Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Absolutely.

Also the mother at the time was content with going nowhere on holidays or otherwise, & having the dinner on the table when she was told to.

Very few would be content with the life of a farm wife like that nowadays

When looking at taking over a farm that requires enormous investment to modernise, it would be prudent to stay a bachelor as otherwise the stress will be felt both on the farm & in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If they are not interested, you can't make them take an interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As @davidk1394 said, there's nothing wrong with a bit of rooting. No better man than myself for pulling and dragging.

But any rooting I'm doing is only short-term and while it might take me a while to get it sorted, I consider myself doing something wrong if I'm still rooting at the same thing in 12 month's time.

e.g. Last winter I was scraping out cubicles with a hand scraper, this year I have a scraper for the back of the tractor. Last winter, I had a round feeder in the middle of the yard and had to lock cattle into the shed before lifting the feeder and putting in a bale, but this winter I have feed barrier in place.

All small things (that take me ages to sort out!) but it makes the work manageable. And safer.

Some fellas change too as they get older. I've a neighbour who had a health scare a few years back. Pure rooter before that but he's made changes around the yard since then. Nothing fancy, but he's much better set up now and easier at it now. Still spends the same amount of time in the yard but much of it seems to be spent talking on the phone these days!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

Plenty land in the north east going for mad money. I know its maybe different as it is some of the best land in the country. Can't comment on what I happening elsewhere.

Land is certainly being concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer farmers (more like businessmen as mentioned before) through purchases and long term leases. Always has been that way and always will be, the small men are either selling up or benefitting from tax free income and full time work. Also know of a few scenarios on 200 acre farms where all the tillage work is done by contractors and bit of beef or suckling done on tbe rest of the land, bit rented out every year all whild having farmed it all themselves before. Probably results in more spare time and faster bank balance!

I know of multiple young lads (25-35) who are in line to take over large farms in next 10-15 years all have expanded and invested in land, machinery, technology and all are building or have recently built big houses on the land. Plenty opportunities for them and plenty money being made too.

Not sure its necessarily a good thing having less farmers across more acres an further concentration. Isn't that why the land league was set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I see a lot of land being bought by farmers sons who work away from the farm or didn't get the home farm. They seem to prefer to invest in farm land than other property. The tax system is favouring it at the moment. It's a bad system where the young farmer is doing the hard work to pay for another man's land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I was bought up a rooter also . My dad had the farm maxed out stocking wise , cattle stuffed in everywhere, equipment struggling, machinery dying. Did us no harm when I look back . Gave us a good grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've two friends, both widows, one has 600 acres and the other has 400 acre s, all rented out, family doing other things.

Quite a few of my friends would have land rented out now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

With farms that size there would have been paid labour doing most of the work over the years and not child labour. It's mostly lads that worked on farms from a young age that have the most interest in farming

The tams top up for women is starting to make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

I got the farm very young here....stayed at it till i was 24...rented it out for years. Bought property in Dublin..did well. On renting the farm was good for a few years then different tenants ...bad experience. Rented property in Dublin..all bad experience. I retured to farm a few years back. I have a good job after it all but nothing rented again. Renting stuff is not simple either.

• Advertisement

Lack of time is a fertile ground for rooting behaviour.

Your quick fix that remains in place doing a substandard job for years that just gets by.

Or, "there's nothing more permanent than a temporary job"

Yes, wire, twine, glue, cracking joiners and tape will forever need topping up adding to the existing load.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Lack of time is a fertile ground for rooting behaviour.

I often wonder is poor time management the reason for an apparent lack of time in many case's?

Some of the worst culprits I know for citing a "lack of time" are all late riser's, & most rooter's I know are also late riser's in the morning

100% poor time management leads to further poor time management etc.

An incident of rooting will repay you with a further workload down the road. Multiple incidents multiply the time lost.

Id say few people are exceptional at managing their time. Realistic planning and triage style approach solving the biggest problems first would help. A lot to be said for a whiteboard to brainstorm of a selected evening leading to an achievable non ambitious plan for the week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Personally I prefer to take a wee bit of time, fix a thing once & fix it right. Most of my repairs are summer evenings and Saturday afternoon, but I do have the kids with me at time and I do actually enjoy showing them how to fix things. At the stage they know the layout of the local hardware better than some of the staff and they are only 4 & 8.....

A lot to be said for teaching know how at an early age. You’d nearly be embarrassed to ask how to do something when you get older.

The likes of YouTube / Google etc can fill learning gaps to an extent but the hands on training at an early age can last a lifetime and can build confidence. An encouraging parent can do a lot to build confidence.

The green cert books are good and shouldn’t be consigned to the boot of the car.

I think we need a rooter support chat. How to pull yourself out of the mire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm in the middle of rooting here,

We've done a lovely job on our yard here, landscaping, concreting, flowers and shrubs.

Now we have a leak under the concrete losing 300ltres/hour, Have a digger hired at the moment digging in non concrete areas, looking for pipes in an effort to isolate a few areas , will have to get a breaker and con saw tomorrow to dig up concrete

Anyone know a good leak detection firm , diviner, etc in the midlands

I've moved this to it's own discussion

Found myself doing this earlier and thought of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ha, twine and all there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Winner of the January 2023 roooter goes to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Had a burst pipe where it came up out of the concrete after the recent frost. Too close to the ground to get anything on it. Stuck a bolt into it and it done the job. Should be grand for a few months....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Was in the knackery on Wed with a dead weanling and a red twine tied to its leg to pull out of small trailer. Got it out easily enough but in pulling it clear of trailer door twine broke (at max pressure) and I went flying 3/4 yards landing on my back on filthy, greasy, wet floor. Didn't know for a few seconds whether I had banged head off floor. No. 15+ cows piled in corner. They would have cushioned fall - if I had been lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hold my beer.................

Seriously though how many of you do not or have not had a fence like that? I've worked on some of the biggest/nicest dairies in the country and they all have a fence like that somewhere.

Advertisement