Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

If dealers can reclaim vat on certain cars then there seems to be a bias towards dealers importing compared to individuals.

Individuals getting screwed over big time here.

The tiny choice we have down here is pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Nope, dealer’s just have access to VAT qualifying cars from auction houses in the UK whereas private buyers don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone can get their hands on vat qualifying cars in UK. The question is whether a private person can take it out of UK ex vat.

Beck Evans vehicle exporters UK appeared to confirm that they can handle this and will facilitate this in either of 2 ways..... Arrange a reclaim of UK vat once exported or for a higher fee (25 percent of the vat amount I think), they will source a car and sell it ex UK vat for export but taking the above fee of quarter of the UK vat amount.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

If buying a 2nd hand car that's registered in NI already from a NI dealer or privately , is it just vrt and nox to be paid when importing?

Not always.

In the case of say a car brought into northern Ireland from england in 2022, vat and duty would also be due on importing here as it came into ni after brexit.

Imo you need to look at vrc and see a northern Irish address for the owner and a date of registration to that owner that is pre brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

So presume no Vat or customs tax from NI unless car is post 2021 reg or brought in after 2021?

Serious amount of NI cars are UK mainland cars, really hard to see the woods from the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i have spent a while reading over this thread and i think i am even more confused than i was before i started. I have a love of VW Scirocco's but unfortunately i am not in the position of a big budget. i have at a big push 7k. that makes my choice of cars here limited. So i am wondering what it would cost to get one from the north, i found this online;

but i honestly dont know what costs i would incur. The website indictes that the nox charge is 185. how do i know what vat, vrt and customs charges will be on it. is there an online calculator that i can use or a website to check?

I should also note that even though i am 40 this year and have my full licence (only passed my test in december and this will be my first insurance) i can not get insurance on any 2 litre car so the 1.4 model is the only one i can get.

any and all help would be great appreciated

Its a NI reg so no vat or customs, vrt price can be found on the vrt calculator. I’d estimate €1,000 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement

You would have to advise checking v5 to ensure it is a ni car and in ni before brexit.

Reg plate itself doesn't guarantee that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Is that something a dealer/ seller could verify over the phone?

They could surely confirm it but I'd want eyes on cert myself before handing over any cash.

Just checked MOT History on the free UK site. Mileage at last test (PASS - 5.03.2022) was 144k miles. Only 3k added in subsequent 9months. Not a read flag IMO. The last MOT before this was @ 101k miles on 16/1/20. What's important here is that thie MOT test locations are not specified: "Not available for tests carried out in Northern Ireland". Same message for the all recorded tests. This would be a solid indicator for me that you're OK and will not be exposed to the additional Customs & VAT. A fine looking motor, good luck in your pursuit.

Realistically after all expenses that car is costing close to €7000. If your buying a car from NI theres discounts, no tax, no nct, sold as seen unless you get it transported all the way back to the garage at your expense to be fixed.

Just for reference, this is a year newer and I’m sure you’d get it for €6,500 after negotiating

Or this one for €5k after negotiating. Same year as the one in NI, but its €2000 less and no importing hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

That car has actually popped into my search. I'll post on the other thread when I know what finances are available to me.

In fairness, the OP linked car is a far nicer motor in white and a better spec, looking mint. Nearer €6500 than €7000 all in. The red one you linked has nct out almost 2 yrs so questionable when it’s been in a ‘houseful of engineers’ for so long. And the black one just looks meh. White colour combo in that model is superb.

Fair enough, I didn’t notice the NCT, but the car OP is buying will need an NCT too remember. Don’t get me wrong, the one OP linked is gorgeous, but thats just because its white and has a different set of wheels. There are a few similar ones for sale here which could be got for around €6k.

I’m just pointing out that there are no savings importing that car, and it will probably work out more expensive. It will be close to €7,000 after all costs. Include transport, vrt, reg plates, tax, nct, repairs, re test, exchange rate, etc. And if Revenue decide to do a manual valuation you will be paying a lot more than just €885 VRT.

And I just realised the one up North has 147,000 miles, which is very high for a TSI.

Is it me or is the vRT calculator on the revenue site a piece of crap?

Identified a NI car 192 reg, never been anywhere but NI, so no duty/customs/vat, just vrt and nox.

First issue is the tax book says it is a 4 door (has 5 doors inc boot) but the only 4 door option is 190bhp and this is a 150bhp

Go back and enter details under 5 door and car pops up, exact model.

I have pic of log book and Co2 is listed at 119 g/km, which according to all revenue and vrt sites should be calculated at 16% of OMSP, but vrt calculator says it is 20%?

Is there a difference between co2 on 192 ni tax cert and the WLTP CO2 emissions that comes in a 139 on the calculator or how do you find conversion rate etc or how do you get the wltp rate for a vehicle?

Yes there is a conversion from old style emissions figures to the wltp and it will always be higher under wltp.

The models are abit hit and miss but you can usually get very close or eventually find exact model.

Not sure when wltp came in but it would have been fairly close to 2019 / 2020.

The conversion is all over google.

• Advertisement

Got sorted with similar car and spec down south, just not worth the hassle anymore.

I found 3 different versions of the supposed same WLTP conversion table, but eventually got talking to a dealer who layed it out for me.....he imports on regular basis and since vrt has moved to nct the system has become more erratic. Vrts all over the place, less reliable estimates from the calculator and no much success on appeals, his advice was unless it cant be got here at a similar or near enough price then not worth the hassle, unless you are in the trade and even then has its moments.

Almost every car I looked at in the north was an english car, not a NI car. Plenty of lads selling post Brexit English cars, saying there will be no further charges, but could not explain why there was no Tax or vat to be paid, a nasty surprise for someone when that bill comes in.

To be honest, anyone who would buy a car in NI having not done their research wouldn't get any pity from me.

Used cars sales people will tell you black is white to get a sale done. Everything out of their mouth is said for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Sorry, similar question here, just want to be 100% certain... Looking at 2020 EVs in NI.

In that case i understand no vat, no vrt, no customs duty?

What if it was a post Brexit reg, but in NI since new, understand there's also no vat, vrt or customs duty.

Sorry I'm very confused with all this.

My understanding is no VRT on electric.

No vat or customs pre 2021, but will apply after that date.

To be honest I did a lot of looking online and decided it is no longer worth it. Top it off with that horrendous revenue VRT calculator, which can have thousands in differences of models. I have a friend in the business who imports from Japan and since the VRT moved to the nct offices he said it has become near impossible to deal with, he said unless you are saving near 3000 euros then not to bother, as its a bit of a lottery there now.

You will also do well to get NI reg cars, almost all cars I looked at were UK mainland cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Yeah, i'll keep looking in case i find a crazy bargain, but there doesnt seem to be much there. The only thing with EVs at least is no VRT so at least don't have to deal with that VRT calculator... I did have a look at it and my head nearly exploded!

Yeah the calculator is a disaster, you can try https://www.motorcheck.ie/vrt-calculator/

Another checked, but not the official one and half the time does not recognise NI regs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

How does motor tax work on a car brought in from 2021? Is it under the new CO2 rules? A friend has bought a 2013 car that was brought in in 2022 with 161g so 600 tax on the disc, but by my reckoning it should be 420 according to the below doc.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/90909/?page=null

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi all,

im completely new to buying anything from the north. I’m looking to buy a Ford Ranger. Is it more cost effective to buy up north. Let’s say I spend 20,000 pound on one plus vat. I’m VAT registered here in the republic. What hidden charges am I facing or is it even worth my time looking up north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyone?

Advertisement