Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi eveyone, I might have the possibility about moving to The Chandler Building in Ashtown, but haven't been able to find any up-to-date information on it.

Any advice or personal experience ?

I have noticed that the apartment building is very close to the ashtown train station, it would be very noisy ?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Has anybody considered installing Solar Panels? Would they be practical with the heating system in the houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi I looked into it. Solar for hot water heating is in general something people aren't doing anymore. There are lots of complications with it and maintainance issues. Solar for power generation on the other hand is very feasible as long as the roof is not north facing. On the herrons you have enough space to install a massive array, up to 8Kw when I did the measurements, which would basically take you off the grid nearly totally.

The power to hot water converters apparently are not cost effective for most people, let alone homes with a heat pump. You'd be better sinking any excess power into a battery and using that to power the heat pump as opposed to trying to heat water directly.

What makes you feel the houses might be unsuitable? Ultimately we didn't get it done as our roof is north facing but almost any other aspect is worth while. If you've a South facing garden that isn't over looked it's extremely worth while.

Anyone else having a problem with their heat pump compressor going ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So I was posting in here a long while back about my brothers house and the issues getting the network patching connected. Basically we could not find the cables in the utility room where some of you told me they should be. Anyway, it turns out they had put a back box in (badly) with a blank plate but never actually pulled the cables through - the brother got brave one day, pulled out the back box and the chunk of plaster that was protruding in front of it, stuck his arm in and went rooting....found them.

So I'm over from the UK today with nothing to do so I pop in to put some ends on and get the LAN working. Phase 1, ends on with little fuss. Phase 2, test the run from the router at front door into the utility - note, this the only run that I have "terminated" both ends of link. Anyway, this link works fine.

Then the fun. I test the living room port to utility - only one led on tester. I test the back room port to utility - only one led on tester. "Is my cabling that bad???" Off to check how the faceplates are patched...I should have taken pics...every single eth face plate in the house only had the blue pair connected. Not only that but the faceplate only have room for 6 cables so you can't actually patch the 4 pairs of the cable, so gig eth is not actually possible, wtf?! Not much change from half a mil for a house with this codology!

Now I'm no cabler, I deal more with firewalls, switches and all that good stuff so the above looks completely foreign to me.

Anybody else had similar?

Anyway, 7 proper faceplates purchased and hopefully will arrive in time for my return visit next week.

The face plates that come with the house are for telephone no? I'd say there is an issue with your wiring, especially if you're trying to get this working with the supplied faceplates.

There's no issue getting gigabit ethernet working with the cables supplies normally.

The cables are fine, it's the faceplates that won't work for 1gig as the 4 pair can't be connected. Anyway, not a major issue, just surprised and would expect better

Not sure why you'd expect different. In the book that came with the house they are clearly identified as telephone connection. Lucky they used cat5e cable tbh, they could have just run single twisted pair and been within spec for what they sold your brother. Ethernet won't work at all with those plates regardless of speed. In earlier phases there was an option to pay for cat6 with proper Ethernet faceplates.

Thanks for the info. I've not seen the book and not aware the spec was just for single pair - which I'm very surprised about in this day and age (or even 2-3 years ago), how many houses will ever connect a phone???? Anyway, storm in a teacup and we'll have it all sorted next week.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a bit out dated at the time. Struck me as meeting some regulation, maybe even a UK one as most of the specing seemed lifted from there. Same with the lamp plugs in the sitting room. We viewed a fair few new build houses at the time all them seemed to have phone lines to every room. The mother in law's is just a single unshielded twisted pair, half them don't work after 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dovetail

Hello there. Has anybody had any issue with water on the rare occasion coming in through the vent in the Airing / Hotpress room? I'm in a Heron Phase 2.

Are you sure the vent cover is still on the roof? It shouldn't really be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭griffdlk

Looks a nice job. We've been thinking what the best solution would be and looks like you've got the results we want. The noise at night kills me. Who did the job?

Unfortunately not allowed post recommendations. If you search for secondary glazing Dublin you'll get about two hits and they're the ones with a show room not far from the development.

Btw, we had to get the BER redone recently due to a solar installation and the house went from a A2 to an A3 and probably would have been a B1 or even a B2 without the Solar. BER certs only last 10 years. The issue is that the original paper work submitted by Ballymore isn't available for the new assessment and the assessors much take really terrible default values for the heat pump efficiency in the absence of the original paper work. This effectively means that in a couple years time all the house in the estate are facing the BER dropping. This can have serious consequences for those on Green mortgages. I've contacted Ballymore to see if I can get copies of the original paper work but got no response. I'm thinking of trying to organize something through the management company. It seems totally ridiculous.

Note the standards haven't changed, it's just a paper work issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭griffdlk

Thanks Manion. Wow, that is pretty bad re. the BER rating. I'm shocked by the non-response 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Has anyone with a Heron had issues with water in the attic? I've got water which seems to be coming in on the exterior wall at the floor level, but had some roofers check today and couldn't find any issues.

I'm pretty sure I saw someone else do some extensive work removing and then replacing the tiles on their roof so I'd be keen to understand what issues others have faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Had BER done in May due to a solar install also and my BER went from A3 to A1.

Maybe that documentation issue was sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CeRoCeRo

Hi All, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a silent extractor fan for the kitchen in the Ballymore houses, possibly just the motor so there would be no need to change the hood? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dovetail

Hi All,

Just checking if anybody has had to replace the water pump underneath the stairs. Is there a specific brand / model that could be recommended (that is quiet!), and if they have any plumber recommendations, pls feel free to send a direct message, thank you :-)

Also, has any one re-painted their windows yet? The paint started to flake off mine after 3 years and should address it. If anybody any any painter contact details, pls feel free to sen by direct message, thank you :-)

Advertisement