Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter Club 2023

• 06-01-2023 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭paulos53

A few changes for the coming year. The details are here: https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/championships/inter-club%20summary%20of%20key%20changes%20(national)%20-%20final.pdf

The ones that stood out for me:

• The minimum handicap for Bruen is still 3.5 but the combined handicap of each pairing rises from 14.0 to 16.0. This effectively increases the upper handicaps from 10.5 to 12.5
    • The minimum handicap Purcell increases from 10.5 to 12.5. The format changes from a gross foursomes to a nett foursomes competition.
    • The combined handicaps for a Purcell pairing is a minimum of 25.0 with a maximum of 34.0. Effectively this changes the upper handicap limit to 21.5
    • The All-Ireland fourball competition has been discontinued

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All Ireland Fourball competition being discontinued puts me out of a job. I was set to manage it this year for a second time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Keeping Barton and Bruen and mashing together PP and 4ball makes no sense to me

We blooded a lot of new players to interclub with the fourball last year. it was a great starter event. 9 of my panel of 15 would never have played interclub at all before. Lads like that won't get a look in for Fred Perry and Pierce Purcell. I think its a step backwards from golf ireland personally. If clubs are choosing to play the same 15 lads for all 3 teams, that says more about the clubs than it does the competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Am I wrong in thinking the new bruen and pp setups will be absolute heaven for clubs who have previously abused these competitions through use of players who are experts in handicap manipulation??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

There isn’t a format that can’t be abused.

I think the changes to Bruen will put a lot of the lower players 4-6 in limbo. Not low enough for junior cup and partner too high to be worthwhile in Bruen. Maybe another singles matchplay akin to junior cup need for this band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Walter Alright

What is the difference between gross foursomes v nett foursomes competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not anymore than previously

The famous club from Clare didnt play any rounds

Gross foursomes doesnt take ones handicap into consideration for the match itself.

With Nett foursomes there will be shots given in the matches

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Totally agree think they have made complete b**ls of it. If u are a 3.5 HI then the only way u getting on a team is if your 12.5 partner should be off a few shots less!!

As a small club those players from 4-6 will play plenty. But in a big club the junior cup are all going to be at the limit or below by the time it starts

the increase in band for Bruen has now pushed it out so selecting 7&9 or 8&8 would be optimum imo

• Advertisement

At 5.8, I have the most in form player in the club playing off 10.2 as my choice for the Bruen. Hopefully team management see it the same way I do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

This looks a right mess, having started my inter club days in the 4ball I always thought it was one of the best inter club competitions. The change to pierce Purcell also looks ridiculous, literally the only team that a 10/11 handicap can get on its to be the high man on a Jimmy bruen match, good job Golf Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Golf Ireland increased their Annual Fee but have removed a full competition 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1 threeputtpaul

regarding the handicaps.. if my lowest index last year was the handicap i carried over from 2021, does that mean i have to use that this year as my interclub handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

yeah if that is what your lowest HI was in 2022 then that is what will be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Anyone know where I can find details of formats for the various competitions, handicaps etc?

And the details of the draws that have been made to date?

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

you can find it all on golfireland.ie

draws won't be available till mid Feb as closing date for entries in Jan 31st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

Changes to PP will be interesting

Changes to handicap range: • The lowest individual handicap index will increase from 10.5 to 12.5. • The lowest combined handicap index for a pair will remain 25.0. • A new highest combined handicap index for a pair will be set at 34.0. Shots will be given/received based on playing handicaps calculated from combined course handicaps. If a pair exceeds 34.0, they will still be able to play but their combined handicap index will drop down to 34.0.

I dont think id fancy being 2 12.5/13 H/C's and giving 9 shots to 2 x 17 H/C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

would the higher pairing get full shots or like the mixed where it is 1/2 the combined difference????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

GOLF IRELAND website, much like the GUI website is a mess. Very difficult to find simple information on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

already posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

But maybe this is a good idea, change it by a decent margin every year and keep the bandits guessing.

im guessing they feel this will sort out or cause issues for certain clubs building teams or hcaps for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It's a completely different, higher handicap competition now. Previously it was 11 to 14 handicaps. Now it's likely 14 to 20 handicaps. A golfer with a HI of 12.5 will likely have around 14 playing handicap, 17 HI likely to have a PH of 20. Will depend on the course being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Sorry, a bit confused by this. My lowest index last year was 11.1, does this put me out of Purcell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

That's a shame, i enjoyed playing it but I'd be a mile off the Bruen standard!

Not necessarily. The handicap range for Bruen has changed too, so you'd be paired with a 4.9. It's a different standard now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

The new Golf Ireland. We are seeing the influence of the ladies and the WHS here in the overall scheme. Shots will be given in the Bruen in the near future ???

New comps needed with tighter bands of maybe 3 to 5 index ranges. ie 3 to 6 or 6 to 9 etc.

Post edited by bakerbhoy on

• Advertisement

I think more competitions would be a good thing. With the changes to Bruen/Purcell I think a comp for around 5-8 handicaps would be welcomed.

I’d also have a rule that if you’re playing in a comp you wouldn’t be eligible to play in a lower ranked one i.e. if your playing junior cup you can’t play Bruen etc

Advertisement