Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2023?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

My goals for 2023 are as follows,

• Cover at least 7000km for the year, which is a repeat of what i did in 2022.

• Be consistent with 6-7 hours structured training each week.

• Get back to commuting to work 2-3 a week.

• Do the Cooley Thriller.

• Get a top 10 finish in at least one round of the club league.

• Repeat a 400km two day bikepacking trip we did last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can you post up how you get on with those? I'm going to see if I can squeeze the 35mm version onto my Genesis Equilibrium for Flanders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

will do. its early days yet and haven't had a dry road but they seem to have plenty of grip in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I was running 32mm slick GravelKings (with tubes) on the Croix de Fer and found them great. Very durable and rolled very nicely. Grip on the whole was fairly decent, though coming from GP 4 Seasons the could be slightly sketchy cornering in the wet. To the eye (I didn't measure them so purely subjective) they didn't come up as wide as others when on. I've a couple of pairs of GK small knobs to go on in the next few weeks - a 32mm with guards, 38mm without. I remember looking at the Equilibrium at the time and I think the max tyre clearance then was 28mm - you might struggle with 35s. The 32s are still very nice - though I understand your wish for more volume!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - I have 28s on now with mudguards and they fit very comfortably (I think mine is the 2019 disc model). I can easily fit an 8mm allen key through each side (this is a great way of measuring tire clearance that I saw on GCN) so the 35s might fit depending on the exact tire and wheel combination. It is maybe worth a try. The latest Equilibrium's come with 32mm tires from stock so normally you'd be ok to go up one size, I just haven't been able to figure out when they changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

A group of us did Stelvio last year and it was absolutely stunning, but definitely the toughest day I’ve ever done on the bike.

The first climb from Bormio side is beautiful, and so is the decent down into Switzerland. The second climb from the Prato side is much tougher, and after an already long time in the saddle is very tough in the legs!! Don’t underestimate the prep required, but enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

So 2022 was a mixed bag. Following a lacklustre 2021 when I just couldn't drag myself out in lockdowns etc, 2022 was bookended by a couple of doses of Covid - one in late January (not confirmed, but fairly sure nonetheless) which derailed early year cycling plans; the 2nd in October which given the earlier experience left me taking it very handy for a month. A goal of the WW200 dropped back to the 100 as I just didn't have the form. I made it to the top of the Galibier in July - albeit stopping several times to "admire the view", and wound up with about 3500km in the bag. Easier was the thrill of seeing WvA make mincemeat of the competition in Abbotstown last month,

So for 2023 the rough goals are:

• Get back to and hopefully exceed the fitness levels I had at the back end of 2020
    • Ditto, shift about 12kg of timber to get back to a more reasonable weight
    • Do more stretching and some kettlebells to address the bits that cycling doesn't
    • Improve my ability to go uphill
    • WW150 - whatever that may end up being
    • Full day spin with a few mates over the summer
    • Have fun somewhere in France in July

I've decided not to aim for long term distance goals, I'm working mostly from home these days so they're harder to nail anyway, With circumstances I'll be doing a fair whack on the turbo in the early part of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was having a good year for the first 8 months of the year. Done a bit of training, tried a bit of A4 racing after good placing a in a few LC league races, a great trip to Stelvio with friends and completed the 300km Western Challenge ( made it longer by getting lost along the way 🙄).

Then I came off the bike on Sept and fractured my elbow, so that was my year done!

I quite liked the longer endurance type event, The Western Challenge has been extended to a three event series this year, so I plan to attempt those which may then build enough fitness and mileage in the legs to finally attempt a long time bucket list goal - M2M sometime in August/ September.

Oh, and planning currently underway for another mountains trip, either Ventoux or Tourmalet the likely options.

For now, it’s back to basics after no cycling for the guts of four months. The next month on Wahoo Systm to build up fitness, then back on the road with the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yeah I'm under no illusions about that! I've done the Bormio side twice before including last summer and am well aware that the Prato side is much harder. I also discovered the absolute torture that can hit you when I did the Bernina & Foscagno loop last summer and died a death near the top of Bernina with a long way still to go!

I thought I had trained pretty well last year having followed an étape du tour training plan but came up well short of where I'd have needed to be for the double ascent so will be very conscious of prep this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Had a good year distance wise (50% increase), but road Vs MTB so easy done. Best spin was probably the tour de Connemara where I did some extra bits to get the imperial century in 6 hours and a savage tan. Not much adventure MTB stuff, just messing with mates.

The 24 hour race I usually do was cancelled and my motivation along with it tbh.

I get home from work and I'm knackered and not going out (despite knowing once out I'll enjoy it). Car share too, so I don't get out on the MTB racing/riding like I used to.

Soooooo, that stops now. Back to the gym circuit training classes (I need someone to scream at me and build core and upper body), going to adjust the car share so I don't share on a Thursday (epic MTB races night), try to get out again and commute to work once a week too (Apr to SEP, about 125km round trip) and get out on the MTB a lot more in the hills at the weekend.

I suspect/hope that once I'm back in that routine the weight will drop back into a much healthier zone.

Signed up for: Ring of Clare,tour de Connemara, Wicklow 200 and tempted by that mondello 24hour thing.

Hoping to go to Spain in September for some rays and spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Asdaman

Does anyone know if you need Cycling Ireland membership in order to do the the Wicklow 200? The events page seems to suggest that's the case from an insurance point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Signed up for cork 70.3, am I allowed post that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Not unless they’ve changed the rules. Normally you can buy a one day insurance when entering (used to be a fiver) if you don’t have the insurance that comes with CI membership

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Darrener

Plan on cycling from North Dublin to Northern Ireland and back in a day this year. Just enough to get over the border..I like the idea of saying I cycled to another country today

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm fairly sure that you need to enter a CI number when registering.

However, part of the shake-down that is this years W200 is their insurance charge (regardless of whether you have the CI insurance or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Advertisement