Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Religion I absolutely agree should be left out of schools. How muh damage has it done in this country and to our education system (and the students themselves let's not forget) over the decades?

History is based on facts and events that occured and not at all relatable to this topic which is entirely based on feelings and personal identity in direct contradiction to those historical facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The problem is the modern trend to refuse to acknowledge something abnormal in case it hurts the feelings of someone.

Thus no one can be abnormal, everyone no matter what disability or condition is normal.

We end up with the joke of a situation where someone born, reared and have lived all their lives as a woman and have all traits of a normal woman (i.e. XX chromosomes, vagina, periods, possibly having borne children) has to label themselves a cis woman becuase there is a tiny percentage of guys who feel they are a woman and may or may not have had hormone treatment and surgery.

We had huge fooking palaver about IRFU banning trans women competing in womens rugby when it affected just two individuals in the entire country.

So a woman is someone 99.999% of the time having XX chromosomes and a vagina is now a preconceived sterotype.

FFS.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But you've missed the point Robbie - there WAS no discussion in the post in question was there? Just two one liner quotes and emojis.

You probably should have picked a better example before getting up on the soapbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I think that would be a good start.

I think most people here have been engaging honestly in what is a very divisive and emotive topic.

I also think that interjecting in what you deem to be an off-tangent and dishonest conversation with glib remarks about the Daily Mail, childless middle aged men and a smattering of emojis is not productive in any way and a little pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

There was one quote, two emojis and two questions. Are you sure you read my post?

How about rather than we discuss peoples anti trans ideology ad nauseum in every thread that you or any other poster tell me one actual thing that the minister has suggested be taught to children that there is a problem with?

Rather than discuss all sort off topic anti trans bullshit why don't we focus on what the Minister has said or has done that people are in opposition to. You know stick to the actual facts maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Erm, abnormal effectively means rare.

"deviating from what is normal or usual"

Freak is the same, its not normal.

Go make up your own words rather than redefine mine please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's actually a great example of that doing the round on Twitter at the moment, where an obese women is taking great offence at the term obese, even though it's been used medically for years. She wants the term to be abolished because she views it as a slur. The exact same mindset drives those who want to label abnormalities as normalities. It's been said for years now, but there's a great narcissism in this mindset, as they honestly think for some odd reason that they've the right to shape "reality" as they like.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Conversations like this will always revert to "anti-trans bullsh!t" (your words, not mine) because at the end of the day, it boils down to people disagreeing about what is appropriate for children to learn or be introduced to.

If you feel like people disagreeing with you is bullshit or people believing that a man cannot possibly be a woman is "anti-trans" then you should be prepared to come onto a thread about transgender issues and read anti-trans bullsh!t.

People will not agree on the subject and there is a debate to be had. Unfortunately, you seem to want an echo chamber where everyone is accepting that gender and sex are fluid or that gender is entirely unrelated to sex but should hold the same weight when it comes to how we interact with people.

• Advertisement

What in gods name has this to do with the topic other than being something you don't like?

It's literally explained in the post, it's there in plain english.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Name one thing the minister has said will be taught to children you are opposed just one thing please.

No more waffle one thing

No its not. Your post has nothing to do with what the minister has or has not proposed be taught to our children in our schools. Its just waffle.

It's relevant to the redefining game that is played all of the time by posters when they are trying to defend things that are hard to defend. You're not a moderator Robbie, so stop acting like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are going to lose your mind when you hear what they did to Humpty Dumpty.

It is not hard to define whether something has been added to the curriculum or not. Something either has been added to the curriculum or it hasn't. That is not something that is struggling because of a lack of definition.

So what is it that has been added to the curriculum that you have an issue with exactly?

"Asked if school children should be taught more about what it means to be transgender, the minister said “absolutely”.

That alone is cause for debate. Some people believe that issues such as religion and transgenderism is best left to parents.

"His department, with the Department of Social Protection, is working on policies on whether children under the age of 16 should be able to declare their gender identity"

This clearly only discusses the legality of male and female genders, causing a correlation between gender and sex. This is seen by some as muddying the water as your gender could be more important than your sex.

So there you go. That is why people are talking about trans issues.

It isn't off topic.

"Asked if school children should be taught more about what it means to be transgender, the minister said “absolutely”.

Also on this... what it means to be transgender according to who? It's not a hive mind. The LGB community don't all agree. The T community are also not in full agreement.

Primary schools should teach things that are provable facts rather than beliefs.

It's a little absurd that children in school might learn more about gender theory than the theory of relativity.

So the minister replying "absolutely"

to the question "Asked if school children should be taught more about what it means to be transgender,"

Is cause for concern?

He has suggested nothing in that comment what are you concerned about. That children learn their are trans people in the world?

"His department, with the Department of Social Protection, is working on policies on whether children under the age of 16 should be able to declare their gender identity"

His department is the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth affairs

Are you really concerned that minister with responsibility for children and equality is looking into gender identity with a specific lens on children's issue.

Is it really surprising that the minister with responsibility for an area that is a hot topic might suggest his department consider it.

IMO I would be more concerned if the minister with his portfolio said no they were not looking into this area at all.

So I still don't understand the concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

You are tragically naive if you believe all history taught in school is purely based on objective fact.

Should art and other creative subjects also be eliminated from schools. They tend also to be based more on feelings than fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

some people think that the trans people are brainwashed misfits others think it’s perfectly normal.

we don’t no what whos right or wrong apparently so it should be kept away from kids of all ages for the moment. At least 10 - 20 year’s

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If it was really about child protection Id take your argument in good faith. The reality is it isnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well that's your problem Robbie. I can't force you to understand.

The minister saying that children should absolutely be taught about transgenderism is a concern for some people.

Just because you aren't concerned doesn't mean that everyone else's opinion is "bullsh!t".

And yes, it is a concern that the minister's department is looking into the legality of under 16's being able to declare their gender identity.

Again, perhaps not to you.

Why complicate things? We need to make it simple.

history & religion have been pillars of human civilisation & have shaped the world we no today.

So it’s earned it’s place at the moment.

As for transgender stuff, I think it’s wrong to be teaching kids that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Unusual does not equal abnormal

Normal is the range of difference you would expect to find within a otherwise healthy population. Some people have a visceral hatred of the taste of cucumber. These people are a minority. They are not however abnormal because they are a minority. It is normal for a small number of people to have a difference that causes them to experience taste differently.

Just like it is normal for some people to be gay.

And just like it is normal for a much much smaller number of people to have a different gender identity.

And as long as people are otherwise healthy, where is the harm in discussing it openly?

Religion has done a lot of harm, but it’s done a lot of good too. People got through hard times because of their faith.

Civilisation wouldn’t be here today without it.

Nobody alive knows if there is a god or not either.

• Advertisement

It's not normal to have a different gender identity.

By that rationale it is normal for people to murder and rape because a group of people do so.

(and no, im not conflating murderers and rapists with trans people, in the same way the poster wasn't conflating cucumber haters to trans people)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement