Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much notice are workers entitled for their work hours/roster?

Options
  • 05-01-2023 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi, roster where i work is currently out the late in the afternoon the day before the following work week.

from having a google, it seems like it should be a minimum of 24 hours? anyone tell me is this right? and is this only 24 hours for that following day

or should the whole weeks roster be out 24 hours before the start of that work week

thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems 24 hours is the standard. That's a bit low. I thought it would be longer myself:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

Information about your working hours

Usually, you can find your working hours and work patterns in your contract of employment. You may also find your hours in an Employment Regulation Order or Registered Employment Agreement.

If your hours of work change from week-to-week, your employer must:

• Tell you the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before your first day of work.
    • Give you at least 24 hours’ notice of your working hours for each day you have to work (particularly if you do not work every day). For example, they should put up a notice in an obvious place on a day that you are working.
    • Give you 24 hours’ notice if you have to work additional hours. However, they can ask you to work at less than 24 hours’ notice in unexpected cases, for example when they need you to cover for another employee who is off sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

yeah was hoping it might be longer when i started looking into it, but potentially 2 days ahead (as i'd imagine they'd realistically have to put it up on the saturday evening for their own benefit rather than 8am on sunday) is much better than the late afternoon/evening before

^^ i mean if i/we bring it up to them & they concede that they will honor the 24 hours thing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What do you really want to achieve? Lets say they agree and start publishing it 24 hours earlier and the consequences is that it becomes set in stone so that no late changes are allowed and you loose the flexibility of being able to swap with a colleague at a late stage would that be better for you?

Thought it was fairly obvious, I want to "achieve" the bare minium 24 hours notice we are entitled to, cheer. Regardless of any made up scenarios in your head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh it's not in my head, it's my experience that when people get all official it often ends up being what they did not want or it has other consequences that they did not expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WertdeerSC

You're a bigger person than me, replying in a courteous way to such rudeness.

For your information it's already all official for the ways that benefit them already but often not so when it suits them otherwise, so little could change.

Maybe I should mention that the work week starts just before the weekend not on Monday. So we're talking about staff getting a few hours notice of their weekend hours which is quite a big deal. If it was a Monday maybe it wouldnt be as much of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

That's a bit rough, most places would have it up early in the week at the very least, it's just a bit of respect for people really.

Advertisement