Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah don't. I've only 50gb of data on my contract. I'd go over my allowance to view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Be grand, it won't show up until you disable the parental controls 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

So ……played a round over the break and unintentionally left my putter at home ( was doing some practice and forgot to put it back in the bag) Anyway completely threw me off as I was running around the clubhouse before teeing off to try find a putter but no luck. I got to try every club in the bag for putting as whatever I hit in , I used as my putter!! I normally use a 5 or an 8iron around the greens a lot as a low runner so thought these would be good but turned out not great on damp greens. The best club on the day was my 4wood rescue just rolled exactly like the putter no major difference, actually made 1 or 2 longish putts with it

All in All I am definetly sticking with my putter for Corballis, I can’t see how it can be left out when your only guarantee every hole is you will have 2 putts at least normally per hole making up 30% ish of your shots……

Some holes may be 1 putt if I could get it this close all the time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

knowing the course is key to deciding what clubs to choose.

it's been a while (probably few years now) since i played it but I reckon that I will struggle off the first tee with the selection i've made in my head.

i think i need to analyse every hole with a selection of clubs before making final choice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's basically a 3 club challenge, as there's no way i'm leaving the putter at home.

It's the one club i can guarantee i will be mediocre with, the rest can go either way 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont even think it make much of a difference especially around Corballis. Now if we did 3 clubs that would be a challenge! 🤣

4 clubs is the upper limit. Feel free to reduce the number of clubs below this amount 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Im hardly going to disadvantage myself to the field! 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Putter off the tee it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i am simultaneously looking forward to this and dreading this. As a lot of said here, the high handicapper (this guy) will probably benefit from fewer clubs to choose from on a course like Corballis. But the thoughts of not having a full bag to choose from just feels strange. i've never played a restricted club round and i've no idea what clubs to bring, barring the putter. Although, my driver and 3 wood are so inconsistent so they probably won't be missed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

@RoadRunner Captain. Which tees shall we be playing from in Corballis. Doing my due diligence on club selection.

Is it back tees this year....

Definitely not the back tees. Most likely the white tees. Bear in mind that in winter the white tees are often forwards from what the scorecard actually says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Societies and Opens are always played off the front Tees. Not a huge difference really with exception of the 3rd hole but with no driver its a 3 shot hole anyways. 7th hole is the biggest difference. The tee shot from the members tee is very tough vs the visitors which is very straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

Happy new year all. What a great idea to kick off the new golfing year and already a squeaky bum competition on a brand new course to me. I'll have to a lot of studying of corballis as I have never played but it's what to add in the bag along with the putter. Looking forward to this year and best of luck to captain roadrunner.

would be pretty ballsy for someone to show up with two putters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've got 3 of them at the moment...what should I add as my 4th club? 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A jigger

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I played a round of golf with an older gentleman years ago and he used a jigger off the tee on all par 3&4’s. Quite effectively as well.

Can you putt with a jigger? 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Actually my 2 ball putter has weights that can he added to the head (and its 2 inches longer than the other putters 😐), so that could be my driver-putter, then the odyssey 7 for the long putts, and the blade for short range putts

Post edited by spacecoyote on

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Gotta get practicing for this event now. Sundays golf will be played with 3wd, 8i and 52° ,with the putter obvs. Reckon that'll be the way I'll go, then only use the 3wd twice. Pulled left first dropped in the bag never to be used again...

Until I forget around 15/16 and slice it out of sight. Should be fun explaining to the Sunday crew what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think this sounds about right for me -- maybe a 7.

I was never a great SW off the fairway person anyway - if the bunkers in Corballis definitely need one as they are very steep. S/W or GW is probably one of the hardest calls.

Another post up above is interesting on the putting off the green thing (a particularly strong point / often used thing be me) - as Links courses go, Corballis is one of the least putt of the green locations you could play on. Just off the top of my head - putting off the green - will not work or be very hard on 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 - might work ok on 9. But it is a rare links course that would be like this. As was mentioned so many of the greens are target greens raised above the general play area.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

What's the sand like in the bunkers there.

Fluffy or more compact.

Considering P or 9i as most lofted. Call it the Seve challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Bunkers are real beach soft sand ...difficult.

They need a SW to be honest

the sand is soft, on the 5th last year I hit into the face of the green side bunker and the sand collapsed over the ball to completely cover it. Took a while to find it.

Obviously depends on how far you hit your 7 iron, and the wind but I would be going for an 8 iron rather than the 7. It solves more problems for you, plus it allows you to go for the higher lofted wedge - which again you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

It went, then resulted in a trip to the doc and physio for a damaged rotator cuff. 4 weeks out of action so guess I'll be winging it in the hope of just finishing a round of golf. At least the bag won't be heavy from golf clubs, just a years supply of golf balls. 🤣

• Advertisement

Advertisement