Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There was nothing stopping Gunn from releasing a bland "excited to be here" statement, and leaving all this stuff with Cavaill and the rock behind closed doors until some time had passed. Nobody was expecting rebooted superman or next black Adam for years anyway. If this had come out halfway through next year as a single "here's where we are today" release, nobody would have thought twice.

Instead, he's forcing two reasonably popular faces to admit he's dumped them immediately after some previous suits in the same organisation make a huge public palaver over how important the two of them were. It doesn't reflect badly on the two actors, it reflects badly on Gunn and the wider organisation he's supposed to be "leading".

They've got nothing but an enormous set of messes in front of them, not least of which is "our next tent pole movie stars a child kidnapper dude who beats people up". You would think he'd be spending his time hurriedly separating himself from that guy, instead of two actors whose worst behaviour is to have slightly underperformed box office....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They are really betting the house on getting perfect replacements for superman, wonderwoman , aquaman, and the flash. That is a tall order. Pattinson was a good replacement to Affleck but i think gadot, cavill and momoa will be hard acts to follow and the new actors already will have to win over an audience who may think the previous actors were treated badly.

Depends on the film. The Batman suited Pattinson but if they go the style Gunn normally has? Not a hope. I mean I'm no superfan of his but thinking of Super, Slither, GotG, and The Suicide Squad he does have a certain tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they've said Pattinson's Batman will remain outside whatever Gunn & Safran are doing, as will Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the decision for the Cavill announcement and maybe the others is to be sure it's known they're free from their contracts. Would Cavill have gotten the Warhammer role if they or he thought he was still contracted to DC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If I'm Cavill I'm grateful to Gunn for not stringing me along for too long. Cavill announced he was returning as Supes before Gunn was hired, while I'm sure it's very disappointing he won't be returning, especially after leaving The Witcher, I'm sure there's a part of him that is happy to have closure and be free to fully commit to other projects.

Cavaill is producing it, and acquired the rights to bring to amazon. He's not a hired actor on this (probably deliberate after the witcher nonsense).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

After Halo and the terrible Warcraft movie i have very little hope that Warhammer will be any good though im sure Cavill will make bank if he is producer. Pity he couldnt make Witcher work. If warhammer fails that will be a fair few bad tv/ movies he will have been in.

Seeing reports on Twitter that some WB execs want to keep Ezra Miller on as Flash going forward considering he's kept out of trouble since his treatment for mental health issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn & Safran nix that idea, but if they do keep Miller on after getting rid of Cavill.... that would be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Gunn is being coy on Miller but the closer we get, the worse the questions are going to become on Twitter for him. That's why I said a few weeks ago that he should take a step back from social media, as he's setting himself up for enormous pressure being so responsive.

What happens when the (not saying undeserved) inevitable hit pieces ramp up on Miller in the run up to release, is he going to respond to all of them? And the people rage tweeting at him over said responses? You can see how it becomes quickly unmanageable trying to be so transparent undeŕ obvious restrictions.

I imagine the Ezra news is just part of a larger PR effort to salvage The Flash at the BO. I'd be fairly certain he'll be gone after its release unless a miracle happens, both in Ezra's personal life and at the box office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't see the logic ... unless it's simply a way to ensure the upcoming Flash film doesn't become an instant busted flush - which it would if news came out Miller was already yesterday's Barry Allen. They might as well continue the pretence this unreleased film has relevance for the future.

I thought the same, but then there have been a lot of rumours of Jason Momoa becoming Lobo going forward even though Aquaman 2 is coming out.

The only reasons I can think of are a) they're using Flash to breach the multiverse and therefore cause the reboot of the DCU so want to keep the same actor to maintain some sort of continuity between the previous films and new films, or b) if Miller has gotten his act together, WB may be worried they'll be accused of only getting him to address his mental health issues to help promote the Flash movie so it can do well, and then getting rid of him which could then risk his mental health and therefore will make WB look really bad and insensitive.

To be completely honest, based on his appearances so far he's not that great that anyone would really be clamouring for him to be kept on, not like Cavill. Maybe his performance and character is so great in his own film and that's why they're considering keeping him on, but even putting his personal issues to the side (which we really can't), he's been serviceable at best as The Flash so far and I doubt anyone would miss him if the role was recast.

Nobody is irreplaceable, so recasting Miller isn't a problem. They don't even need to keep him around for continuity, they can use a different multiverse flash to do that once the movie comes out. But I would agree that its odd the lobo rumours are being spread around which potentially undermines aquaman, whereas "possibly kidnapped and assaulted a child" guy is getting a big "ohhh who knows" from the studio. Maybe armie hammer is on the slate to replace Cavaill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Knowing James gunn he'll probably recast his wife as wonder woman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is only so much post production can do lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Holy God intentional or not that woman's demeanour towards it all is comical.

Just goes to show that whatever Zaslav might be, the dummies in charge before him, and before them even, would have done irreversible damage to a number of IPs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every superhero film looks goofy as fúck in the raw production footage. I'd be slow to judge anything from Batgirl unless we ever saw a trailer or any kind of rough placeholder footage.

Yeah I have to agree. Taking one second of that footage at the right angle in slow-motion could just be a quick infill shot in the middle of a longer more complex sequence.

I'd take that over Ezra Miller's style of running anyway.

Yeah. We don't know how that shot was to be blocked at all. As you said, it could be as simple as some slow-motion footage for a Hero Moment, some infill or general coverage to be used as part of something larger. We can't know just by the raw footage alone.

The stupid running alone makes me think the context is important - no chance it's as simple as it looks.

I couldn't find the one I wanted to find, but I did immediately think of on-set footage of the CW shows. Like I said, these things look goofy as fúck without post-production, editing & shot composition making them look at least vaguely respectable lol.

Though with the CW shows, it was touch & go how the final product often looked, I will admit.

• Advertisement

The Flash and Supergirl required significant special effects though, I don't know how much more they could add to Batgirl just.....running. Maybe some close up shakey cam to make it look gritty and frantic?

But that's just me who hasn't a clue about how the making of such things work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's every chance Batgirl would've been a bad film (like there's every chance it would've been good). We just don't know, and rest assured two seconds of contextless behind-the-scenes mobile phone footage isn't going to tell us one way or the other.

Agreed. And that's the thing, we don't even see the camera that was filming her or what angle it's supposed to cover (eg. it might be that they were only trying to film her arriving at the corner and not actually covering the angle of her running), is she in the background or foreground, is it an actual take or just setting up blocking...

The tweet is pretty funny, but it's just in no way an actual representation of what the film would have been like.

The bit at the corner does make it look like it might have been some interstitial or somesuch: where Batgirl stopped, reacted, then ran onwards; thus she only needed to arrive there looking like she was running. I see at the corner there's a marker painted on the wall, so that's probably where Batgirl was expected to land at at the corner.

Again, impossible to know but by all accounts it's not as straightforward as "hoho, look how stupid that looks, the movie must have been rubbish". It may well have been, but it won't be because the filmmakers were so hamfisted they couldn't get the lead actor to run normally, lol.

I remember the comments about Titans when the behind the scenes pictures leaked and the criticism around Kory and Beast Boy at least.

And so the line up for the new DC U film and tv slate has been revelaed

So after saying how they don't want confusion by having multiple versions of the same character, it looks like we're going to have 2 versions of Batman. Though likely get Pattinson's sequel out of the way before bringing in the new one.

The only release dates mentioned yet are the new Superman and the next Pattinson Batman, both in 2025.

Then along with Viola Davis staying on as Waller, others may keep their roles.

Regarding the certifiable lunatic Miller: “There is nothing that prohibits that from happening,” said Gunn

Errrr... Nothing? Really?

I think it's damage control saying how the leads from the upcoming movies may return. They know if they say everything is being rebooted then people won't go to see the films. Sure they even say The Flash is one of the greatest superhero movies ever.

The Flash hasn't come out yet; makes sense they'd publicly hedge their bets til that comes out otherwise it become twice as redundant as it might have previously smelled. There's always a small chance Miller becomes beloved and then what, if you fired the guy audiences loved?

• Advertisement

James Gunn confirmed that he'll be directing the next Superman film as well as writing. To be released July 2025.

Advertisement