Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib credit card

• 06-01-2023 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

This is where banking and technology combine, my usual set up with my visa card and paying for item's such as a holiday on line have been smooth up till lately. I tried to pay for a holiday on line with a visa card, I use a password and a code should be sent to my phone for security with the transaction. This code to my phone is no longer working. I've been on to AIB and they say it's a problem with the 3 network. However I had to use PayPal for the transaction and they have no problem sending a code. I don't use Aib app and don't know why AIB can't fix the problem. Anyone else with the same problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I've possibly a different issue - it started happening where the AIB 'confirm' notification doesn't come to my phone even after I resend it several times, and I haven't as of yet proved it scientifically, but have found the message will appear once I open the AIB mobile app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭horse7

Probably a different issue I don't use Aib app. I have my password and they should send a code to my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Same here

If ordering something online, I use the laptop and have the AIB app open on my phone at the same time - the only way I can get the confirm notification without an issue.

So are any of you using the 3 network?

Android? Set the battery saver yo not apply to the aib app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

No. Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭lau1247

If you are not receiving the notification through the App, when was the last time you shut off the phone and restart?? Luckily I only get this issue occassionally. But I know my Gmail App is acting up lately, when I restart the phone, it comes back no issue. The other option to try is uninstall and re-install the App again. It might solve the issue, worth a try

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Please note I don't/ never had the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

There's been a known issue with AIB authentication code texts https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058276902/not-receiving-sms-verification-all-of-a-sudden#latest (I couldn't find any updates about that).

I'm with Three (the only network that's ever been able to reach our patch). Being able to pay for things online is essential here, but we hardly ever get a mobile/cell phone signal indoors. With Ulster Bank I used a way of getting push notifications to my phone over the internet, with the app (plus their card reader sometimes). As a recent switcher to AIB (with a lot of details to try and remember), I thought they'd already put me on that same system. Over the New Year weekend though, I tried our first online payments from AIB, and they sent only texts, so I must have been remembering the long-familiar Ulster setup!.

I can usually find a bit of signal somewhere outside. It's weak, but during those attempts it was still obvious that AIB's texts were somehow different. They arrived after random times, from a few minutes to a few hours, or never (and not once in time), while other people's texts arrive promptly. (I can't remember having this particular problem with texts in the past).

I use an Android smartphone, with AIB's app (plus a (Windows) laptop sometimes). My husband prefers a non smartphone (nothing to do with the fact that we're elderly - just practical requirements!). It's a Doro (they have good receivers), but even he can't always find a signal. We explained this during our first AIB branch appointment. As I expected from reading about their 'Digital Profile' option, they got him set up accordingly, and card reader ordered. Once arrived and set up, we tried most of a payment process from his account in the laptop, and the option to use the reader appeared automatically on screen at the right moment. (He prefers to leave 'computery' stuff to me though, apart from the odd web foray).

I drove to our branch on Wednesday to at least do a couple of online payments with their 'kiosk' system, but couldn't seem to get a mobile signal in there (despite a good Three one outside). I asked one of their people about it, they didn't know why, I explained why I needed one, and that led to someone getting me onto a system for getting push notifications to my phone. It too was called Digital Profile, I think. It involved its own password, and together with the app it would enable push notifications to the phone (over the internet, I thought).

It seemed a long, complex job, with my helper having to ring at least one other person. Maybe I didn't explain my situation clearly enough, or maybe AIB's terminology muddled something (some of it seems as in wider Communications - confusingly inconsistent). (I've read somewhere that exts are technically a form of push notification, for instance). And I wouldn't blame my helper or colleagues if they also got a little confused. We ran out of time, and left it to complete it the next day. (I'd learned along the way that I'd have to choose between online/telephone banking, and the ability to pay for things online. That was a new one on me, but I decided I could live with banking at a branch kiosk, and the deletion of my online/telephone banking registration. Just as an afterthought before leaving my helper, I double-checked that it was going to enable security notifications via internet instead of texts, and it turned out I'd still need to get the texts! That was a bit of a blow, but I already had a quest ongoing for an affordable signal booster (and we'd chosen carefully who to switch to), and that seemed to be that. (At some point I noticed I'd acquired a mobile signal without changing anything, so there was just a delay for some reason).

Once home, I went back to AIB's leaflets and website, trying to work out how I'd got the wrong end if the stick re push notifications. In the website's Help section, under 'I haven't received the Push notification, was "Check that notifications are enabled for both your phone and the app, and that you have a strong signal *or internet connection*". I returned to the branch next day to at least pay the urgent things at a kiosk, and all fired up to lodge a (polite) complaint about the website advice, screenshot at the ready.

I showed it to another helper, explaining why (and that there was no point completing yesterday's process). They immediately knew what to do (keeping online banking and all), and did it there and then. (It seemed very quick and straightforward, though maybe helped by info already logged during Mk1). I asked how long before it took effect (no time). And lo and behold I was able to pay our property tax as soon as I got home, with internet push notification arriving immediately. That was with just the phone, so I tried the next payment from the supplier's website via the laptop, which worked just as smoothly (no fuss at all either way). I didn't need the card reader on that occasion (not that I mind using them).

During Mk1 my helper (prompted by something on their screen) said "what kind of phone is it - Samsung?" I said Motorola, which appeared to be ok. It reminded me of a detail I'd seen somewhere in AIB's info, a step that differed slightly if using a certain phone(s) (One was Huawei I think). Maybe it was just to use a different app, but thought I'd mention it in case it's easy to miss.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I now have the impression that AIB has at least 3 varieties of 'digital profile' (to add to opportunities for taking a wrong step). I guess if there's a moral it's 'Don't give up' (though I don't know if all AIB people are as determined to help as the few I've had dealings with so far). And if their other channels can't solve it, go to the branch if possible. (Maybe ring first, as they might not have all varieties of expertise there every day).

Advertisement