a nice roast all the trimmings and dessert for afters, I’ve a few admin bits to sort out, you can feel overwhelmed house needs a decluttering too and want to get the spare room finished , whole house needs new blinds left it too late to order for Christmas but sure it will be nice for the spring but for the moment decorations will be the first job the weekend, get some fresh air most days weather permitting and abit of balance on the food front then start on my to do list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good to hear you had a nice Christmas CL.

Same here re the routine. Has been a nice change of pace however wouldn't be upset getting the kids back to their routine especially the bedtime. We had all 3 up at midnight on New Years eve!!

They did better than I - I was fast asleep long before 12 bells! No stamina anymore :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Lots of long faces here this evening knowing they're back to school in the morning. I'm going to start taking down some decorations and the Christmas clothes and dishes are going away again until December.

OH started this last night, taking some of the Christmas related things from the kitchen and putting them up in the attic to be boxed away for another year.

So it starts :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads I'm just not ready for the tree to come down. I'm actually heartbroken thinking about it. Roll on November when the tree goes back up and there's nothing major to do but relax and enjoy the glow of the tree.

I think it's cause I'm sick I'm feeling this way but I felt COVID robbed alot of Christmas that I should be allowed to add it on Injury time style haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Leave it up as long as you want to. Feck convention! I've left mine up to the end of January the last two years and need to decide this year yet. It's either this weekend or in three weeks due to other stuff going on

Hope you're all feeling a bit better. Covid is a b*tch of an illness.

It was only some cooking/eating related items, plates, cups etc, that she was putting away, I wouldn't let her touch any of the decorations. They are staying till Fri and all Christmas lights will be on till bedtime. Might leave the lights on the tree out the front garden and put those on each night till about April, which we did a couple of years ago.

Funny you mention about relaxing and enjoying the glow of the tree. We didn't get to do that at all this year and it was my biggest let down with Christmas 2022. Maybe a small thing in the grand scheme of things however after looking forward to it for ages, taking the time to get all the decorations up etc and then not really getting to enjoy them is a bit of let down IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There's still time, I took 10 mins this morning at 8am to sit by the tree to soak some time in with the warmth and glow of the lights. No doubt I'll do it again tonight, tomorrow morning and tomorrow night too.

Very true. I guess I associate it with a glass of something nice, chatting to OH about last minute things to do or watching a Christmas film etc however can see how it could be anytime at all.

Will defo try to get some 'tree time' before bedtime Friday.

Live scenes 😭😢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The three of my trees are down. I'm devastated. We left some lights up and might leave them up all year. They're harness and make the house feel warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

We have lights all year out the back. They are lovely, even on a nice summers evening. Having said that, depending on the type, they might look a bit naff out the front after mid jan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back home and have all the Christmas tree lights on twinkling away. Will enjoy them tonight and tomorrow night before taking down on Saturday.

I am so tired I doubt I could face it before then anyway.

Gonna stick on a Christmas film later to try and see out whats left of the season, if I can stay awake that long.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Considering I was only back in Tuesday, this is turning out to be a helluva long week!! 😵‍💫

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bit sad seeing shops etc taking down their Christmas decorations before the 6th :/

we will have a long enough dreary January folks...

Completely agree! I keep expecting to see the 6th as the date today but it's still only the 5th... gonna be a long as$ month at this rate!

I took the empty boxes/containers down from the attic at lunch time as I won't get time to do it tomorrow, in anticipation of Saturday, I can tell you these boxes do not fill me with the same joy they did last November when I took them down in advance of putting the decorations up!!

• Advertisement

If this was December it would be the 15th already!

That will probably be me tonight. At this stage I think would pay someone to do it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Took down a load of stuff earlier. Just the tree, some of the lights in the house and the lights out front to take down along with some snow globes in the living room.

Mind you, I still need to pack it all away and stuff it in under the eaves in the attic. 😭

Just back pick up OH from the afters to a funeral in Blach, big accident on M50 fly over to M1, avoid it at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I did this too, brought all the boxes down from the attic, intending on packing everything away today/tomorrow. But then I started putting a few bits away and now it's nearly all done, apart from the tree. I took all the decorations and lights off, but won't have time to take the actual tree down. I wouldn't recommend it, now I have an unlit, undecorated tree sitting in the corner of the room, which is even more depressing than no tree 😥

When the decorations are up, they seem to take up a lot less space than the number of boxes would suggest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We are just back from Dublin and we drove through some torrential rain on the way down. As we were heading out on the M7 we passed 5 ambulances with blue lights heading into Dublin. Visibility was awful so I imagine that must have contributed to it. On a much happier note, we were at the Van Gogh experience and it was fantastic. Any of you that are near Artane should go and see it. If you do go then get the VIP tickets as you will be given access to the Virtual Reality section which is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

Lindt easter bunnies in Tesco yday - and Christmas not over yet ekk

Just turned tree lights off for second last time!

@Loughc took your advice and had 10 mins just me and the tree and just sat there and looked at it and tried not to think about too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Was saying this to the OH before Christmas re outside decorations.

Is there companies that come and do outside Christmas decorations? Design, put them up, take them down etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Our local window cleaner was advertising last year that he would put up Christmas lights. Not quite a decorating company, but some people (me included!) would not be able to get that high up a ladder to put the lights up!

Advertisement