Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday - Netflix - Tim Burton

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: Ha! That totally made sense! The show was doing a lot of the other plot stories but the big plot just felt like it was taking over in my head.

From the diary, I had it narrowed down to two groups of two:

- Thornhill as maybe the controller and Xavier as maybe the monster

- The Sheriff as maybe the Monster and the son as maybe the controller.. with a maybe vice-versa

Now.. well..

So Sheriffs son as Monster but who's the controller. Thornhill jumps out as a candidate and the only other candidate there for me is Enid.

I really don't think it could be..

Weems as I'd say the show will be wanting Gwendoline Christie and probably Weems own big story to run across a few seasons. I did notice the .. ooze?.. coming out of her nose while talking to Wednesday

Finished! Well now! That ended really good! A solid little 8 episode show with a well wrapped overall mystery and plenty of little side-stories to keep it going.

Started big, settled into a consistent feel, something like the first season of the Locke & Key series but then ended with a much bigger bang. Felt like they had more money for this. The star studded cast didn't hurt either. 🙂

I would think this could be watched by kids but would probably be scary in parts depending.

commonsensemedia gives it: 11s (from kids)/12s (from parents). I think the violence/scariness would be the big deal for parents to be aware of.

8: Shocks, surprises, action and fun!

Well, I'd kinda guessed Thornhill last episode. She felt like the only person the story had leeway to point at.. also she was Christina Ricci! 🙂 Didn't see what happened to her in the end .. bar a boot to the face.. so I assume she could return.

Sucks about Gwendoline Christies Weems dieing off. I enjoyed her in the show and though she might have a story to explore. I guessed her motivation earlier on but I thought they might do more with her than just the reveal of Thornhill here.

I liked Enids wolfing out and her and Wednesday having the hug in the end. Felt properly worked through by the show writers. The only other thing I thought I would have liked there was the other wolves to have somehow had some kind of thing/event/acknowledgement of Enid.

One of the final scenes I had a chuckle about was thing taking the phone into the wallet. Just something about it got a laugh outta me. 🙂

Future: Yes! Season 2! Bring it on! 🙂

Definitely a stalker possibility, more for the siren Bianca story, possible returns of Tyler and Thornhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Very good show, also leaned into the source material very well without Burton overindulging himself.

Also wasn't shy about killing characters off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was thinking this while watching the show and forgot to ask and just seen another thing on the web about Wednesday and made me remember so I said I'd ask here. Who plays young Wednesday? I think she makes two appearances. I actually think it's just camera tricks but they may have got a young girl in for the part.

Wiki says.. Karina Varadi

and her imdb says... this was her first role 🙂 Not a bad first role to chalk onto her CV.

• Advertisement

I found this on instagram. Short clip of her as Wednesday.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClazpcRDSQB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Damn.. that's actually.. pretty on point for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It might be moving to Prime Video for season 2 since Amazon now owns MGM

Jaysus. Guess I will be heading to the high sea for season 2 so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

In case its not already been mentioned.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Love how the start goes "...and mimicked millions of times on the internet, it's been pure torture. Thank you!" as a recognition of the meme it created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

This one just caught fire.

A bit like Squid games IMO, not exceptionally great tv shows but just seem to catch the imagination of Audiences.

like Squid Games, the hype around this show peaked my interest enough for me to give it a go.

It’s not necessarily a bad show, but middle of the road stuff. The key really is in the casting and JO kills it in the titular role.

it’s hard to know why shows catch fire like this. Netflix’s scatter gun approach seems to sometimes hit the mail on the head with audiences. 🤷‍♂️

I'm on the start of a rewatch. For some reason I find the whole thing funny even the very start. Why is the Nancy Reagan High School funny? Don't know but it strikes a nerve same as the bust of Nancy a scene later. My theory so far for its acclaim is that it has what I call Radio 4 humour. The sort of humour you get on Radio 4 panel games that you are comfortable with and know the punch line even before the joke is told. From the very title I could have predicted the line "Wednesdays child is full of woe" and there it is about 9 minutes in.

To be brutally honest the only character that I think lets it down is Catherine Zeta-Jones. I can watch her all day but there have been better Mortica's and I don't think she is quirky enough, Anjelica Huston for me was a far better Mortica. On the other hand I wouldn't normally be bothered one way or the other by the actor Luis Guzmán but he nails it as Gomez. However hardly an issue as they aren't in it very often.

Only just twigged - needed that second viewing/listening the cello piece is an arrangement of the Rolling Stones Paint it Black. I knew if sounded familiar the first time but just assumed it was a classical piece. Doh!

I cannot believe you are watching it a second time so soon.

Its like comfort food.

Edit> I also take it easier second time around and often stop and google/research stuff. Just looked up Nevermore Academy. I sort of felt it must have its foundations in a real house as it felt sort of right. I thought it must be American Gothic style but was wrong. It does exist in part (pre CGI) in Bavaria - Cantacuzino Castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantacuzino_Castle it has its own website https://www.cantacuzinocastle.com

Post edited by The Continental Op on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

. .

• Advertisement

Wednesday' spinoff about Fred Armisen's Uncle Fester in the works at Netflix

Jenna Ortega was the perfect casting.

She takes what's a good solid watchable show up several notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

though I guess everything will be generic roads through forests, and whatever grounds they are using

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Steve Buscemi has been cast in season 2, he will play the new principal of Nevermore Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement