Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Nbi site updated. Been pushed back 5 months again.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

My house finally went ready to connect this morning. I am so delighted especially since up until 2 weeks ago the NBI website was predicting a connection date between January and July 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Me too. Exactly 5 weeks between “Available for pre-order” and “Ready to Connect”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Here in the populous SE region - Anticipated date for connection: January 2025 - December 2026

Anticipated my arse, what does that mean? Four years and rolling, when did they say they'd finish by recently, 2028?

Didn't even reach the available to preorder stage. Just went straight to available to Connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Just got an email pushing my expected date to November 2022 - April 2023. I'm in the Waterford DA. Was previously September 2022 - January 2023. So close...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Minister Smyth still confident the roll-out will complete in 2026.

Deputy Ossian Smyth

Deputy Ó Cuív asked where we are on targets. We met the target for this year two months ahead of schedule. We had a target of 102,000 that was to be met by the end of January 2023 but was met by 1 December 2022. It is a seven-year project that started in 2020 and will be complete by the end of 2026. It has doubled the deployment speed this year compared to last year, in other words the number of homes being passed. It will complete on time and according to budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 decholden42

same here, in waterford da also, 3 weeks ago lads doing final checks said we would be able to order from 16th of december when it was supposed to go live,

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Was scheduled for install today. No sign of anyone. Called the installer on number they contacted me on last week and said the engineer would call. Nothing since. Has anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah 4 no shows so far, useless shower altogether. Not uncommon from what I'm hearing from others.

• Advertisement

Crazy. Waste of a day waiting around for them and I know it will probably be a two day job!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Received our ready for pre-order notification yesterday (Athlone DA). One of the providers that called back today said the system showed it would be ready to connect by the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Sorta off topic and more broadly a general FTTH question but why is 2 Gig Fibre not yet available in all 10G pon areas.

I’m aware the original Eir rural FTTH was GPON (users maxing at 1Gb), but since then both NBI and Eir Urban Implementations (and probably most of Siro’s) are using 10G XGS-PON so why aren’t all those areas now offering 2 Gig to end users. I’m aware some users can avail of 2 gig but resellers don’t seem to be offering it in most areas yet. Is it that the wholesaler isn’t offering it to the resellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I'd imagine it's largely down to a handful of key things:

1. Demand for a 2gb service - Most people don't even want the 1gb, as 500mbps is plenty for them, and the higher price will be a disincentive
    2. Most households couldn't fully exploit the 2gbps. They're using older wifi equipment and the wired clients are usually capped at 1gbps LAN ports
    3. The CPE (the wireless router that the ISPs give you) in many cases is not available with dual 2.5+gbps ports. (1xWAN, 1xLAN), so it would be crazy for an ISP to offer a 2gbps package that their own equipment can't practically exploit.

I suspect the impending launch of the Wifi 7 customer equipment will spur the ISPs to more broadly offer a 2gbps package. 2023 will be the first year of Wifi 7, but it should be mainstream (budget phone support) come 2024.

Whenever AVM launch a Wifi-7 supporting Fritzbox, I suspect a lot of the ISPs will be looking at offering the 2gbps product as Wifi 7 is mostly a pointless upgrade over Wifi 6 unless the WAN connection is great than 1gbps

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

I was scheduled for today. No sign of anyone. Even the courtesy of a phone call to say they weren't able to come would have been appreciated. It's very poor customer service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

As mentioned above the 2 gig service is very expensive and majority of households don't need this yet, perhaps for a few more years and end users equipment mostly can't handle these sort of speeds. I thought the 2gig service was available across all IFN areas but obviously not. This service is certainly not available to the rural FTTH network but maybe in a few years time it might be fingers crossed.

They called to today for install after the no show Monday. Well I thought it was install! Civil works, turns out I have no wire going to my house so need a telephone poll so another two week wait they said. There goes my hopes for install before Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Available to pre-order now at my very rural location in Longford. 1km to my nearest neighbour in one direction and 500m in the other direction. Very grateful that I've been lucky enough to be in an early phase of the intervention areas.

Department gives €2M to local authorities to speed up processing of NBI's planning applications.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/522d2-mobile-phone-and-broadband-taskforce-meeting-minutes/

A funding scheme has been developed by the National Broadband Plan team in DECC to assist Local Authorities and the Roads Management Office (RMO) to process planning applications from NBI. The fund for 2022 is €2 million to be distributed among all 31 Local Authorities and the RMO. 

This funding has been drawn down by all Local Authorities and officials from D/ECC are hosting regional meetings to better understand the issues at hand. 

The LAs are using this funding for a variety of different purposes depending on their needs including upgrading IT systems, hiring graduate planning staff, and to improve processing times for 254 licences. 

This sounds like a shakedown by the councils....

Will be interesting to see whether NBI come back to report on how fast the councils are now processing their applications... I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

Nice milestone to reach:

https://irishtechnews.ie/national-broadband-ireland-available-26-counties/

National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the company rolling out the new high-speed fibre broadband network under the Government’s National Broadband Plan (NBP), has announced there are now connections to its high-speed fibre network in each of the 26 counties, with the first premises in County Longford having now connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Semi rural Leitrim not far from Mohill and short distance to Longford town (barely over border) - Anticipated date for connection: January 2025 - December 2026

Place has been crawling with Survey vans and lads in high viz for past few working days and prior to Xmas also so here's hoping something is happening.

Any anecdotal timeframes from these guys appearing and being available for install / signup ??

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I think it's pretty random the time frames. I also wouldn't hold my breath for Leitrim being in anyway prioritised. Look at the Carrick on Shannon exchange. It's a regional exchange and looks to be the last one connected, and other non regional exchanges being connected ahead of it.

Update on NBI dashboard. Premises 'passed' moving along at close to 10k/mth recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Blackhole in the middle of Tipp here. Have been Jan25-Dec26 since forever.

Our survey was completed last August and our status is now "Survey complete" ... Jan25-Dec26 ... So, I wouldn't be holding your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Every DA that was put down as 2025-2026 hasnt changed since, from what I can see.

Bit depressing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cyberwolfkorn

Have to say the wifi on these Eir fibre boxes is really poor. Wired I'm getting over 900Mbps, but wireless it drops off to anywhere between 300 to 600Mbps. And that's even if my laptop is right beside the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Lots of possible reasons for that, is your laptop wifi card capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

How is this impacting you? Those speeds seem fantastic regarding day to day work and general life stuff. I can't see how those speeds can be an issue.

• Advertisement

Just got an email from sky to say that they've posted my equipment and it's on the way. I assumed that the installers would have brought the router with them.

I am due to be installed in 2 days. What happens if the install crew arrive before the equipment?

Advertisement