Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing satellite receiver

• 05-01-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, hope this is the correct forum, if not please move.

I have a visiblewave satellite receiver that I get BBC, ITV etc channels on. Saorview channels are received from a different aerial.

I find the user interface on the visiblewave system very poor, the epg is difficult to navigate, reordering channels, creating favorite lists etc is not intuitive. No issues with the reception on any of the channels.

I'm looking for another system that I could replace the visiblewave system with, something that wouldn't require recabling etc..

Is something like the zgemma unit in this forum and option for this replacement? Ability to do recording of films programs would be a plus.

Many thanks for any input on this. The local company that did my initial install (many years ago) is gone and don't know of any shops where I could go to discuss options.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you not just get a Freesat branded one?

Easily the handiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭digitalsystem

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there much difference between the freesat boxes? This was one I found from a quick Google, https://freesat.ie/products/freesat-4k-tv-box

If I wanted something that didn't take changing input on the tv to see the saorview channels (e.g. going from DTV to one of the HDMI sources) is that a different set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

That box is way overpriced and it does not even record. The box you need is the Zgemma H7S but to get best use out of it you need 2 cables from the dish. You don't say your location but that website you posted does installations as well but is in Dublin.

That site does what you need for a good price, this is it, delivery is 4.50

https://freesat.ie/products/zgemma-h7s-4k-uhd-500gb-hdd

Setting up the zgemma h7s is a learning curve, some of the sellers may do it for you but you need to know what to ask for. So ring them up and ask them if they will load openvix on box with a youvixblue skin and set up Autobouquets and epg. And the Saorview DTT tuner you will need to tune yourself but its easy.

And they may even install for you. You only need one remote for channels but depending on your tv you may need tv remote to turn on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeSat boxes have the advantage that they are plug and play. However they don't include the Saorview channels and some of the lesser free satellite channels.

The Zgemma will allow you to mix Saorview and satellite in any order you wish and you can record from both sources. Ideally you should have a second cable coming from the dish which allows you to record one sat channel while watching another. It is possible to configure the box to only use one sat cable but this will severely limit your options. You will also need to include a HDD for recordings. As mentioned a good supplier will do a basic setup for you but it will still need a few tweaks to personalise it. However if you managed the visiblewave, then the Zgemma will be easy enough. As always there is usually someone on here to help if needed.

The Zgemma may sound daunting with a bit of a learning curve, but anyone who has put in the effort found the rewards well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭digitalsystem

When you mention a second cable coming from the dish, are you referring to something like this?

The white cable is connected from the socket into the visibleware unit, the black cable connected to the socket goes to the TV (saorview channels I understand). There are two black cables that are 'uncapped', these go into the attic where they are not connected to anything. In the attic, there are 4 of these uncapped cables (there are 3 tv points in the house, I believe there is a second tv point in the house that has been wired for a satellite set up) looks to have a similar set up in place so think that explains why there is 4 uncapped cables in the attic)

Would that mean that I have the sufficient cables for a Zgemma set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Yes but look at dish as lnb may have only one output so you would need a new lnb and they are usually quad ie 4 outputs, you then need f connectors and joiners and a bit more cable to run to dish. So you can use the existing white cable and one black cable.

To join the cable you need this item.

You then need 2 more f connectors, one to join to lnb and other to connect to box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Same thing from Amazon.de ( germany ) for english , use the drop down menu at the top of the page.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/HB-DIGITAL-Set-F-Connectors-F-Connector-Satellite-Nickel-Plated/dp/B0785RJZM7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2QFGRO5XKNB80&keywords=f%2Bverbinder%2Breparaturset&qid=1673172356&sprefix=f%2Bconnector%2Brepair%2Bkit%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-3&th=1

If you order from UK it most likely will never ship , as there is a minimum 15 euro customs handling charge due to brexit

Or stay local , these guys are brilliant , and I love their no nonsense how to videos ....

bag of 100 twist on f connectors for 12 euro or you can buy em in singles for 25 cents each , and F joiners are a similar price.

Advertisement