Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored by Your License Fee: The Late Late Show Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Jeremy Kyle? Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's not say stuff we can't take back. :P

(There's a great documentary about Kyle and how he was a symptom of a disease, shall we say, rather than the main problem. He profited from negative attitudes, and then allowed them to grow and fester. Still, Tubridy has not left 3 or 4 people dead in his wake).

I'd say softening the image is to help her appeal more internationally. Seems to work too, her tickets sell for 50 or 60 quid, in France and other countries. Solid sales too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: a few comments deleted.

Use Christmas to think about your posts. From this comment on, any personal bickering gets an immediate infraction. No reports, no argument

Some of you are teetering on forum bans cos you're just not worth the hassle. Sick to death that this thread is the only black mark on an otherwise neutral forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can i make a suggestion that we go back to a new thread for the show each week? Having this single one is rolling over arguments week in week out.

Business has been poor lately, gone from 60 pages down to 5 , and most of them are grumpy as f**, but then again the show has gone to the absolute dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

Fck me....

Of all the crap bands,chancers and general sh1tehawkery of performances of the Late Late down the years and you choose to have a go at the Hothouse Flowers? One of the best and most underrated Irish bands of all time.If you only know the " one song" then that's tells me all I need to know about your musical knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭deezell

Now now, the Mod said be nice. I was referring specifically to all the spots they got on the late late (this thread's purpose?), and most anything they performed after The One was pretentious pseudo mystic sheite. Dont worry about my Knowledge, I've listened to every thing from Arcade Fire to ZZ top, and have albums from both (origin vinyl in the latter case). You know nothing about what I know, but if HHF floats your boat, that's OK by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Imelda May was definitely a better artist ... when she was married to Darrell Higham ... that much is obvious ... the stuff she did back then and her early fame was the antidote to all that Louis Walsh stuff ... her best album was No Turning Back from 2003 .... before she found fame ...

Since 2015 .. split with DH ... IM has drifted into a career of bland country pop style modern stuff like em all ... in other words she has become the very thing she was the antidote to once !! ...

All good singer songwriters will perform other people's songs though ... a singer songwriter who refuses to sing anything but their own becomes boring and shows the audience they have no passion for music ... good singer songwriters will always do affectionate covers of the material they love ... Bob Dylan and Hank Williams and Buddy Holly and all them guys are the proof of that ... Imelda was once like that too ... she'd do class covers of My baby left me/That's alright Mama and Walking after midnight alongside quality originals like Meet You at the Moon ... but not everything early IM did was good ... Johnny Got a Boom Boom is woeful ....

On 24th she gave out to someone who criticised her it seems ... maybe she should take that onboard and reconsider her choice of material be it original or covers (she sings mostly modern songs now ... most of which are rubbish) ... IM was onto something by going back to the 1940s and 1950s because most of the music then was good and also varied ... today almost every genre sounds the same ... IM was once the successful antidote to the contemporary rubbish ... now she has joined in with the contemporary rubbish which is sad ... she used to be genuinely a great artist ...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

+1 ...

As it stands Imelda's work with her ex husband is the best and I am a fan of that Imelda ... Meet you at the moon will continue to be a go to song ... and I am not a fan of her current style at all ... it is a prime example of all that is wrong in Irish music scene .. ironically something the old Imelda was the antidote for !!

I do feel that Imelda is not the same as a lot of these ex boyband and girlband singers we see all over the place ... she may be singing the same type of stuff but she has a much deeper knowledge of music than them ... I do feel she will do good music again and is more than capable of it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I just watched eamon dunphy doing an interview with tommy martin on TV3....my god even tommy martin blew tubridy out of the park...

Well researched, knowledgeable...led to a very insightful and interesting interview....

Tubridy is honestly not worth 1/5 of his current salary with the quality he produces.....there are so many better value alternatives to Tubridy...Tommy Tiernan, Daithi OSe, Sarah Mcinerney...even someone like Tommy Martin could pull it off at a fraction of the cost.....

The Late Late Show needs a major shake up....its in the doldrums...ratings are muck for the flagship show of RTE......

Tubridy must go....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Tbf, Dunphy is often a very open interview. He doesn't shy away from his failings, or make excuses for them.

It's often very entertaining. He doesn't hold back, and if you speak to him like a person, and less like an interview for a job, you'll get quality.

• Advertisement

Tubridy interviewed Dunphy recently and it was just jarring.....going for death and misery angle all the time.

Tubridy reads a package put together by the researchers and is very ill informed about sporting guests...

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at with regards to the 'going for a job interview' angle. That's what Tubridy does, It's a job interview, with a checklist-and he's not interested in the guest.

Was probably terrified of Dunphy, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Dunphy did refer to Tubs as "being from a family of chinless wonders" in the past tbf.

Another stellar line up for the show tonight.

The LLS producers new years resolution is to make the show even more inspiring and not just pull in guests who appear in the staff canteen.

Greg O'Shea will chat to us about his mental health struggles....how inspirational.....such a taboo subject, no one else does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

FFS. Is there anybody under 30 who DOESN'T 'struggle with their mental health' these days? So tedious and snowflakey listening to all their minor makey-up woes just so they can tick a box and be told they are stunning and brave for sharing and opening up. Bit unfair on people who suffer from real, deep mental illnesses as well who have scarce resources used up by the attention seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Ah now poor Greg, with his good looks, toned body, outgoing personality, thousands of fit women willing to sleep with him if he looked their way, lots of money in the bank, nice house, untold future earnings possibilities from being a celebrity, good white teeth, achieving his dream of being an Olympian (altho nobody cares about his sport), the poor lad had to live through a pandemic and have a lot going on in his head. It’s ok not to be ok. It’s good to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

And he is on Virgin TV every night what more can he say also we had all the leaders on at the start of Operation Transformation telling us all about their lives and weight struggles what the hell more is there to come out two days later, the Late Late is now a load of crap week after week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

Hmm, this shallow line-up is not ever enticing me away from the radio tonight.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That's just it. Mr Perfect doesn't have any more to say so we need this mental health bull to give him something to talk about for 15 minutes. BOR-ING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

From the promo for tonights show,

"With the nation transfixed by the Regency Hotel murder trial"

Who writes this ridiculous crap ?

• Advertisement

That's it. That's it exactly. Speaking as someone who's had issues with Mental Health/ Mental Illness since I was diagnosed at 15 (but definitely had it long before then), even I think this is trivialising things.

If you really want to help people, maybe encourage the government to make more resources available for people with mental illness? Public health services can be very hard to come by, and even harder to get good services. You can get someone who's still being trained, or another who's like 'take these meds' and you've literally just walked in the door and haven't been diagnosed with anything. One friend of mine ended up in hospital due to being prescribed the wrong medication for his depressive disorder. The services are really poor. You often have to search for a private counsellor, or else you're totally out of luck.

But that rarely if ever gets highlighted. Instead we get useless campaigns, useless Health Ministers, or infantilising people (mainly men) when discussing Mental illness. The services are wanted, and if they were stretched before, they are completely sparse now. The pandemic didn't help things. The isolation hit many folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could Tubs not get Prince Harry to plug his book

Next week's guest probably yer wan that done the reading at the ex-pope's funeral.

Ginger Whinger certainly looks like he has a bit of the Irish in him so he could be tempted but then again they said Princess Di had had a bit of the Irish in her but they were probably just vile rumours and Gay Byrne never managed to get her on in the end.

• the current silly radio ad re mental health really dies trivialise it. “I didn’t know sleep was to do with mental health”… “I didn’t know exercise was to do with mental health”… “I thought these were all separate things” all said in a cheery voice that would depress and annoy anyone let alone someone in the throes of a real depression.

He must have a f*ing deathwish bragging about strafing an entire trail of taliban. They got Rushdie in the end, left him blind and partially paralysed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

You do realise mental health issues and “real depression “ ( as distinct from??) are not necessarily the same?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Happy New Year, amigos!

Let the fun begin! 😅

Ryan bounding on to the Blues Brothers Intro Music!

Sadly, no chance of him being arrested by all of the Illinois Police Force.

• Advertisement

How is Sinead anyways?

Wasn't she having (mental) health problems just before Christmas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement