Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Been getting several a day too. It could be the usual January bounce but a lot these places look like rentals that may have been held back from sale. Like you, hoping it’s not just confirmation bias.

Have also noticed some places that were up for sale just before Christmas reducing asking prices by about 5%.

I myself have been told I can probably expect to have an offer accepted on a place for nearly 5% under asking price that I placed before Christmas but am now considering withdrawing as it needs a lot of work and feel I could well get something for the same price without the work needed in a few months, admittedly with higher interest rates. Conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I read today about the RTB issuing eviction orders for tenants accused of "overholding". While I do not disagree with this practice when it is justified I think the same should apply to mortgage holders in arrears. If more mortgage defaulters were evicted, house prices and rents would fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Our cultural memory doesnt sit well with evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

To be fair, you are the only one blathering on there with your wall of text which says nothing.

Lets take your own comparison of buying a farm 20 years ago. Would you recommend that to any of the have-a-go landlords on this thread? They can get a mortgage and either work it and pay it back from the profits, or rent it out and pay it back from the income and expect to also have a profit. Sounds realistic - right? They should be able to expect the after tax income would be able to pay it back over 20 years - right? Ironically, yours is the "BS comparison" as it invalidates your position. How many farms has your own son bought Bass? He must have a few there sitting around the country passively paying for themselves at this stage?

Your post does nothing to explain why an average landlord cannot make "a profit". Nothing. Interest rates are your cost of capital and have been on the floor for years.

There are no capital gains due on inheritance. You are going to have to explain that one. If you leave your property to someone, they are not assessed for CGT on your gains. They might be liable for CAT. Even then, it is not the previous owner who is liable. If you realise capital gains in any investment yourself then you pay capital gains on it. Housing is not unique in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The average landlord has 1 or 2 properties at most meaning they need other income. With other income it means they more than likely pay the full rate of income tax, along with property tax, home insurance, life insurance and in most cases a mortgage as well that is paid after tax. Compare that with the REITS and how they are treated. So they are not making much on rental. Then they have the real danger of a rogue tenant where some tenants can stay rent free for 3/4 years and reck it and leave with out any comeback. You don't have to take my or anyone else's word for it on here but the figures for landlords leaving the market speak for themselves. As you say rents are sky high and interest rates were so low yet the vast majority of small landlords are all getting out of dodge.

• Advertisement

You can offset your interest against you income. Along with many other expenses. I don't understand why you think that the capital repayments should be tax free income.

Would you prefer the status quo - pay "net" now and then pay CGT on the difference between the purchase price and sale price. Or else prefer a scenario where you can write off 5% of the capital costs per year over 20-years, but when you sell the asset after that time the full sale price is treated as income? Because those would be the types of alternative that would make sense. You can't expect to write down the cost basis of an asset to zero and then pay CGT on the difference between what you originally paid and what you sold.

Stamp duty should really be increased too. It should be 7.5% for rental property in line with other commercial investments. They can keep the 1% for owner-occupied. That would also cool the market though so probably won't be done

A REIT is a company. Not a person. An individual will be taxed according to their local requirements when they take the money out. I think many posters on here think that if you set up a company in general to avail of corporate tax rates, that you as the owner only pay that tax on what you put in your pocket. The company and the person are different. Any favourable advantage granted to REITs was actually done for the benefit of other property owners. If I were the owner of a residential rental, I definitely wouldn't be calling for REITs to be driven out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I find this post bizarre to say the least. The average landlord has one or two properties. Being a landlord is like any other business. We enter it to make a profit. if you get a rogue tenant like the one highlighted costing the landlord €70k in lost income and at the same time being unable to reduce his losses can financially destroy him.

If a landlord has paid tax on his profit and the value of his asset has fallen below its purchase price due to a fall in property values, changing legislation etc and the landlord is still liable to repay the capital outstanding is this a "fairly crap landlord"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

If there is indeed a market cooling, it’ll be interesting to see how new build prices react as they continue to push higher at a relentless pace.

Archers Wood in Delgany have just added another €35k to 3beds in their new phase. Just a couple of months later!

Now €575k, vs €540k for the phase launched in October 2022 and €485k in September 2021!

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/archers-wood-delgany-wicklow/4469814

Do you understand the concept of "average"?

If 1% of tenants pay no rent, then that will reduce the expected rent received by landlords on average by 1%.

If you are unable to manage your investment, then yes, it would make you a bad landlord. Same as how if you bought a pub and ran it into the ground and weren't able to pay back your loans when plenty of other publicans were then that would make you a bad publican. BTW, if you are paying back capital then you are leveraging up your own capital via loans. That is your own choice to leverage up the risk.

The sense of entitlement from a certain cohort is fairly astounding. It's a real extension of the public sector mentality. The State should not be propping up the market for the benefit of such people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Could someone please explain to you know who the implications for a publican if the Government brought in legislation which allowed customers to sit drinking beer for hours, free of charge, and the publican is neither able to stop serving them, or remove them from the pub.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

What % of the price do you estimate the repairs coming in at? Maybe ask the vendors to meet you somewhere in between? If they don't have any other bidders you probably have a decent chance of getting it accepted.

Reason for this suggestion is that I am seeing in the US that vendors are offering to contribute to upgrade costs in order to close a deal. The market there is really heading south so you can see why a vendor would do that.

That is not an uncommon thing in the US market in general to have something like that where the vendor gives money back towards things.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

And the price of a pint for paying customers could only be increased at a rate of inflation minus eight percent and you have to continue to serve them forever unless you can find some other mug that will take over the responsibility from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

New builds won't cool at all they will continue to rise as the government will continue to expand taxpayer subsidies to them to keep construction going.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

It’s very hard to know, it was rented for a long time and very badly kept. The vendor doesn’t seem to have cared much about the condition of the place, so it’s difficult to know if issues are superficial or worse.

Thanks for the advice though, I’m going to see what the inspection comes up with and if there’s anything serious, demand a reduction. The previous offer was about 10% under asking.

It’s interesting how much it puts people off for a place to not be turnkey, when factoring in high cost for repairs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I expect at least one of my children will buy land, not necessarily one of my sons. It's a genetic fact. My mother bought land,( my father died when I was very very young), his brother bought land. Both my maternal grandfather and great grandfather bought land. My better halfs father and grandfather bought land. We bough our farm together. The genetics ate there to indicate that my children will as well. However generally it something you do in your 35-55 year age profile.

I have explained how it is getting harder for LL to .some a profit. But you choose not to understand. Not all LL are unprofitable but the risk factor now for them has a substantial number 4-5k units/ year leaving the business.

Again I will explain inheritance issue. In most other business owners are allow d to extract 750k in capital tax free it's not available in rental therefore inheritance tax is more of a factor.

But you choose to be blindsided by what appears to be a hatred off LL. One must have taken a boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse off you the way your dislike of LL comes through.

Few rental investment will start to repay the owner before 25-30 years. The assumption of many is that the LL should then rent it at reduce rates when it starts to make a return. I no other investment choice is that a factor.

You start throwing red herrings all over the place drifting from one to the other. All most LL want is a fair regulatory system and the stopping of flipfloping by the government and the stopping of using the rental section as a political football by the opposition.

Like any other investment if you make a good one you should be allow to reap it's reward.

Slava Ukrainii

Could your son get a loan, buy 20 acres somewhere in the country and just rent it out and sit by passively while it pays for itself? The answer is that no, he couldn't. I know that, and you know that. His rental income wouldn't even cover his interest costs, never mind the capital repayments (which he would need to repay out of his after tax income). And that would even be availing of full tax relief for a long term lease. So i don't see why you think residential investors should expect it to be so as some kind of right. You are the one who brought up buying land here, not me.

You are wrong on how you define "repay the owner". I think what you mean is that it will be 25-30 years before the tenants have paid enough to fully cover the cost of the repayments for the person who got the loan. So that the "owner" is now debt free AND has a house paid for.

The inefficient people need to be let be shaken out of the market if there is a drop this time. It shouldn't be propped up for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Property is not a passive investment of you want to make a return. It the failed assumption you are making. I will put 100ish hours per property into there management every year along with costs. Costs are top of that. I can farm a 60 acre farm in about 10-15 hours a week and I am not living on it. It's return is about 10% at present and that is not including capital appreciation. It has the added advantage that everything spend on it was allowable against tax and losses are allowable against income tax.

Remember this property is NOT a passive investment

Slava Ukrainii

Your tone is very condescending and if you want to take this discussion there then bring it on.

Average is irrelevant to an individual. Managing of risk allows the risk taker to reduce exposure to risk when the risk increases this is not the way the private landlord market works because the State changes rules, introduces RTB etc and makes it almost impossible to evict non paying tenants for months and even years in some instances.

It is you who think landlords have a sense of entitlement. The State has failed its obligations to house people not the landlords. I don't care who I rent to once they pay the rent. I have seen the rent I received fall through the floor when the last recession hit with tenants moving from property to property to suit themselves. Did we get any help/handout? No because we were seen as the evil landlord.

• Advertisement

Yes, average is the important factor as regards returns. In addition, idiosyncratic risk should not be rewarded in investments. That you, as an individual, are unable to manage and diversify that risk, does not mean you should be entitled to be compensated for it. That is a basic tenet of investing. You could, for example, get together with 20 of your buddies and pool your properties. That would greatly lower the risk of you suffering a catastrophic disaster due to an extremely bad tenant. That is why a market will not compensate you for such a risk. And it is why you should expect to be compensated for it.

And has nothing to do with the topic of the thread anyway. Only insofar that I would say that there should be no government intervention propping up the market for individual investors who made bad decisions as regards taking on risk they couldn't manage. If things turn sour and loans aren't repaid, they banks should be recovering those properties more quickly this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Can we get a dedicated thread for Donald Trump vs everyone re small landlords?

Seems to just spill across topics all over this forum, now the main thread is taken over by this thing.

I never said it should be free but your trying to paint a picture that landlords are creaming it but they are not the only ones creaming are the REITS and as you alluded to if it was all so easy and all so profitable why are the majority of landlords running for the hills. I don't even have to argue with you the proof is in the pudding. You asked the question I gave you answer.

No, I am sure that some are struggling and I think those would be wise to cash out if so. There might be a deluge over the next year or so once there starts to be a bit of a dip and people then rush to cash out. Plenty hang in because they think "I got 10% on paper last year, I might get 10% again next year". Most people will not be able to time the absolute top of the market. Most who try to, usually lose out. If you are able to manage ok though, then by all means stay in it for the long term.

Donald you just need to research small landlords and look at the amount of property available to rent in the country and how it has fallen sharply over the last couple of years the vast majority are struggling or at the very least see an investment property or 2 as no longer being viable for them. Look I guess its good for people buying but those who cant buy and have to rent its kind of tough sh1t. The other side of this is if REITS that are buying Irish property get caught up and have lots of exposure if property prices do drop they may well have to sell assets to settle redemptions and other expenses we may see a clusterphuck of a scenario coming in the next 12/24 months.. It is happening the UK currently with the likes of Blackrock who are deferring redemptions.

I wasn't aware that the current market was particularly good for buyers. There was an article a few days ago that house prices are at their most unaffordable since the peak just before the last crash.

The evidence to date is that not enough are leaving the market to make a dent in availability for buyers, or at least that there are enough willing buyers to keep the prices high.

There is another aspect to the low number of rentals on the market too. One being that there will be a feedback effect. Insofar that because there is a shortage, people will be less likely to move from where they are now. If I am renting in Rathmines in Dublin and then I want to move to Stoneybatter to be closer to work, well in normal circumstances I move to Stoneybatter. Then my existing landlord puts my Rathmines place up on the market. The fella renting in Tallaght then moves to my place in Rathmines and his place is put up and so on and so on. What I am saying is that a small increase in availability at the end of the chain could increase the turnover on those sites a fair bit. It wouldn't necessarily be linear.

True but an eviction is an eviction regardless of whether the person is a renter or a mortgage holder. In fact, most people evicted and made destitute in the 19th century were tenants yet it is they who get evicted no prob but not the people who are not paying their mortgage and who are therefore responsible for houses being kept off the market. This is why house prices and house rents are so high for everyone else.

If eviction was an instant and automatic consequence of defaulting on a morthage, house prices would plummet and rents would also moderate for those who prefer renting (you would have a choice if house prices crashed).

Some of the renters pleading with the RTB not to be evicted are families which nowhere to go and no prospect of renting anywhere else. Their stories are every bit as harrowing as those proffered by people who don`t pay their mortgage even though we know people sometimes choose not to pay their mortgage for reasons founded in greed, for example they might not like being in negative equity.

New builds are of little to no consequence. What determines house prices is the eviction rate of mortgage defaulters in the houses that already exist (i.e. the 99% of the market). As long as defaulters are protected, house prices will stay elevated for everyone else. The government doesn`t care because high house prices will make a profit for their precious NAMA and then they can go on pretending that bailing out the banks was not an act of monumental stupidity (notwithstanding the fact the bailout included Anglo which was so toxic it was kept separate from NANA). Besides, house owners like when their house has a high price even though it is still the same four walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My only point on small landlords is that they pay tax. Given housing assist is about a billion and there's probably another 2 billion in rent paid in Ireland, let's round total rent payments to 3 billion. Assume interest relief etc. and say average mam an pop landlord pays 33% rent. That would be one billion to the exchequer for schools roads etc

Canadian pension REIT pays absolutely no tax in Ireland.

Driving out the small landlords is driving out tax payers from the rental sector. Nevermind that a lot have lower rental rates etc.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

Advertisement