Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah, didn't Ferguson have Kidd, Phelan and Queiroz doing the training sessions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The issues aren't difficult to diagnose.

We know Klopp's philosophy is taxing. We know one of his strengths is his loyalty, as it helps bring more out of players than most managers could. But it is also a weakness as he routinely shows faith for a little too long.

Sir Alex Ferguson used to always refresh his teams with one or 2 players in order to keep things fresh. We simply haven't done that in the engine room of the team. the midfield has been run into the ground, and the decision makers aren't helping them. the legs aren't there. we are simply being run through. we thought we could replace Gini with Thiago. i love Thiago, and he's tenacious, but he doesn't do what Gini does. he does things Gini couldn't dream of doing, but what Gini did, we've found out, is irreplaceable. he was insanely fit, he was never injured, he was incredibly disciplined positionally, and had an almost unique ability to rarely lose the ball under pressure. We gained elite passing ability and line breaking passing, but lost defensive solidity in transition. we lost the ability to suffocate.

Klopp and his team took a gamble that Thiago's unique qualities would break games that we struggled to break in search of these ungodly points totals. but we've lost too much structural stability. the use of Elliott in there is turning out to be folly. he just isn't that cog, and it's unfair to him. Jones could be that cog, but he's seemingly believed some of his own hype, can't get fit, and is now another guy. Milner is done at this level, other than being a backup RB.

fix the legs in the engine room, and you solve an awful lot. you won't have runners freely running at our defence. you won't have opposing players have time to get their head up and pick out passes in behind. you'll also retain possession higher up the pitch, and get your best creative outlets (Trent and Robbo) back to where they're supposed to be.

but these owners are negligent and/or Klopp is too loyal. so I don't think we're getting anyone in January. and that means the season will be effectively over.

Post edited by SlickRic on

Would a 4-2-3-1 formation work for us? A bit more defensive cover than the 4-3-3 is providing

4 - TAA, Konate (with VVD injury), Matip, Robertson

2 - Henderson and Fabinho

3 - Salah right, Thiago middle and Gakpo on the left

1- Nunez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So we've a forward injury crisis alongside the 2 lads misfiring (hopefully, surely Gakpo will ease that at least), a midfield crisis and now we're going for defensive crisis 2: electric boogaloo.

Only thing that could make this worse is if Alisson gets injured.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

4-2-3-1 with Thiago in the 3 would just play exactly the same as our 4-3-3.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking of putting him in the 2 beside Fabinho.

In the 3 then with the current uninjured players who would you pick?

Salah in the middle and Elliot on the right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The 2 doesn't work anymore two much ground to cover with attacking full backs, When its 4 3 3 , the two LCM & RCM get through a hell of a lot of work closing down on the sides of the pitch that goes unnoticed, Why we are suffering at the minute as ours don't have the legs

Chelsea played a 2 man base a lot but that was with 3 CB's so one of the CB's could take up the left over spaces, which ever side it appears

Watch City on the ball they play 3 2 4 1 , Ake Akanj Stones as the 3 CB & Lewis pushes in beside Rodri ,something Zincenko used to do as the LB before , Actully since he singed for Arsenal they do it Gabreil , Saliba ,Whyte as CB's & Zincenko pushes in beside Partey , helps you outnumber sides & the 3 CB's give coverage in the wide area's

So basically in football now the double pivot won't work in front of 2 CBs if you want attacking full backs, there's two much space to cover,

Just to expand a few times we have gone with a double pivot against City but we actually played more of 4 4 2 again to help wide,

Look at the average position below in the first half against Brentford

Fab & Thiago where a double pivot & there was acres of space down the line each time every time they played a long ball ,

I wonder are we all at full agreement now that Elliot is not good enough to be starting games as our RCM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

60 matches played last year is crazy, especially considering we had to stop for a WC too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Yea for most games. Against Southampton he was very good as was fab. Overall I just don't think he has the speed for a top team. Does not offer enough either offensively or defensively. That dummy before the 2nd goal has really annoyed me as well just get on the ball and play the percentages. However he is so young so to expect him to be a complete footballer isn't fair. Maybe if we had more options klopp could pick and choose what games suit a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Elliott is good enough for our midfield, in the correct role. Like, I think he works if Hendo is right and Thiago or Fab are left, and he can play just in front of them with a little more creative license.

Think he’ll look better if he gets to play in a team with more legs around him too, like we were when he first burst into the team with a far fitter and more mobile Hendo and Fab than we see these days.

He’s got glaring weaknesses, but significant strengths too, especially for his age. Love to see us taking greater advantage of the latter, while minimizing the former.

So basically your saying as an old school number 10,

I don't think there is a single top team in Europe that plays with a traditional number 10 anymore i could be wrong , There no way we can play a double pivot in midfield unless we play 3 at the back or its 4 4 2 or 4 4 1 1

Asking to play 4 2 3 1 is taking an extra body out of an already struggling midfield to accommodate a player who plays like a youth team player, We never ever done that for prime Coutinho

Can i ask what are his significant strengths & when has he ever show them ,

Why are people afraid to say Elliot is not at the standard required its utter madness,

No, not at all as an old number 10. The same role as tonnes of central midfielders have, like KDB or Keita. Doing defensive cover work, without necessarily having to drop all the way back to CB/FB. Not all your central midfielders drop to the last line - some do, which then leaves space for the next layer in front to cover - that's where he should be operating.

Keita is a good example incidentally, as a player who is really terrible at having to drop all the way back because it's totally at odds with his strengths - but we don't whinge about it cause it's not his role. Elliott has a lot of the same strengths, but he's been used in a role where his weaknesses get exposed more than his strengths get used.

Based on that positional map Elliott is about as much of a CM as Ox.

We're basically playing a 442 but with Salah still staying out wide right, which leads to situations like this where he has no space to operate and additional opposition defenders are always within range to double him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

The speculation about Ljinders is possibly based upon the Paul Tompkins article from late November.

KDB plays a RCM , Keita generally plays as the LCM ,

Elliot current role is mostly as the RCM the same role Henderson excels at ,

Keita main strengths are his pressing & winning balls back & reclying them he is Gini light < he reads & blocks passing lanes exceptional well , ,There seems to be a huge miss conception at what Naby is actually good at ,

What are Elliot's strengths your alluding to?

He can't tackle , he can't press, he can't beat a man , he sure as hell can't run

KDB and Keita have totally different responsibilities to Elliott though. KDB is not expected to be back at full back covering for Walker the whole time, and Keita is not expected to be back at full back sitting in for Robertson. Meanwhile, Elliott is expected to cover for a player who roams out of position far more than either of those defenders in Trent. He has to effectively play auxiliary full back, while also being an attacker between the lines. it's too much, and the former part is stuff he just isn't equipped for (in the same way Keita definitely isn't).

Elliott's not brilliant out of possession, but I think he's a decent presser from midfield, as long as he doesn't also have to cover for fullback behind him, as obviously that's two contradictory responsibilities - if you're trying to push up on someone, while over your shoulder Trent is nowhere to be seen, how are you to do either effectively? He always looks better and more assured pressing with Gomez at FB for instance. Hendo in his prime is the perfect guy for that role - but he also tended to stay at the base of a building attack, keeping the pressure on from the rear, rather than moving forward to receive a pass in the final third as Elliott is expected to do (which is one of his strengths).

His strengths are ball retention, picking a pass, and breaking a press. He's excellent in those moments where the opposition press is closing in, where he can either spot a little pass out, or turn and run out and switch play. He's at his best driving into the spaces in the final third, or across between the lines, drawing a man, and playing a ball on the run - has a really good relationship with Salah for this stuff, the pair of them obviously look for each other in these moves. He's just incredibly composed with a ball at his feet, with really good vision for the space around him while under pressure.

He's 19. He's far from the finished article, but he has more to give than he's been allowed to show, partly due to Klopp having such faith in him. He'd actually be better off if Klopp trusted him slightly less - would be better at the role Curtis Jones tends to be given for instance.

Elliot or Keita are not expected to be in Trent or Robbo's position he is expected to get out and close down the fullback when he is beyond MO, Something he never does and constantly leave Trent with an attacker running at him & one running off him

Trent & Mo's attacking number are significantly worse when Elliot is the RCM than when Hendo is,

You must be watching different games because Elliot creates next to nothing , He wouldn't get a game for any of the current top 6 ,

These drives into the final third literally don't happen or maybe did once ,

Can i ask what is Jones asked to do different than Elliot ?

How can anyone watch our games this season & think Elliot is anywhere near the level required is utter madness, He isn't even close at the moment,

In the last 6 games he's been whipped of before the 75 minutes 5 times ,in fact he's only made it past 68 minutes twice in 6 games,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

He's not good enough for our team, let alone in a midfield role that doesn't suit.

He makes Trent look like Maldini with his lack of defensive awareness, and his reliance on his kills many attacks.

I don't dislike him and want him to do to by he's nowhere near it, and if he stayed fit last year we wouldn't have had the season we had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I can see you're trying to have your big "I told you so" moment here but I don't think you will find anyone who claimed Elliot was peak Hendo in that role. We all have eyes and can see he is not however as we can all see Elliot is going nowhere and is going to be used regardless of what we think most of us have chosen to try find the positives with that moving forward rather than harp on about a young inexperienced player being young and experienced for a couple of seasons like you have.

Would I and countless others on here rather have peak Gini or Hendo back to start instead of Elliot? Sure, but we dont have that or anything like it currently so we acknowledge it, like we all have done sooner or later, and move on over sounding like a broken record for 2 or more years...

With the right players beside/behind him in midfield, I’m sure Elliott will develop into a super player. I think it is unfair to him, and not ideal for his development, to be asked to do so much at a young age in a malfunctioning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Spurs win. Results in this round of games couldn't have gone worse for us. 7 points off 4th. As many points away from the team in 1st as we are from the team in last. To top it all, there's not so much as a whisper about any potential midfield reinforcements coming in. Its going to be a long season so we should probably stop complaining about our developing players and pin the blame where it belongs, with management, our injured and our many sicknotes, as well as the few who are so good that they can't be bothered anymore (Virgil!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like FSG have finally cracked and decided to spend some money on the Red Sox.

BREAKING: Star third baseman Rafael Devers and the Boston Red Sox are finalizing an 11-year, $331 million contract, sources familiar with the agreement tell ESPN. The deal is not done. The physical process hasn't started. But in the end, Devers is expected to remain in Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

About £500,000 per week? Salah will be raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭ratracer

Imagine a football club giving a player an 11 year contract, they’d be laughed out of it by everyone!!

City sign another sponsorship deal with a company that's funded by their owners.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

I'm only being half serious here but real Madrid back in the day did give Raul and Iker Casillas life long contracts

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Normal enough in the NFL I believe cause the player pool is so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

NFL contracts not guaranteed, can be sacked at any time. Usually contacts heavily incentifised upfront though

Reminds me of Ballers where they were constantly on about “guaranteed money” rather than contract length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I see Keita wasn't pictured in training again today. Looks like another injury. He only played a half a game. Some much hype around him when he signed for us and was so excited to see him play. Little did we know he would turn out to be one of our worst ever investments. The club must be delighted to get him off the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I see Chelsea are expected to meet the £105 realise clause for Fernandez before the transfer window is done. It seem an enormous amount of money for someone that only mildly impressed me during the world cup. I wouldn't have had him in Argentinas top 5 performers in my opinion.

Can't compare what happens in NFL, Baseball or Basketball over in the states to football clubs. Tiny number of players/teams in comparison to over in Europe, allowable salary caps and monster sponsorship/TV deals payed out annually to help pay these massive contracts.

• Advertisement

He’s been fantastic for Benfica in the champions league this season too. Was highly rated before the move to Portugal, but has kicked on more than anyone expected this year at both club and international level. It’s still a massive price - too much - but he is a quality player in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Also don't forget that contract values quoted usually include all possible future bonuses but you might not actually achieve the criteria to get those bonuses.

I'm not saying he's not a great player. But this has World Cup performance tax all over it...he is a solid 55/60m pound player.

Benficas realise clause is £105 so I'm fairly certain that would have to be met without incentives. Bonus and the likes would be included after that point.

It’s nearly more desperation tax from Chelsea… it’s mid season, and Benfica are in the CL knockouts with a great draw, so they’ve no need to sell for anything less than the buyout clause. Benfica did well to pop a clause that high in though, fair play to them!

• Advertisement

Ya there's a lot to that too. Chelsea are spending some serious wedge these days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭ratracer

New tea lady incoming???

Now I know indy ain’t exactly the most reliable by any means but…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Have to say, it disappoints me that I’m happy about a Man City victory. If we weren’t so far back I’d be gutted right now, but now it’s just 3 points taken off our rivals for a top 4 spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

LOL! Last time I saw a post like this in here the big scoop was "Jurgen Likes Bellingham!" 😂

I'll be honest, I was secretly hoping for a draw...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Realistically, Arsenal and City winning their games is what we want to see - except against us obviously.

Best we can finish would be 3rd, we'd all be happy with 4th though. We are still in the mix for both I think - despite our current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The caicedo offer "hasn't been rejected" apparently. Still in negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yes, as others have said, I was also cheering on City tonight. The feeling I have of being unclean will probably never go away...

But we are we are. City face lots of top 4 rivals coming up, hope they win all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I missed it. Forgot all about it to be completely honest. Its one of those games where there's no bad outcome. Chelsea drop points is a win whereas City dropping points is always nice to see (even if it doesn't impact on us).

Onwards and upwards from here (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Some harsh comments on Elliot. He’s clearly very talented. In a bad spell at the moment but he’s still very young.

I think he’d be better pushed further forward. Whether that will happen for him at Liverpool I don’t know.

I think for him to shine, I’d like to see a midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Henderson with Elliot in front of them and Darwin and Salah either side. So the old Firmino position. I reckon he could do a good job there eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement