Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If all vehicles were autonomous a phenomenon called "induced demand" would mean that people would travel in the cars more often as they'd expect the system to be more useful and more performant than before. This would increase traffic and eliminating the need to park would only do just that - eliminate car parking (with the exception of the place the cars park themselves at night).

Since the amount of road and street space doesn't really change but the number of cars is greater than they can hold, congestion is unavoidable. I know it's boring but the only solution to traffic congestion is to greatly reduce the number of cars in total which means invest in public transport and cycling and walking. Those work, trying to tweak the car equation does not.

Jordan Peterson is a very skilled clinical psychologist and I enjoy his lectures. I don't necessarily agree with every single thing he says, but I also don't think that should be a reason to "cancel" someone or not be able to appreciate their work as a whole.

On that same note, "TERFS" are not transphobic, they are simply protecting a biological female's right to their identity as a biological female and also protecting vulnerable children who do not yet have the capacity to fully comprehend what surgically transitioning will mean for them. This does not prevent trans people from existing. This does not prevent adult trans people from deciding what they want to do with their own bodies. This does not translate into a hatred of trans people. What it does do, is protect a person's right not to cave into the demands of activists to tell them what to think and what to believe, especially when this goes against the fundamentals of science and endangers the women and children who are historically most vulnerable in our society.

Most gender critical women are in fact trans allys, just not in the way that trans activists are demanding - which is that they deny the existence of biological sex, i.e. reality. They support the rights of trans people to exist. They support the right of trans people to be attracted to whomever they're attracted to, as with all in the LGB community also. In fact, many GC women are LGB. They support the rights of trans people to live their lives without judgment. But this can be done without demanding people to suddenly "accept" that someone who was born a man is the exact same as someone who was born a female. It literally does not compute and is entirely illogical. It is not about inclusion when that happens, it is about demanding validation for their beliefs even from those who do not agree with those beliefs. I have trans people in my life who are wholly accepting of this and they are great people. But the trans activists often aren't even trans, they're just jumping on a bandwagon to get likes, followers, and clout. Not to mention when they're in politics, in which case it's very obvious what they're doing.

We now live in a society where people cannot voice their opinions on this without getting slammed and called transphobic. It's unbelievable. And it's also why what you see online is often skewed, because the bullying from the trans activist's side has silenced anyone who disagrees. I cannot believe people are getting sacked from jobs for sharing their opinions on this online and it makes me fear for what's coming next.

Okay, I'm ready for the mob onslaught now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's fairly obvious to everyone else. Have a think about it.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could just be clearer?

I genuinely don't know what you mean. Are you trying to be smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

In order to have permission to land in Ireland all airlines and shipping companies should take a copy of every passenger's passport and visa which would be emailed to Irish immigration officials. Should someone arrive at the point of entry seeking asylum of any way, shape or form and they do not have any identification (which is quite a common scenario) it should be very easy to find their original documents. If it is established that this person arrived as an economic migrant without a valid visa for coming to Ireland - then that airline or shipping company pays the bill for sending them back in addition to a nice monetary fine.

Also think this should apply to Irish abroad too. Many people have fought hard to legally enter the USA - why should the lads who don't play by the rules get a free pass?

The rights of the victim should supercede the rights of the criminal. I also think the spirit of the law should always be taken into account as opposed to solely the letter of it.

One more thing - if there was a way to create an online system of voting where we could have mini referenda for issues in society - this could easily represent the silent majority who often are ignored when the media panders to the loudmouthed twitter opinionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

traffic congestion is caused by poor and inadequate public transport infrastructure …. A problem endemic to this country from the very foundation of the state to this very day and also by poor and inefficient road planning and design.

people will drive around with empty seats unless they know someone going to the same destination or on the same route as them, at the same time. That is an unusual occurrence.

Still waiting on Luas cross city and extended lines.

still waiting on Metro.

The Dart was never expanded upon.

All examples as to why people need cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. But we do both acknowledge that it's the humans at fault anyway. Whether it be humans using empty cars for just themselves (I'm totally one of them, but I hate people and I work opposite most people so no lifts to be given, not that I would anyway, bad experiences of car sharing when I'm the one driving), or directly causing congestion due to errors in driving and not paying attention. I still think it would be an improvement even if there's more people using 1 at a time, because you're eliminating the bad driving in general (which is cause for the vast, vast majority of collisions, which cause delays) to double parking "for 2 minutes", to blatant abandoment of veh-hih-kels, and autonomous vehicles won't be braking and accelerating like a fanta filled fvucker and instead moderate all traffic to ensure the least amount of impact from merging, etc.

We certainly do need further improvement in public transport, though in fairness, there have been many improvements in recent years, with Bus Connects, 24 hour bus routes, increased frequency on mainline rail and reduced pricing.

60% of Dubliners are using their cars for short journeys <2km that are easily walked or cycled.

• Advertisement

I’m pointing out the irony of your long post voicing your opinion and complaining about how some people cannot voice their opinions.

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining that clearly.

Thank god for boards in that case.

Yeah, just Boards and the Irish Times, apart from that you’re completely silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The drinking age should be increased to 21 year’s old.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ninja short journeys, sure, I’m with ya…. Again regarding public transportation, though that’s only useful if you are on those routes.

I can drive to a certainly popular and almost necessary public transportation hub / amenity in 15-20 minutes, door to door.

using public transportation…

In minutes…

7 - walk to bus stop

5 - wait for bus ( no shelter )

15 - bus journey

4 - walk to other bus stop ( no shelter )

5 - wait for bus

15 - bus journey

Reliably guesstimating a 51 minute journey all going to plan. so we’ll over a 100% difference in transit times between public and private car transportation.

millions of people use this facility annually… yet in a highly populated and densely populated area many of whom work at or around this location…. There has been practically fućking ZERO improvement in public transport options…. The opposite… one bus route was entirely cancelled….so.

when the government get serious about providing far reaching, frequent, effective, efficient, modern, reliable public transport then people will get out of cars ! When they don’t, people will choose other alternatives, like cars. It’s a country with an over abundance of rainfall too so…. Not exactly a master’s degree required to see why cars are king.

there are about 535 cars per 1000 people in Ireland. Which isn’t many by international standards, but give people, far reaching, frequent, effective, efficient, modern, reliable public service transport then more people will get out of cars…it’s simply economics….. when I lived in Paris, you could have gifted me a brand new 5 series BMW…I’d have sold it in an hour…. No use for it... 14 metro lines, tramways, 5 suburban express rail lines….intercity rail….funicular…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭blackbox

Do you want to increase the age for voting too?

Though in fairness, the very existence of the post you quoted from a non banned user would suggest that you’ve got this wrong. Maybe you got banned for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement

The Famine wasn't a genocide.

I think 18 is too young to be getting pissed and destroying your brain & body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

All medical professionals should have to do 2 years working in the health system here before they get their certs to flit off to Dubai and beyond.

That way we would never be short of doctors, nurses, OT, physios, etc.

And when that was up and running, I’d do the same for teachers and any other profession where we have an acute shortage and as they have received a subsidised education (yes, I know its still expensive)

They're getting booze anyway, even below the age of 18, so you're not going to stop it.

The fact that we make a big deal out of alcohol just adds to the mystique, as something forbidden, adds to the problem. You don't get this on the Continent where they have a more grown-up attitude.

Your right, might aswell lower to 15 so seen as their at it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Unconstitutional to restrict travel I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That might be true...but when I did my masters via work (they paid for it)..I had to sign an agreement to stay on for two years or pay the cost of it...maybe something like that could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Somebody had the idea of lowering points needed for medical courses.

You don't really need History,French or Geography if you have an interest in medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yippee, lets make a critical sector so toxic, that nobody goes into it in the first place, definitely should work, lets try this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Need to use the carrot here rather than the stick but I agree with the general principle. The HSE should be offering bursaries to medical and nursing students that commit them to 5 years employment post-qualification in exchange for financial support during their education.

Advertisement