Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2023

• 03-01-2023 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

So, one of the few good things about January kicks off this Thursday, January 5th, BBC 1, 9pm

I think the format may be getting tired for some people, but I'm a fairly latecomer to the show having not paid any attention for the first 10 or 11 seasons, with this being season 17.

This years 18 candidate have been revealed and incudes two Irish candidates, Emma Browne from Kildare and Kevin D'Arcy from Dublin. As always, there'll be the usual brash, British, obnoxious, bigmouths, making fools of themselves (and possibly 1 or 2 brash, Irish, obnoxious, bigmouths, making fools of themselves), and we all know the final 2 or 3 are decided before they even start filming and the other 15 o 16 are just there to make a show of themselves for ratings - but shur it might be a bit of craic.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/reality-tv/apprentice-2023-cast-line-up/

From these 18 contestants, you can almost tell instinctively just from their photo's who the biggest eeejits are going to be. 😀

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kind of lost interest in it over the last few years but will give it a go seeing as 2 Irish people are in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I tend to dip in these days, I like the show but it’s fairly stale by now. I’d like there to be no firing in week one as it seems to nearly always be the fool who said they’d be the boss for that task. If there was no firing people would straight away put their hands up as an early chance to stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

the candidates are deffo weaker as the years go by. Also the business plans pretty cr8p; like last year the girl trying to market the matching PJ's and was in the final....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I just wish they had an emphasis on quality contestants, I don't know why they think viewers wants to watch a bunch of wannabe influencers. Yes there was always the odd clown thrown in, but the earlier series has great contestants who used to boss the tasks. You'd never have a Kristina Grimes or Stella English nowadays, I can't remember the last time we had a genuinely brilliant contestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd have thought the quality of candidates would have gotten stronger when Sugar changed it from a job offer to investing in their business but it doesn't seem to have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There a fair amount of botox/fillers for the ladies - not a wrinkle in sight on some of their foreheads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Does this show have a single shot that lasts more than a second? Modern Reality TV I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s amazing how they manage to pick even more annoying and stupid people than the previous year. As usual they’re blaming each other for losing the task as soon as it starts. It’s ridiculous how much they’ve dumbed it down now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's a strange show for me these days. As said above it has gone a bit stale but remains somewhat compelling. You watch the episode purely for the board room (because you need to see the task to understand the arguments that ensue there) and you watch all episodes leading up to the interview episode just so you know who you want to see ripped to shreds. Then the final is often meaningless and I could happily not watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

• Advertisement

Emma didn’t last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its a really minor investment though isn't it? £250K investment for a 50% stake. I'd have thought there'd be far easier ways to get it (venture capitalists, even a bank loan) if you had a decent business plan, rather than spending 5/6 weeks being part of a clown show. But even then it's fairly limited, it's literally just the sort of money to expand a pyjama business, plumbing suppliers or opening a new branch of your artisan bakery. You aren't going to be going on The Apprentice if you're close to discovering warp speed technology or looking to get into aircraft leasing.

Maybe it's time to up it to a £5M investment (hell, it's been at £250K for 12 years now) and get some serious candidates. Though they are probably happy with the comic contenders we have now for entertainment purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What’s the Naked reference all about in the credits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's the name of the production company that does the show.

If you stay with the credits to the end, it's says something like A Fremantle Naked production licensed by MGM to the BBC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sad to see Emma go really, think she became an easy scapegoat, but it's always tough on the first task. I respect she didn't do the usual "Lord sugar will be sorry, this isn't the last you've seen of me!" spiel in the taxi though.

Emma would have been better off keeping her mouth shut and not gone overboard with the “i really think we’ve made a terrible decision here” stuff and starting the blame game as soon as the task as started. It was pretty sneaky how the two other hags ganged up on her at the same time. The whole thing is so bitchy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

When is this repeated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning at 00:40. Great it's back.

Is it next week they will spend about an hour deciding what name to call each team? I thought they did this on the first episode but maybe it's when the men/women are split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don't think those two will last long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Here we are again with the bewildering logic from last year returning when it comes to the reason to fire someone. Of all three in the boardroom, Emma was the least responsible for the failure.

She must have had a business plan he didn't like because the sub team leader who was only able to sell 12 of 16 tickets was clearly to blame and should have been dumped.

The other two were like snakes in the boardroom and knew if they ganged up, they'd save themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

My sky box recorded it! Must still be series linked some way.

Not seen the full episode yet but are the lads going to win for once. I would love to see them randomly pick one fella and one girl randomly and have them lead the opposite sex team on the first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched this and that Irish cailini was way too aggressive and unfriendly. She deserved to go. The 2 standouts on the lads side were the geeky cannon ball guy and James Bond the team lead. Nobody really stood out on the girls side apart from maybe the scouse team lead who wouldn’t stop talking.

Plus when Emma was booted out she was saying way too many ‘thank you’s’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Emma came across as a complete tool on the after show also. Way too over confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A classic Apprentice case of her big gob talking herself into getting fired. She shouldn't have been in any danger after that task but she couldn't stay quiet. The other two were quick enough to spot that she had talked herself into trouble and both pointed the finger at her.

I agree with the comments of her being too mouthy and over-complaining but I wish Lord Sugar would be a bit more honest about the rationale for firing her.

Was she the biggest pain in the ass on that team? Maybe.

Was she responsible for them losing? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He always reverse engineers the reason to fire, based on who he wants to stay in.

If he wanted Emma to stay in, he would praise her ability to see the flaw in choosing the beach and her tenaciousness in standing up for herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Absolutely, he flips his standards depending on who he wants to fire. If Emma had kept her gob shut he'd have criticised her for hiding in the long grass.

She was so cocky when she said she thought both the others should have been finerd.

Thought the Cannon expert was good, also thought Simba was good. Nice to see the boys win Task 1 for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

She fcuked around and was found out. Claude cut her down fairly sharpish when she started the bullshit in the boardroom. He still looks shaky too. Entertaining 1st ep. WTH is going on with all the rubber lips? :p

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true.

On an unrelated note, great to have Claude back.

Advertisement