Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's Panti Bliss happily sharing a poorly drawn portrait on FB. Not a claim of hate content or attacks on the LGBT people in sight. You're fighting bogeymen in your head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, it's likely that musk did not see the offending portrait; either twitter's alogrithms need a little work, or it was an overzealous moderator (should any of those be left still working for the company)

Ordinarily I'd agree but Musk spends an inordinate amount of time on Twitter and I find it hard to believe he didn't come across a tweet about him with over 200k likes and nearly 20k retweets. His sycophants send him everything.

Proceeds to ban the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Here's Panti Bliss happily sharing a poorly drawn portrait on FB

I think they're rather good, and accurate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The twitter app just crashes on load consistently for me today. Google Pixel 6 Pro, both the OS and app updated to the latest version. Has never happened before.

It begins?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remembering that story from a few weeks ago about Twitter supposedly contemplating making the sharing of personal data the default? I wonder if there was any truth in that, and thus if those behind it have seen Facebook's wrist slap by the EU about this very issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when a fine like that is levied, who gets the money?

could be lucrative having those companies here from a data protection perspective...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's an EU wide fine so I'd assume it goes to the EU or possibly pro-rata distributed to the various EU countries where the company operates.

Ireland definitely don't get to keep it themselves (just like the Apple tax money)

I’m not seeing anywhere that those fines would be redistributed around the EU. Is there even a mechanism for that? The European Commission didn’t issue the fine, the Irish DPC did under EU regulations, but through domestic law.

One of the biggest issues is the overheads of regulating that kind of scale of social media are enormous. A lot of those fines would need to get ploughed back into running the DPC itself as some kind of fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

"Everything is at the whim of the owner of the site".

Isn't how Twitter always operated? Only the ownership has changed. People were perfectly fine with corporations and billionaires controlling the public square before. Why not now?

I mean the rules seem much the same, but even clearer: attack Musk and he'll have you warned/suspended. Simple.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

No, because there was generally policies in place before and you knew where you stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think that depends on your perspective. From what I see the policy about not provoking Musk is very clear. If people haven't figured it out by now, then that's on them surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I think it's pretty obvious things are not clear.

He says X and does Y. One example is he said he wouldn't suspend that account tweeting about his private jet and then did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Not provoking Musk" is the language you'd use about an obstreperous and temperamental toddler, not the CEO of one of the largest social media platforms on the globe. And it's somewhat nonsensical to have made loud noises about wanting Twitter to be a bastion of Free Speech - then turn around and "oh but don't take the píss out of me". Parking the question of private enterprise making its own rules, it's patently absurd & pathetic a man in his 50s, richer than anyone could ever achieve, is that insecure he seemingly intervenes to stop people saying mean things about him. Or posting bad portraits. It's akin to Xi Jinping & Winnie the Pooh; funny how powerful men can have the most brittle egos.

As to ownership: concerns have been that Musk's MO so far has been to simply shutter important moderation outlets, while unbanning noted toxic figures. While those arbitrary firings across the company have caused everything from court cases to technical issues. Pre-Musk, Twitter had never quite shaken the reputation as being an outlet that promotes or tolerates bullying, harassment and various degrees of prejudice. Nor is that isolated to Twitter: Big Tech has repeatedly had a problem, where it wants to be integrated into our lives - but shirks responsibility to deal with the inevitable toxicity that comes from allowing direct access to each other. So closing departments that were Lip Service towards that gatekeeping is a ... well it's a bold choice.

Which, again, is all well and good if you want to be a Free Speech Absolutist and just let rip - but it immediately falls flat on its face when the owner decides he's the exception here. Either make Twitter a Black Box, or don't. If you don't, then define the parameters of bad behaviour. Of course, the rubber has met the road and advertisers bristled at Twitter descending into 8chan adjacent chaos; and so we have this ongoing infinite loop where a company that had a fairly defined set of parameters already, now seems to be flying by the seat of its pants - and that ain't sustainable for a company in deep, deep debt thanks to the takeover. Getting it back to a dollars & cents issue.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Give us a list of these rules so, the definitive list of what will provoke him?

He's a petulant man child who lies about his vision for twitter and commitment to free speech. No telling what will provoke him.

To compare this to a situation where there was a published set of rules and a process is absolutely absurd and completely without basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Previous owners weren't tweeting about "free speech", Musk says one thing and then totally flips and does the opposite, he's a thin skinned manchild who is upset because he isn't as universally loved as he thought he was.

So the rules are clear, you just don't like them? Twitter is owned by Musk - he can make and change rules at a whim and there isn't anything that can be done about it. Seems clear to me. I see again and again people running into closed doors and wondering why the door hit them in the face. People were perfectly happy with private ownership of the public square before. Nothing has changed.

That said, a public square where you can freely discuss issues so long as you do not insult or harass the owner of the square seems a less worse option than what was previously on offer from Twitter. Relax though, because that wont happen either. Musk is all bark, but no bite.

oh, he's got bite alright. he's biting himself and the shareholders of the companies he heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

a public square where you can freely discuss issues so long as you do not insult or harass the owner of the square seems a less worse option than what was previously on offer from Twitter.

Not really, it's a town square according to the unstable whims of a petulant owner. Not too far removed from e.g. Trump being in charge of Twitter. Selective free speech fundamentalism wrapped up in petty revenge with a cult of self printed over every decision.

All social media/public squares are subject to the unstable whims of their petulant owners.

An owner who permits free discussion so long as they themselves are not attacked is far better than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But you just said earlier he doesn't permit free discussion if you fall foul of one of his whims. So you have invalidated your own argument.

You really can't keep your story straight - because it is based on a falsehood.

Still waiting on this list. Apparently they are clear so should be easy for you to provide:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you can show me where on the Terms of Service it says "don't insult Elon Musk", I'll defer to the rules being "clear"; but it sends bad messaging to the userbase, and commercial interests thereof, when the CEO can't offer consistent brand communication about what behaviour is acceptable. Nor am I sure why you say "nothing has changed" when clearly, things have changed, not least in aforementioned issues of harassment. There have been changes in perssonel, changes in policy and moderation.

I doubt people would care about Musk's fragile sense of self if the company's approach to harassment had at least stayed put - or indeed, improved upon what had been routinely criticised in the past. Instead. everyone else has to deal with potential harassment under the banner of "free speech", with potentially reduced courses of action available - but Musk gets shielded 'cos he's the boss? You don't have to agree with the man's politics to see that's some laughable double standards at work. And yeah, you say His House, His Rules - sure, lol okay: but with the debt Twitter has accumulated, Musk may wish to think carefully on that turning Twitter into 8chan. At some stage he'll want to make some money once he puts down his smartphone.

Either way. It's irrelevant if I like the rules or not: I don't have a Twitter account so this doesn't effect me either way; no running into doors apply here. Simply offering context about why there's broad frustration about this mercurial, helicopter management approach.

You don't see Mark Zuckerberg intervening when someone posts a mocking meme on Facebook. Though to be fair, Zuckerberg hasn't quite mastered the concept of human emotions yet.

I said it would be better, but that it wasn't going to happen. That Musk was all bark and no bite.

It says it everytime users decide they will try to provoke Musk and get shocked that they are held accountable. As far as I've seen, anytime a tweet has been warned it has been tied back to a breach of one of the Twitter policies that protect all users.

Lets face it - the very forum we are posting on has a nicely vague "Dont be a dick rule" that can be arbitrarily applied. Musk is simply doing the same thing on a larger scale.

He owns Twitter. He can do what he likes with it. Nothing has changed. I think its would be better if there was a written lese-majeste policy, but I guess the smarter ones will figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can you show me where the ToS says users who provoke Musk will be banned?

I don’t know why you repeatedly say nothing has changed, either. Don’t recall Dorsey banning accounts and changing his mind on how Twitter should work on a daily basis.

He can do what he likes with Twitter, that’s true. But if the goal is to turn it into a profitable business, changing the rules based on how he’s personally offended on any given day is a pretty poor way to go about it, seeing as advertisers, Twitters primary source of revenue, really like things like predictability and stability on a platform. Musk has demonstrably made both of these things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Just because you keep saying nothing has changed doesn't make it true.

Twitter has changed since Musk has taken over.

He owns Twitter. He can do what he likes with it. Nothing has changed. I think its would be better if there was a written lese-majeste policy, but I guess the smarter ones will figure it out.

CEOs don't generally "do what they like" 'cos they know better. Musk can indeed do what he likes, but if the purpose is to make money from Twitter - and you can be damn sure at the price he paid he'll want to - then there's a point the shítposting might have to stop. Or just stop getting uptight about it so he's not always in the news for being a petty 51 year old. Sauce for the goose.

And I don't know why you keep saying "nothing has changed", when there are demonstrable instances already mentioned. Be it at macro level like personnel changes, department cutbacks or ban rollbacks - or the micro such as the recent nonsense of "doxxing" & the spat between Musk and the fellow who shared public flight info. Not to mention the more intangible change of reputation.

Things have changed. This thread isn't on page 194 because it's all wailing & hysteria, despite some claims to the contrary.

• Advertisement

Dorsey proves my point. He himself says he gave up any hope of maintaining impartiality or free speech on Twitter when activist shareholders took over and demanded censorship. The same owners drove him out of Twitter. They owned Twitter, they could do what they liked. Now Musk owns Twitter. Nothing has changed.

And as for a profitable business - don't make me laugh. Twitter is not about profits - its been what, one year where they claimed a profit? What it represents is an effective monopoly on public debate. If Musk has any imagination he would be willing to run it at a loss to exploit that power, same as all the previous owners have done.

Advertisement