Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there seems to be a lot of confusion of what the definition of normal is and a lot of offence taken to the term abnormal which is exactly as it purports to be, falling outside of the definition of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭circadian

The best thing about the "won't somebody think of the children" crowd is that they'd most likely not listen to the older kids (14+) about how they feel about all this, especially if their views weren't aligning.

I never said it was.

If someone is born intersex, they are neither male not female. Sex is therefore not binary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Did I post something incorrect?

Are childless men not posting advising on child development with no qualifications greater than reading some crap from the daily mail?

Do you have qualifications in child development or have children for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is why I always say there needs to be clear definitions on the basics (man, woman, intersex, trans, gender etc) widely agreed. That would stop the majority of the confusion and arguments. Most of the discussions are on what do these words mean and people have different interpretations. It is possible for words to have more than one meaning, and in those cases definitions are required for each individual meaning. Only after that, should introducing this stuff to schools be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're apparently "ignorant" of the Classical world's attitude to sexuality and gender, Pappa Dolla thinks human hermaphrodites are an actual thing, while furiously trying to rearrange the actual meanings of words to fit his particular worldview. Being all over the place is clearly not the purview of one side in this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭circadian

I have no idea what this post has to do with anything you quoted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, you're wrong. Again. They have ambiguous presentations of sex. In many this is on the genetic level and they present and see themselves as the sex they appear to be.

Plus using a "fault" to define a "norm" is beyond ridiculous, save for using it to prove said "norm". Some people are born blind, this does not mean vision is a binary thing. Unless you want to go down the road of epistemic relativism, which it seems you do considering your take on words like normal. It's an interesting philosophical exercise that leaked barely formed or understood into the mainstream of mostly right on thinking, but it's not exactly reflective of reality.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There's been 500 cases of OVO-DSD. But sure, deny that "human hermaphrodites are an actual thing". 🙄

What this has to do with this thread which should be about telling primary school children that trans individuals exist is beyond me.

Why can the anti-trans crowd ever argue in good faith?

• Advertisement

I’m very wary of people who don’t like when parents try to protect children. Something extremely sinister is behind their motivation.

You claimed people born "with both genitals". Your were and are wrong. As for arguing in good faith, you don't seem to even understand some of the things you're arguing about, but are quite sure of yourself while doing so.

As for teaching of this to primary schoolkids?

Me. Earlier.

Putting this highly dubious and recent ideology into classrooms is not going to be helpful for them. It wouldn't matter a jot if medical interventions weren't in play and it would be just another passing trend in society and the kids would grow up and out or into their own lives. However a child who becomes a teenager buying into this who then decides to medically transition at a time in development where their brains, personalities and sexuality aren't even fully formed is not reversible. That's a major bloody problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

This is not true. DSD’s aka disorders of sexual development (the correct term for intersex) are sex specific. Aka each intersex condition is affects either males or females.

Eg. 5-alpha reductase deficiency and Klinefelter both only affects males

Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) and Turner Syndrome both affect females.

Humans are either male or female, sometimes people are infertile or have bodies that don’t have the typical male/female features but they are still either male or female not a gotcha for use in discussions. There are only two gametes and both of those are needed for human reproduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ovotesticular DSD is the rarest disorder of sex development in humans and has an approximate incidence of less than 1/20,000.

I suppose it's normal too?

I am a parent and I also work with children and have received some training in that context.

I believe in inclusivity for children and not isolation. I would always look to encourage engagement for all types children in as many differing activates as possible. To that end I think educating children about others around them to try and remove stigma that may lead to bullying is a very wise decision.

I would have to question why childless men with no background in child development continue to try force divisive ideology to be the only model they will accept in our schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Roderic O'G overstepping again I see but the current Government (particularly the FG side) seems to lean heavily on identity politics, Twitter trends, and "feelz" when coming up with policy decisions. O'G as a Green is out of touch by default.

You are born male or female.. that's it (the occasional genetic outlier notwithstanding). You can certainly later believe yourself to be the opposite gender but that is purely based on feelings and social identity. It does not change the biological or historical facts involved no matter how much/many different terms, societal pressure, or legislation is brought in to support these ideas.

The only obligation on anyone else is to respect that individuals choice. It does NOT mean they have to agree with it, advocate for it, or deny their own feelings/views or said biological/historical facts. All they are obliged to do is live and let live.

But when it comes to young children (and as a parent of a primary school age child myself), there is no place for this ideological crusading in the classroom. Children of those ages mix quite well with their opposite gender, ages, backgrounds and all without any "messaging" on topics that they SHOULD be innocent of until older.

It's also not the place of someone whose ability to educate may be variable and in many cases conflicting with notions about their job/value (and I say this as someone who worked in that sector for several years) to be teaching young kids about such matters (that is the responsibility and choice of the parents), and I would strongly object to this notion if it came to my child's classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

One side says, "lets acknowledge difference", the other says "lets pretend it doesn't exist and for gods sake think of the children"'

Earlier I linked to a study where the same kind of brain scans showed differences between Gay and Straight brains. This did not make the Gay subjects Trans. Though it is a handy way to seemingly legitimise Trans as a done deal in science. It isn't.

I'd broadly agree with the three sexes, but more from a social standpoint as Intersex is a cluster of "faults" to the established two.

On gender? Well one group(usually the so called Left) see nurture as everything and everything is fluid and undefinable, another(usually the so called Right) see nature as everything and everything is hard set and definable. Both are demonstrably half right and half wrong. Gender is a biological and evolutionary reality, but expressions of same can be culturally influenced around narrow enough parameters.

I fully acknowledge difference. Trans people clearly exist. I have problems with how this has come to be currently defined and promoted and I certainly have problems with encouraging labelling of non adults in a way that can lead them to decisions that are physically and mentally problematic and irreversible.

How is informing people that difference exists "ideological crusading".

And if you are the parent of primary school children you will be aware that at a very young age children's(before primary school usually) sense of gender is not based on physical differences as they dont really become aware of those differences until they start to get a bit older. It is based on how they feel about themselves. Children are much better able to relate to their feelings and identity than adults it seems

• Advertisement

It's also not the place of someone whose ability to educate may be variable and in many cases conflicting with notions about their job/value (and I say this as someone who worked in that sector for several years) to be teaching young kids about such matters (that is the responsibility and choice of the parents), and I would strongly object to this notion if it came to my child's classroom.

Its not the place of teachers to teach?

🤣

They have notions about being educators do they?

🤣🤣

Informing of existence does not equal "encouraging labelling of non adults". Where does the belief that telling 10 or 11 years olds that some people self identify differently encourage anything come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I think thats unfair and cherry-picking parts of the post out of context to belittle and undermine the whole post.

Standard operating procedure there I'm afraid.

"Informing" young children about a mature and complex topic on which even the LGBT community itself can't fully agree is both inappropriate, unnecessary (again kids mix with each other quite happily without interference), and pushing adult views and politics on those who haven't the maturity or experience to fully understand, process or decide on such things themselves. As it would be coming from an authority figure in their lives (the classroom teacher) it's also skewed in that regard too as there will be no debate or informed discussion (the kids are incapable of it) during the "lesson"

When they are older and have the capacity to understand and decide for themselves how they intrepet these things then by all means introduce the concept in an impartial and fair manner - but targeting young primary kids with this isn't education and inclusivity, it's indoctrination by those who have already decided what others should think as well.

A lot of them do unfortunately. You only have to listen to the Unions anytime there's any even minorly contentious issue.

I worked with schools and teachers for 5 years and there was a huge difference in quality - from the younger, enthusastic sort to the "here for decades and all about my pay, rights and entitlements" sort. Even in my child's school the quality difference between the 2 teachers he's had most recently is massive. One is proactive, involved, engaged with them and the parents. The other, well....

Lets leave all discussion on religion out of schools so.

Lets ignore history too because you know, some historical ideas are based on politics of the time rather than objective facts.

Children are capable of far more nuanced thought and discussion than you believe. Especially as they approach 9 or 10 where they are very much able to exhibit critical thinking.

Absolutely W.. when unable to properly respond to the points raised with a reasonable counterargument, start picking apart the post, throw in some emojis and run off feeling smug. The only missing element was trawling previous posts on other threads/topics to try and further undermine the poster.

Tis the Boards way!

Do you want me to start with the beginning of the post and dispute everything I think that poster has said that is incorrect. Will anyone engage with me honestly about what was posted and what has actually being suggested by the minister if I did such a thing?

Because right now this thread is off on its usual anti trans bullshit that has nothing to do with what the minister suggested in the article that began this thread and nothing to do with what was suggested be taught to our children.

• Advertisement

This is what I said earlier:

It wouldn't matter a jot if medical interventions weren't in play and it would be just another passing trend in society and the kids would grow up and out or into their own lives. However a child who becomes a teenager buying into this who then decides to medically transition at a time in development where their brains, personalities and sexuality aren't even fully formed is not reversible. That's a major bloody problem.

Not unlike religion class. I believed all of that stuff too when I was a kid. Well the teachers seemed to know what's what, as did my parents. As the Jesuit saying goes; give me the boy, I'll give you the man. I grew out of that delusion. Luckily bending the knee in church didn't lead to permanent damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement