Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I tend to do an attic tidy/sort/clear out in the spring, so at least then I make sure everything is in order for November.

I also put a €50 and a take away menu in one of the boxes, so I can treat myself the weekend that the tree goes up. 🙂

15 minutes and it's all being turned off. 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just done the final turn off!

Roll on November….

We just have Bridget's and Patrick's Day and Easter. Then 3 more months and the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop will be opening. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

No, August. Easter, then May, June and July- and BT opens in August. 🙂

Hardly worth taking the tree down at all when you look at it like that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have turned the lights on this morning for one final look.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope everyone has a great weekend, even though it is the first out of season one of the year.

Made a start on taking down some of the decorations yesterday. Hall, kitchen and stuff on the bedroom windows are gone. All that's left is the outside, the small tree at the front door, the wreath on the fireplace and last and by no means least the tree has to come down for another year 😓

I know it's the worst weekend of the year for us Elves but we are such a positive bunch we will find joy in other things, other people and each other as the year fly's by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That is one of the best ideas I've ever heard. I might just copy it.

Also, just decided to leave tree until next Saturday, I'm just not ready.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Operation Christmas declutter has begun 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

First of thanks to everyone what a great season it’s been on here

Put the Christmas tunes on for a little while this morning Decorations down here made a start while the OH took our little one out for a walk, a few stragglers still to be packed away, I labelled things and grouped things together to make it easier come November, I’ve made a note in my phone too of where things are and notes of what I need, I actually was short on cellophane this year so made a note to pick up 5 rolls instead of 3, along with more cards, paper, bows, I think I’ll do that too @Posy put money for a take away

having a picky lunch with all Christmas cheese, crackers etc while the little one naps will crack on in the afternoon with hoovering etc I think all the candles will be needed this evening early dinner I think today if we are peckish later there is still some party food in the freezer

Ive to do my Mams decorations too but that’s for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well lights off last night at 12😔, started on the front garden this morning have 4 sets of lights on trees then gutter lights between the outbreaks of rain making it more miserable, then will start on inside tree etc.., think ill wait until my wife is home to tackle that.😟

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

House is a mess...how do people store all the kid's toys 🙈

Just had a minor meltdown so poor hubby is trying to reason with the 3 year old about which toys are being put away....this will not end well!

Going to take the tree down and give the sitting room a good clean....hopefully harmony will be restored then!!

I think everyone is working hard today! 😂

My house is still at the looking like a bomb has struck stage. 😖

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m also at that stage. I’m trying to get it all down in between 1 year nap schedule 😂

Feet are killed.

Know that feeling... dont know why I'm surprised every year at the amount of work involved.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I still have a big ham left over from christmas....theres another week or so eating in it.....the wife wont touch it.....

the neverending ham....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Other than the battery operated lights in our front garden bushes we're all done with the de-decorating... it started chucking it down as we were getting the outdoor lights packed away and decided to leave them for one more night.

So that's that for c.10 and a half months, and thus brings an end to the most unorthodox Christmas I've ever had.

As much as I love the build up, we have a busy year as a family so I will try to embrace the here and now a bit more and enjoy the full year for all that it brings.

Candles are lit and takeaway is on the way. Time to relax.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Takeaway eaten and I’m still looking at the decorations and I have not got the energy to take them down just yet 😂 my excuse is I was working all week and only off tomorrow 👍😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Oh good God, even though we had taken down a load of stiff over the course of the week, I still needed to do the outside stuff, the living room and take down the tree today. That's bad enough but particularly bad with a banging headache brought on by pints in the Schoolhouse last night to mark the end of Christmas. Jesus I was not well earlier 🤦

Anyway, everything is packed away bar the Christmas bed clothes which are currently in the washing machine. Wow, the living room look huuuuge 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

ok - had a rethink.. have done a kind of a phasing out job.. the xmas reindeer is gone to the attic.. but cards, battery light stuff etc still in the living room but not not turned on.. just a few regular candles lit.. happy with that.. the house will be bare soon enough - but even then - xmas may be complete for now but the joy of the reason resides.. in heart and home.. love and light to you all.. have a lovely night all.. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Got it all taken down and put away in the attic by about 4pm so that's it for a few months. Brought the little doggy for a walk this evening and seen about 3 houses still with lights lit up so thought that was nice.

Told the wife that she can bring me to a pub tomorrow for dinner and a couple of pints for all my hard work and she is paying ha ha , also it will cheer me up because Christmas is officially finished in the house.

I can see 6 houses still lit up from my front door. These houses are legends!

Wreaked.com!

Started the de-decorating yesterday, took most of day plus most of today! Not 100% finished as some Christmas pjs are still drying to be put away tomorrow.

Couldn’t face the dusting and hoovering so that will done tomorrow as well.

Just finished watching another Jack Ryan episode and going to hit the hay soon.

Left the lights on tree in front garden and a couple of small things around the house that while Christmasy are also just nice decorations.

Followed @Posy advice and took some extra time putting the decorations away, especially the lights.

Sounds most of us are having a busy weekend!

As hard as taking the decorations down it wasn’t a bad out of season today as it was primarily all Christmas focused! 😂😂

Love the activity levels here today too. We are not alone haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Took down all the decs yesterday and they went back up into the attic today. Having teenagers has its advantages when it means I don't have to do the heavy lifting any more 😁.

So the house is a bit bare but it's hard to be down when it's the littlest elf's birthday tomorrow (although trying not to dwell on my baby being 11😱), and we packed our bags to fly to Paris tomorrow for a few nights in Disney. Kids are in great form looking forward to it. And me and OH too.

For those leaving the tree up a little longer, I say do whatever makes you happy 😁🎄😁

Advertisement