Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Folks - New issue 😔

The "Charging socket flap open" indicator is displaying even though I have shut it. This was especially annoying when 20 minutes into my 3 hour drive yesterday that it began to audibly bing every 3 seconds for an hour on the motor way....

It’s a 182 so no longer in warranty. Anyone had this issue and manged a self-fix or am I bringing it in to a garage?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Other than the "Have you tried closing it really hard?" option I'd say you are looking at taking it to the garage - faulty sensor in the lock mechanism would be the guess.

I had a similar issue on a previous car with a faulty sensor on the bonnet latch, although that came with the added bonus of the "bonnet open" alert triggering the car alarm at all hours of the day and night.

Just on this, as I said, I usually set the charging from the car and use Eco mode so it charges at a reduced rate over the course of the night (At about 1.4kwh). With using Eco+ setting and using the Zappi to schedule, is there a way of getting it to reduce the charge rate to 1.4kwh? Its charging now at the max rate of the car which is 3.5kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

Not on the Zappi afaik, boost always charges at maximum but you can set the charge current in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Any update on whether a towbar can be fitted to a 530E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

My friend has once fitted to his 182 for towing his jet ski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Hi,

Know very little about cars. My 182’s battery only achieving 17 kilometres on a full charge from Zappi home charger. 40k miles…

Thought it might be the cold but has remained constant at the 17…

any ideas much appreciated,

thank you.

Look at what kw the battery is taking for a full charge. 7 or 8 kw for a full charge indicates your battery is fine and it's the cold weather (lower battery temp., using heated seats more often etc.)

If it is taking on less than 6 or 7kw for a full charge then you may have battery deterioriation/damage. Figures quoted are not exact but I'd say not bad to use for intial troubleshooting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Appreciate that, thank you.

Not sure of which battery pack you have. Earlier ones were 9.2 kw that take about 7kw of charge. Sometime in 2018 (I think) they upgraded to 12kw battery packs that take 10kw of charge. Guessing you are the former but just to note when troubleshooting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to keep you safe, our 2017 530e doing exactly the same the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Corporatemarky

If it’s at all comparable our 162 UK sourced 330e currently reduced from 31 km range at full charge in the summer to 24 km last 3 weeks…the small battery. 17 km is extremely low for a 530e.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

24km range showing here today on a 221 which has the bigger battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Is there anyone who could give me an idea on mpg for a daily 40km (each way) commute i.e. Naas to Sandyford, so mostly congested motorways. Will be able to charge at each end, and looking at bigger battery 530e

We are talking actual achieved range. Not what the GOM displays.

My 530e still displays 34km at 100% but achieves half that currently due to cold weather and short trips.

The relative drop in range is on par with my 80 kWh BEV for similar trips currently too so I wouldn’t be worried about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'll be close to doing that fully on electric in ideal weather and traffic circumstances if you keep it at 100kmph.

Go faster, get stuck in traffic or have bad weather when you've the heating on high you'll certainly be using some petrol.

You're an almost ideal candidate for a phev though if you have a plug on both ends. You'll see great mpg overall on that commute. If you drive much in the evenings you'll be using petrol though I'd guess as it will be empty after your commute home and wouldn't have much time to charge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed.. you should be able to cover 55/60+ kms of that round trip on full electric on most days.

On the newer 30e yes. With the 12 kWh battery you have a chance. I don’t think you’d do it on the 2017/2018 9 kWh version.

In fairness to BMW their reg driving recharge percentage we get is about 40%. In daughters 2021 Kia Nero plug in hybrid they get zero !!

• Advertisement

Even on the motorway the BMW gets it. Just on a 180km drive today in the PHEV Niro, and zero recharge created along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

What mode were you in? Get plenty of recharge in my ceed phev and it has an identical drivetrain to the Niro. The Niro you were in today is far more efficient than the 530e.

Good question thx. I don’t know which mode..in fairness the ICE range surprised me as filled the tank (mid 30s litres) and range 650 km…330e has similar tank but in the 400s, a 2 litre engine vs 1.4 in the Nero PHEV..I know this is a 530e thread but if you had mode advice for the Nero, to get ICE recharge, I’ll pass it on…thanks and have a good of New Year..

Full tank on the 530e is 40L. Displayed range currently at full is 330km (petrol) and 34km (battery). 2017 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Conscious of not polluting the 530e thread with Niro talk as you say! If you are looking for the engine to charge the battery then put it into sport mode and don't drive it too hard. It is not something I do as it impacts fuel consumption. To maintain the battery charge if driving long distance on motorway and wanting to have battery for urban or local roads at the other end it is best to use hybrid mode. Brake regeneration works all the time you are braking (unless braking very hard to avoid hitting something). AFAIK, the Niro PHEV doesn't have the regenerative paddles on the steering but open to correction on this. You might have a look. For the Ceed and Xceed PHEV, because neither have the paddles, there is a common misconception that regenerative braking isn't available. It occurs without needing the paddles but cannot be adjusted (in the same way it can be in an Ioniq 5, which I know you are familiar with).

The Niro has a 1.6 rather than 1.4 petrol engine. This is run on the Atkinson cycle similar to the Toyota hybrids. So it isn't turbo charged but gets its boost (admittedly no where near the boost a 530e or 330e has) from the electric motor.

Any questions, happy to answer by PM. Kia/Hyundai took a very different approach with their PHEVs (Niro/ceed/Ioniq) in comparison to most other manufacturers meaning that they gave them a modest amount of BHP (well south of 200bhp) but as a result, they are by far the most efficient- even with a 0% battery charge.

Great stuff thx I’ll pass it on. The 330e and I’m sure the 530e also has a good auto select, very sensitive. I’m a Max EDrive driver..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I have been doing a commute recently in my G20 330e .. 65km each way and I have a home charger and free charging at the office. Averaging about 1.5l/100km over the week - that is about 85% motorway (M1 / M50) .. so relatively slow moving overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

I'm looking for some advice as I'm in the market for a 530e (initially 330e but have moved on from that idea now).

I'm trying to differentiate the different battery models and when the change occurred. I'm looking for a 182-192 but not sure if I'll end up with the bigger battery? The budget is tight at a max €35k so expecting higher mileage too and want to be conscious of any potential battery degradation.

I'd have a 25km commute to work and charging at both ends, so I would like to think I'd nearly manage full electric on that.

Bigger battey model will be a minimum of a 192 plate as far as I know. We bought one 2 days ago. Its a lovely car. Small boot but otherwise great.

You should just about do your commute on the smaller battery except in cold/heavy traffic/high speed. Normal mixed driving should be OK.

My advice would be get the best car you can get for your money, msport if thats what you want, low mileage, good condition, well specced, don't let the battery be the be all and end all because no matter how much you think you won't use much petrol, reality is, you will. Plugging in 2/3 times a day in the wind and the rain can become a pain and you might not do it! And any usage after work will be on petrol too as you won't be charged up for a few hours.

The missus has a shorter commute than you but I am only estimating 50% of distance will be covered by battery, if even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

12kW battery model 530e also has the C shaped speedo dials from 192 onwards,

some 192's will have the round dials and I assume the smaller battery also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes and that dash display alone is worth looking for as the old setup is past it imo.

• Advertisement

Some 181 cars got the new dash, i always though that meant it was the 12 kWh version, but now i'm not too sure.

Here's a 181 - 181D BMW 530E M-Sport for sale in Dublin for €28,900 on DoneDeal

9 kWh Battery

possible 12 kWh Battery

Never saw an 18 with the new dash before. I'd put money on that being the wrong photo on that ad.

Autosports would be a decent dealer, not like them to mix and match photos.

Possible it was retrofitted?

I've seen the photos mixed up before on a 530e .... Same dash issue.

Yeah, that newer dash only comes with the Series 7 software, which cannot be retrofitted to the older models to the best of my knowledge.

That's the wrong photo. The newer version came out in the 2nd half of 2019 , around August (aligning with the change in UK plates)

If you want highest spec for your money then GT Motors in Baldoyle is best place to start. Consistantly has the highest spec 530e stock in the country.

Looking at the first picture of the 9kw version (same as my 182). I see it has the speed liit sign post. I don't have that on my car. I also don have the front facing camrea (fron bottom of the grill). I always wondered was am issing a setting or is something not switched on?

Wants massive money for them. He's a good marketer too ill give him that, makes his ads stand out.

I have the speed post sign on our 172 one. It also pops up with stop signs etc.

I have LED headlights, front cameras and night vision with pedestrian alert so not sure if that’s one package or part of a package.

Can't really comment on comparative prices as I'm not active in the market. If you want low milage, newer car but with less spec then yes maybe he's not your guy. But if you like your toys its as a good a place to start anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies on this one.

I had noticed the variation in dash display - circular vs c shaped so had assumed this was a differentiation on battery also. Certainly looking for M Sport but might have to stretch the budget beyond the 35k to get the bigger battery and spec.

Just to note on this also, I gave a call to Autosport on that particular vehicle.

Stated that it was the smaller battery but had the updated dash? Mentioned spec as M Sport Plus? So maybe the dash was an option pre 2019 rather than standard thereafter on the 12kwh.

Very possible as the digital dash was an option in the F10 from 2015. It also could be retrofitted quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

Usually the pre 12kw battery version have eDrive badges on the rear pillars.

That seems to be another subtle difference too. I never knew that one.

That dash was not an option in 18. Most of the 18 cars were just onto the dash without the protruding silver rings.

The edrive badges I believe could be deleted when ordering since 2017.

There seems to be a mix mash of dashes out there.

Hers a 192 model, 12 kWh Battery and upgraded dash - BMW 5 Series 530E M Sport (plus Pack / 12kwh Batt for sale in Dublin for €42,900 on DoneDeal

But if you look at the centre console, physical buttons, my 172 has none, the whole lower half is digital touch screen. I haven’t seen many with that yet

The 18 in Autosports would appear to have the newer cluster, and I'm convinced a seen a 182 with the new cluster a few months back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Mine has that digital lower half, it's part of the executive package with rear climate and rear heated seats (181).

Cool. I haven’t seen any other with it.

Do you have the rear entertainment system? Screens and dvd etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

No, just adaptive cruise control and slightly better seats. It's a strange spec I haven't seen on any Irish car for sale since. The ACC is great though, wouldn't buy another car without it.

Advertisement