Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your argument proceeds on the basis that the Protocol was inserted because Varadkar wanted it.

But this is nonsense, as anyone who was alive and sentient in 2019 is well aware. Varadkar, and FG, and Ireland, were perfectly happy with the draft Withdrawal Agreement negotiated and signed by the EU and the UK which did not include the Protocol. It avoided a hard land border in Ireland, which is all they ever wanted. It was the UK that changed its mind and repudiated the draft. And it was the UK, under the leadership of Boris Johnson that asked for the insertion of the NI Protocol to make the Withdrawal Agreement acceptable to them.

I get that this is extremely upsetting to Unionists. I even understand that they have difficulty acknowledging it — it's very scary for them. Someday they're going to have to put on their big boy pants and deal with it, but maybe unionism needs to mature as a democratic political movement first. These things take time.

But this demonisation of Varadkar for it? Varadkar as the hardline republican irredentist who will harm Ireland's political and economic interests and jeopardise peace on the island in order to oppress unionists? Don't make me get sick into my own scorn. I am no fan of Varadkar's, but he is probably the one of the last politicians in Ireland who would be remotely tempted by such an agenda. If you're looking for a figleaf to cover up the scandalous genitals of Brexiter disdain for Ulster, this isn't it. This is completely transparent.

I don't have a problem with unionists wanting the UK government to renegotiate the WA to eliminate the Protocol. But that would require the UK to look again at the factors that made them ask for the Protocol to be inserted in the first place because, if they're not willing to do that, I don't see how they can possibly negotiate the Protocol out. And — I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until you acknowledge it — unionists who point at Varadkar to avoid demanding the necessary action from Westminster are complicit in the maintenance of the Protocol.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Westminster have bigger fish to fry than NI so we won’t get far there accept when we hold balance of power and the DUP completely screwed that up last time.

oh I agree Leo is not the sole problem. Republicans, nationalists, Irish government, etc played on the concern of violence if there was checks on the island to try and put Uk in a position where they would accept a soft brexit fudge.

this could be easily sorted if Leo etc wasn’t using NI peace as a negotiating tool.

what did you honestly think of loyalist posters last week stating that ‘violence is now a real possibility’? And rather than be disingenuous laying a trap, let me be completely open - they are repeating the words of Leo only the other way around

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If loyalists are threatening violence then this has been brought about solely by the actions of the UK government and the DUP.

There were no threats of violence by either side prior to the UK leaving the EU. The peace achieved through the GFA was stable although delicate. Cameron's choice to try and settle internal Tory fighting by putting an ill-defined referendum to the people despite warning about the risk to peace in NI was the initial action. This was all given the thumbs up by the DUP who campaigned for the leave side. At no time during the campaigning, was NI or its peace given any consideration by those who campaigned to leave.

Then when trying to arrange a trading deal with the EU, the UK government proposed the NIP. This protocol was welcomed by both the UK government and the DUP.

Despite warnings of the risk to peace from a Brexit that in any way destabilised NI, including from your percieved villan, Varadkar, you are now agreeing with them. Brexit did risk peace. Now the NIP has mitigated that as much as possible. It just so happens that the threat is coming from a few loyalists who, like their friends in the DUP, offer nothing by way of suggested solutions.

So how would you, as our resident unionist voice, square the hole made by Brexit so that peace in NI is not threatened by anyone and yet keeps both trading blocs happy?

I think if they think violence is a real possibility then they should stop pissing around for political effect and start demanding that Westminster takes the steps it needs to take to fix the problem it has created.

If "Westminster have bigger fish to fry" they need to accept that the Union is in trouble, and the trouble comes from Westminister, not Brussels. The EU not only also has bigger fish to fry; it's much less well-positioned to fix this problem. The Brexiters who run the UK despise Ulster and Ulster unionism; Ulster unionists are afraid to call that out and demand that it changes; what exactly do you think the EU can do to fix that problem for you?

It was a good five years ago, well before the NI Protocol was thought of, when one commentator said (in the context of the Joint Declaration) something like "Obviously, Westminster ought to honour the promises it makes to NI, and the EU would very much prefer that it did. But in the end the EU can't; it has neither the power nor the right to do so." And I think that's still the position today.

Wishing you all the greetings of the season and hoping you have a great Christmas, whatever your political outlook

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

And to you too downcow.

You have serious problems imo with the succinct and convincing posts 452 and 454 above.

Sorry posts don’t seem to be numbered on my system so no idea what you are referring to

The title of the thread seemed sensible at the time, but as 2022 passes into history so does the expected 2022 election.

I posted in this thread that I thought there was a very real chance now that there would never again be an election to the gfa institutions. Here is a very soft moderate but well-informed unionist saying likewise. A good realistic piece

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Westminster didn't "accept" the deal they wrote it.

And they wrote it because they don't give one single fuk about you or other Unionists.

I don’t disagree with you there breezy. That’s been the case with regard to the elite in Westminster for 100 years.

• Advertisement

And that's a problem that loyalists are not going to fix by parading around Dublin with empty coffins. This looks more like an attempt to conceal the problem than to address it.

Read breezys post again. Put politely, you could reword to say, that where the eu imposed checks are positioned in relation to ni are far down the UKs current priority list.

I am agreeing with that

but Leo etc has taken advantage of that situation with zero regard for fairness or for peace on this island. That’s why there is angst being directed at Dublin. If the Irish gov cared about peace in ni or the gfa then they would not have acted for one community and against the other.

they have created a monster. This is going to be a very long battle but our community is up for it because it is more important to our community than those in GB, Ireland, EU, USA etc. Our community is the cornered rat in this situation. Hence the polls showing that the parties taking a strong stance on a protocol overhaul are destined to improve at next election.

many posters on here have consistently told me we would achieve nothing re changes. The facts demonstrate otherwise. If unionists had stayed quiet and accepted the injustice then the protocol would be implemented. Instead we have even the EU now extending grace periods to appease unionists.

we are already a very long way from what posters said would be implemented and that we should just ‘suck it up’

i expect something close to this below to be agreed by eu in the coming weeks - and that’s just one wee battle won in the long war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@downcow wrote "This is going to be a very long battle but our community is up for it because it is more important to our community than those in GB, Ireland, EU, USA etc."

How would you define your community?

Is it only the community of DUP voters or does it include all peoples of NI ?

Does it include the majority in NI who voted against Brexit?

These are not "eu-imposed checks", downcow. They are Brexit-imposed checks; the EU's preference was always not to have them. And their location was not always "far down the UK's priority list"; as I've already pointed out, the UK wouldn't ratify the Withdrawal Agreement until it got the NI Protocol, placing the checks where the UK wanted them.

Their posturing with the NI Protocol Bill notwithstanding, it may be the case now that Westminster doesn't care greatly about getting the checks moved from where it has had them placed. But this still wouldn't be a reason for Loyalists to protest in Dublin. If London doesn't care, and the British citizens most affected by this can't make London care, then I don't see how Dublin is expected to make London care. And the irony of Loyalists looking to Dublin to protect them from the disdain of the Westminster establishment cannot go unnoticed. Loyalists would normally be appalled at the idea of Dublin purporting to dictate the UK's internal trading arrangements, but now they are demanding that Dublin should do precisely that?

Seriously, this doesn't look like an attempt to pressure Dublin to pressure London to treat Unionists decently; it looks like an attempt to pretend that Dublin is responsible for what London has done, because acknowledging the truth of the matter is (a) embarrassing, given that the same Loyalists backed London to the hilt on the long march to the NI Protocol and (b) scary, because saying out loud that London has nothing but disdain for the Union has implications that even the most one-eyed Loyalist cannot ignore for long.

As for the "long battle", the chances of victory are limited if you try to conduct the battle without naming or directly attacking the enemy, and if all your manoeuvres are conducted in Dublin, well away from the front. The bones of the solution you propose have been on the table for a long time; the main obstacles to progress being (a) the inability or unwillingness of the UK to provide real-time customs data; (b) the insistence of at least some in the UK on rejecting any compromise which involved accepting the CJEU jurisdiction which the UK explicitly accepted three years ago; and (c) the sustained efforts f the UK to destroy the trust that would be needed for an agreement like this to work. None of these are obstacles which Dublin can or ever could remove. Loyalists who are not interested in tackling these problems are, as I say, not really interested in modifying the protocol; they just want to posture about which while being complicit in its continuation.

‘Our community’ means various things in different contexts, as im sure is same for you.

In usual context I mean people who are part of the Northern Ireland community.

in the post above the reference to cornered rats means those who feel alienated and offended by the protocol. Does that help?

Just to be clear, that was not an acceptable solution I posted - it may be a stop along the way.

I have condemned Leo’s disregard for the gfa and unionists on here many times. So praise where praise is due.

he will have thrown some regular posters on here into panic as he has just said the dreaded word that they said unionists would never bring unto the table.

“The protocol is not being fully implemented and yet it is still working. I think that demonstrates there is some room for further flexibility, for CHANGES that hopefully will make it acceptable to all sides,” said Varadkar,

we’ve got to this point quicker than I thought we would

Again, you are trying to re-write what you were told. You have been told countless times athat there will be no changes to the protocol but there could be changes within the terms of the existing protocol.

As for your alleged criticism of unionists, I'm struggling to recall any. Your allegiance to unionism has blinded you to the facts about the protocol and who led to it. It wasn't the EU. It wasn't Leo. It was the party you claim you will vote for. It was your government. You cannot solve a problem if you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge what created it.

I don’t want to waste my energy search through threads, but it is without question that o was told many times categorically that there would be no changes to the protocol. I was told there are flexibilities built into it which could be used providing the Uk did not introduce bills to block or unilaterally extend grace periods.

leo has used a very important word (changes) that I think you will struggle to find him or any eu rep using before. That’s important and to be welcomed. Thank you Leo.

Maybe read what he actually said and its context and then you might point out where he says that the protocol will be changed and it won't just be making use of flexibilities built into the protocol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

So not the community of the people of NI, who voted against Brexit .

Do you accept that what the DUP are looking for is not supported by the majority of people in NI?

• Advertisement

I quoted him exactly. It is actually key that he mentions flexibilities as well to emphasise the need for CHANGES.

“there is room for flexibility and room for changes.” He couldn’t be any clearer. The whole article is a great read. It is day and night from his position over last few years. As I said, another step on the road.

You are missing the point that gfa done away with majority rule.

we all also know that a large section including alliance are floating in the middle and will just agree with whatever eu and Uk agree. So should the govs agree what dup want then the majority would support that. Life is never as black and white as you would like

But the EU won't agree to it if the UK are going to regard it as just a "step along the way". What the EU needs is an agreement that the UK will not only make, but will also keep; nothing else will interest the EU. The barrier to agreement all along has been the UK's constant undermining of its own commitments. The softening in the EU's tone over the past few months is an indication of what's available if the UK decides to come to the table as a responsible sovereign state that understands that the flip side of having the capacity to enter into binding obligations is that the obligations are, in fact, binding. Any deal that involves the "flexibilities and changes" that Varadkar is talking about will also involve the UK committing to the principle that the deal is binding on both sides, and can only be further changed by agreement.

Clearly international agreements are not binding eg gfa. The agreement was for cross community consent which has not been upheld on the jurisdiction given to the eu foreign power.

sf wanted, and got the agreement that the fmdfm office would be joint. Listen to their language now that they hold the most seats - seems it wasn’t binding.

Another day another admission. I have been told continuously on here that Leo had nothing to do with creating Irish Sea checks. Seems he has said himself today that he helped create to look after nationalists in ni (I haven’t seen the quote yet, but if true, another incredible admission.

I wonder would posters on here retract their claims that Leo had nothing to do with it and that unionists should not direct their anger at the south?

Most of the people braying about the GFA having been violated are people who never accepted the GFA in the first place, and not a few of them seem to be people who have never read the GFA or who, at least, are aiming their rhetoric at an audience that has never read it. Awkwardly for them, the UK's own courts have consistently held that the NI Protocol does not breach the GFA.

If you can link to one of the "continuous" posts here in which you are told that Varadkar had "nothing to do" with creating Irish Sea checks, that would be helpful. If you can't, well, we'll draw our own conclusions. What you have been told here, more than once, is that the NI Protocol was a UK ask (and, to be fair to you, I don't think you have ever explicitly denied this; you just seem reluctant to confront its implications). The UK proposed the bones of what became the Protocol in a letter to the Commission on 2 October 2019. After meetign Johnson a week later, Varadkar did back the UK's ask, which may have played some role in getting the EU to accept it. Reportedly, Varadkar's particular contribution was the idea of a clause allowing the NI Assembly to terminate the application of the Protocol. (That can't happen, of course, if there's no NI Assembly.)

And I point, once again, to the incongruity of loyalists protesting at the failure of the Irish government to prevent the UK government from regulating the affairs of the UK as it thinks best. It is impossible to take these protests seriously, or to think that loyalists themselves seem them as anything more than posturing to distract attention from realities they would rather not confront.

Can’t open your link but no point in us arguing around in circles over nuance.

to suggest that Leo and eu have not significantly changed their language is ridiculous.

to suggest that this change in language would have happened had unionists ‘sucked it up’ and just accepted it is ridiculous.

therefore to suggest that unionists have not made an impact on the direction of eu/Leo is ridiculous.

I had predicted that unionists would up the anti in (the Leo tactic) of reminding everyone that undermining peoples sense of nationality on this island has historically led to conflict and indeed violent conflict.

the change in language is welcome and indeed the change in actions from eu eg unilaterally extending grace periods is welcome.

unionists need to bank these and move to next objectives.

as I said, a long journey with small battles.

this is another area where unionists have become the crocodiles. Leo and the eu need to keep feeding us, we are very hungry 😋

i have admitted before how unionism has become the (boring) defenders and Irish were the (sexy) strikers, always chasing and scoring goals. The protocol is a very interesting development that has flipped that and is encouraging and emboldening unionism. Who would have believed it!

Leaving to one side the issue of whether the EU's position has or has not changed, if you think any change happened because Unionists wouldn't "suck it up" you are frankly delusional.

You've said yourself that Westminster doesn't care what Unionists say or do - they have bigger fish to fry. But if Westminster doesn't care, why in God's name would Brussels? The state of the UK union is absolutely not their business, and they certainly won't alter their interests or objectives in an attempt to influence it; why would they? Their ambition has always been much more limited; to ensure that Brexit doesn't destabilise the GFA by triggering a hard border in Ireland.

(You might think that they should also aim to ensure that Brexit doesn't destabilise the GFA by triggering a hard border in the UK. But they EU are nothing if not realists; a hard border within the UK is a domestic matter for the UK, a third country and not a member state. There isn't a great deal the EU can do to prevent the UK from setting up an internal border if that's how it chooses to avoid a hard border with the EU, and the EU knows this. God knows they tried that, but the UK wasn't having it. They are not gong to jeopardise their own interests and objectives in a fruitless attempt to interfere in the UK's domestic choices. The EU doesn't have a magic wand it can wave for you on this issue, downcow.)

So, if the EU doesn't change its position in response to Loyalist coffin-posturing, what does it change its position in response to? You already know the answer to this — every person of ordinary common sense knows it. The EU responds to their counterparties in this relationship; the UK government. If they are signally a willingness to make a fresh deal with the UK, that is because they think, or at least hope, that the UK is finally ready for the negotiations and commitments which that would involve.

Nonsense.

so why do you think Leo is changing his language?

…and surely you are not saying that the irish government has no influence with the eu? …..and are you saying that the Irish government pays no attention to the mood in the unionist community? Only the nationalist community?

join the dots. It’s not difficult.

but answer this for me. If there had be zero opposition from the unionist community would there be the current movement and admissions that all sides got stuff wrong?

you also make an interesting point above around the eu interest (in their view) in protecting the gfa. This is exactly one of the reasons the institutions are down. It is one of the levers unionists can use. Can you really not see the inevitable outcome of what you posted ie if there are not significant changes to the protocol then unionists will not be operating the gfa.

• Advertisement

Leo hasn't changed his language - it was interpreted in a manner unintended. As per the article I linked to previously (which you apparently cannot open) it says...

It was not the Taoiseach’s intention to suggest that the text of the Northern Ireland protocol could be renegotiated, but rather that there was scope for more flexibility in its implementation, Leo Varadkar’s spokesman has said.

Speaking to political correspondents at Government Buildings after the first Cabinet meeting of the year, the spokesman said Mr Varadkar’s comments about the protocol perhaps being “too strict” were not a signal that the text of the agreement could be rewritten.

The spokesman said it was not the Taoiseach’s “intention” to signal that changing the text of the protocol was now up for discussion between the EU and the UK. Rather, he added, Mr Varadkar was seeking to suggest that the “issue of flexibility is an important one”.

It is both tiring and pathetic to read the constant sense of victimhood that you percieve from Leo and the EU. You still are not challenging those responsible for Brexit - you're still blaming the EU for something that was brought about directly by HMG and supported by the DUP (who you plan to vote for). You still want the EU to make changes to somehting Westminster created.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement