Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Milk Replacer 2023

Options
  • 03-01-2023 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's coming into that time of the year again when calves are going to be reared by some farmers. I saw this article in Agriland showing prices for various brands of CMR and decided to open a new thread.

Obviously the prices stated are per bag and do not show any discount for bulk/tonne purchases. The one thing I would advise is that before you buy any CMR on price point only is to read the label on the bag and inform yourself of protein & fat content, how many grammes per day are recommended to be fed and temperature of water for mixing. The list does not show whether the CMR is whey or skim based or percentages but it should clearly state the constituents on the label.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

3200/ tonne for two different 26%p ones down here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Number of feeds per bag can vary considerably.

I wonder are the higher protein feeds worth the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I used to generally use the Volac Heiferlac here, but I have found that the AAX calves aren't able to handle the higher protein content compared to FR or BBx, Hex calves. So I have changes to Wonderthrive with Lungbooster from Grennan’s and I am happy enough with it, bit less protein, but all the calves seem to be able to handle it better with less stomach problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Purchased replacer in early November for the spring €2500/ton for 25%protein. A large merchant own brand and well known. Was 22 stock and have it stored dry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

Using Volac Heiferlac here for 2 suckler orphans, very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Bought a pallet of shine once a day for the coming spring,Started using it last year due the fact dairy farmer I get the calves off has them on it before I collect them,Think it's the best CMR on the market.Calves here were ahead of target at the first weighing for with the milk replacer being the only change in feed or managment for the past 3 years . Costing €68 per 20kg bag at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭farisfat

Anyone using kiernan milk replacer.

I can buy it at E 50.30 a bag E2515 a tonne how would that compare to other brands.

Post edited by farisfat on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

If you can put up a photograph of the label it would be helpful. The price is really only part of the equation to do with value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was watching a Grasstec video with a fella in Castleisland and he said he uses a high protein, low fat milk replacer as the low fat content encourages the calves to get onto the crunch. He says they feel hungrier, but are growing mad because of the protein content:

What would be considered low fat?

We use Volac Blossom Easymix (approx €63) which gives 14.85Mj @ 750g/day. (23% Protein, 18% Fat, 47.5% Sugar). I believe all Volac replacers are whey based.

At peak milk intake, they be getting 6L/day split into 2 feeds. (125g/L = 750g/day above).

20kg bag @ 750g/day = 26 feeds

Were feeding BBX heifers with it. Possibly switching to bull calves this year - should we be looking at another replacer? Volac have Olympian which they state is optimised for beef. It is 20% protein, 20% fat and 46.5% sugar. Gives 12.1Mj fed at 750g/day. €59.

Golden Maverick Hi-Spec (€66) gives 17.6Mj @ 900g/day. 25% protein, 17% fat, 46% Sugar. 0.9kg/day growth claimed.

20kg bay @ 900g/day = 22 feeds.

I don't really see much difference between their Blossom Hi-Spec and Golden Maverick Hi-Spec, and between Enerlac and Olympian.

Eringold would be the other popular brand. Was never overly fussed on it - for no good reason.

Thoughts on choice for bull calves?

I'd like to switch to OAD feeding as we both work, but never tried it before. Has anyone done this successfully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I moved away from shine, calves were too full on it and no interest in eating meal, was getting bother with bloat too

we used a skim based powder now instead, calves start eating meal pretty quick which is important

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

What are you using now- I moved from shine a few years back due to a poor quality pallet that I got

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All milk replacer are low fat and protein compared to milk so would assume they should start eating meal as fast or faster than when on whole milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Gudstock yes the Heiferlac is very good and I find it with FRs or anything continental it works well. But the AAx calves can't handle the protein for some reason, it runs through them.

I moved from vital Blue to the shine,..proof is on the scales here

minute our calves went on to it was ours got scours /stomach upsets for a few days

Lads I’m convinced that water on the farm has an awful lot to do with how successful the milk replacer is- I did a bit of investigating and all the powders are trialled on soft water- unfortunately I’m in a hard water area with huge amounts of limescale

Never had that problem here to be honest,there is great nutritional back up from bonanza who make the stuff,might be worth a call to see if you can track down the cause of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For a good few years here we used Supercream from FreshAcres, found it excellent with maybe 10% more feeds in the bag.

supplier stopped carrying it locally

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmbt86

Bit off topic but what temp do u mix shine OAD at?

can’t see it on the bag or on web.

changed to it from milkivit this year on a recommendation. Have a few bags in and waiting for calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmbt86

Brilliant, Thanks

Thinking about using grennans mrp with lungbooster. Am I wasting my time, is there shine stuff better. Will be all aax calves and about ten purchased friesian replacements. Was using champion stuff till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

Dairy Calf to Finished Beef system, using Bonanza Shine Once A Day (sometimes it’s Gain Shine Once A Day but all from same supplier) here since 2017, wouldn’t dream of changing.

Calves much more content on it, calves at least 4 weeks old when we get them, we feed them twice a day (same stuff but different quantities to the mix) for about 2 weeks to settle them in & get them used to the shine, then onto once a day….

Nearly €10 increase both last year & again this year - milk replacer gone very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What makes it better than twice-a-day feeding? Mindset here is still for feeding twice. I suggested moving to OAD but got the short shrift even though both of us are working and would have limited time in morning to feed milk.

Is there a certain age when you can switch to OAD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

have fed calves, mart bought, for 40 years and never fed a calf more than once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

It just seems to suit our system.

1st batch of 10 that we have this year range in age from 2/2 to 18/2 meaning that the oldest in the group is 5 weeks old & the youngest 3 weeks old so they will go onto getting milk replacer once a day from tomorrow, they will get their 1st vaccines today.

Every year when my OH goes into the calf shed in the evening to feed the ones that are on twice a day, the once a day batch wouldn’t be bawling looking for milk, they’ll be content chewing on calf rearer cubes & a hay/straw mix. Since we started using the Shine Original (new name this year) theres no bawling from calves every time they see you either which is great when popping in and out to check on them throughout the day/evening.

Once they have the 2nd lot of vaccines, if the weather suits they’ll start to get let out during the day for a few hours into the training paddock before being moved onto a bigger paddock where they’ll be out full time. They won’t be weaned until youngest calf in the batch is a minimum of 10 weeks old and ready for weaning weight wise.

Once 40 are weaned they stay in that batch together until being put in for the winter.

Advertisement