Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Feck it! I missed it so. Hopefully they'll show it again sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Feck, missed that. I did think it was going to be concluded the following Wednesday, hadn't checked the next days schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy the series being shown from Monday to Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

New series of Mysyery Road, an Australian crime series starting on Saturday at 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's called Mystery Road: Origin, a prequel, the equivalent of Endeavour for Morse, or Young Montalbano, with a different actor, of course. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I watched it and Smileys People not that long ago... top drawer stuff.

I will watch the intro from Michael Jayston.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Yeah, rewatched TTSS a couple of months ago. Absolute classic of the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The first two episodes of Early Doors are on BBC4 are on Saturday evening (I guess the remaining 10 will follow on subsequent Saturdays).

It's not too well known but is, in my humble opinion, the best comedy that the BBC have come up with this century. Co-written by Craig Cash, it has a similar look/structure/grit as his Royle Family but managed to avoid that programmes flaws.

Early Doors - Wikipedia

Yeah, it is brilliant. Observational comedy in the same vein as Royle Family, but being set in a pub, it has completely different dynamics. Excellent characters, but with longer and arguably better set-ups for comedy than the Royle family. Early outing for James McEvoy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Loved the two coppers sneakin in the back door for a pint, an the govner humming 🎶will nature make a man of you yet🎶from the Smiths

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

+1 for Early Doors. Absolute gem of a show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Early Doors is absolutely brilliant. Looking forward to watching it all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Love Early Doors. Watching the recording here now.

"Turn off that nonsense Nige" about the police radio.

To the regiment!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Forgot how good it was.

It's a tonic nowadays these repeats

It's funny the nostalgia those pub scenes invoke in me anyway, the ashtrays, plumes of smoke rising,the between table conversation, nobody staring into a phone,even the travel agency catalogue, the politically incorrect views and interactions that probably wouldn't appear in a show nowadays though Early doors is Less than 20 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

On BBC 4 on a Saturday night usually makes for good tv. Just catching up on North Sea Connection which was on the last few weeks. Usually foreign dramas but surprised to see this time its Irish.

I think they showed Hidden Assets in that slot also.

The second season of Paris Police will air in the Saturday night slot when North Sea Connection finishes.

Up to 1905 now.

The Saturday Night scandi-crime slot will be taken next by a new season of "Those Who Kill"

And starting Wednesday 19th April BBC4 will re-air the 1998 miniseries Amongst Women, an adaptation of the John McGahern novel set in 1950s Ireland starring the late Tony Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

I'm about half way through Paris Police and liking it allright. Looking forward to 'Those Who Kill'. I usually record them all and watch it when I have all the episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

I love Dan cruickshank the historian, the documentary he does. Last night there was on "The fairytale castles of Ludwig II" about the castles built by ludwigII of bavaria. His presentation style and voice is really something

Yes I like his stuff.

That was a repeat actually - originally aired in 2012.

He doesn't seem to be doing much of late, his last output was from 2018 Dan Cruickshank's Monuments of Remembrance

Was looking forward to continuing watching "amongst women" but the oul snooker has pushed it out 2 hours starting at midnight, too late I'll give it a miss 😔

Some 'new' stuff in the Wednesday classic spot again. Obviously not new as such, but seems to be a selection of once-off programs that for whatever reason haven't been seen much since their initial broadcast. Might have been licensing/music, might have been the recording needed upgrading, might have been that the story wasn't particularly good in the first place.

Includes the final acting performances of Peggy Ashcroft and Alec Guinness, some Wood and Walters, and a little-known Bowie play.

BBC Four season to celebrate the BBCs rich history of feature-length dramas - Media Centre

I still remember Eskimo Day with Alec Guinness, think that was one of the last ones in that strand. Alec Guinness has an important role in it but it is an ensemble piece.

I look forward to checking out Baal (David Bowie), Hope and the Glory (Maurice Denham), Food for Ravens (Brian Cox)

Beck is back... series 9 starts next Saturday on BBC4.

Tuesday 1st August some clever scheduling from BBC4:

Storyville — The Trials Of Oppenheimer tells the extraordinary story of the rise and fall of J Robert Oppenheimer as he began to make enemies among establishment figures. Oscar nominee David Strathairn plays Oppenheimer in the drama documentary.

I'm not planning to re-watch it myself as 12 hours is a commitment. But posters here might be interested that "I, Claudius" is getting a re-run on BBC4 starting late tomorrow with the first 4 hours, and continuing over the next two Wednesdays.

I, Claudius (TV series) - Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

Advertisement