Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,695 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But what has this to do with my questions? Did William and team orchestrate these articles?

there are people on the street commenting negatively about Harry’s tales, an MP, just the general population..

we’re surely not saying this is down to William and his team, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Valentine Low had a tweet from a palace insider to the Times.

It's even been tiresome following this shitshow for the past few days. Imagine what it must have been like working with them. No wonder 12 staff and 4 nannies left in the space of six months. No wonder William might have lost his **** with Harry.

• It's a remarkable cultural institution when you think about it. A dysfunctional family, given pretend titles as figure heads of state but without any legal powers, forced to live in a set of giant draughty castles, made to wear kilts and walk around in circles on windy days, and to have endless high drama scandals, all to drive TV and newspaper sales and and tourism revenue...

Yet they command some kind of unquestioned respect all for no particular reason, except they are who they are. Bizarre really in 2023.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

He really did want them to issue a statement about every single little thing like apparently they should have defended Meghan when she was criticised for wearing ripped jeans

"But after negative press and online trolls claimed that Markle wasn’t dressed appropriately for a royal girlfriend, the prince thought something more could’ve been done. 

“A single declaration in defense of Meg would have been enough to make a tremendous difference,” he wrote, referring to the online hate Markle had received at the time." https://pagesix.com/2023/01/06/prince-harry-claims-palace-approved-meghan-markles-ripped-jeans/

Everything hes saying now is showing what a great job the palace did for all those years to project and image of a carefree fun Harry when in reality hes so incredibly bitter about the very lucky hand he was dealt in life.

• Advertisement

Complaining about having a smaller room than his older brother with a poorer view while living in a luxury property as a Prince and then later as an adult complaining when his step mother turned his old room into a dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

It's comparing apples and oranges. Harry is completely over sharing and it's rather uncouth and very insulting to the woman involved. I have no issue with the where (if a field is your thing have at it). It is the demeaning way he described it. Charles' tampon remark, Fergie's toe sucking, Kate topless were all private moments that they didn't willingly share. While harry complains about wanting privacy, yet he tells the world about his dick, his first time etc etc. Did anybody really need to know about his being circumcised? And if he did want to tell everyone ok fair enough but he said William was too (not ok to share his brothers information).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's pathetic and bitter, I'd say if he was the older brother he'd be happy with his lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yes. William's spin team brief the press and Camilla lunches with Piers Morgan & co. Will's right hand man Knauf is a pal of Dan Wooton of Daily Mail. They were both in university in NZ together. Knauf hired Robbie Williams ex-nanny as Meghan's personal assistant who hadn't a clue and who used to phone one of the royal experts in the Mail and ask her what she should do. She was fired because she was a nanny who was not trained to be a PA and had no experience. And William's right hand had hired her. She is gone back to nannying now.

The man in the street's opinion are formed by the press they read, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

His boasting of killing so many people is again making headlines around the world. He appeared to keep count how many lives he ended.

The rest of the stuff is complete rubbish that only Royal fans seem to be interested in England.

• Advertisement

This nanny seems to have been very happy with them. She says that they were hands on parents and Meghan's mother was with them for the first month when she was employed when her mother went back to the States.

Why. You think that Harry wasn't already on the Taliban's radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Diana never murdered anyone so she was able to stay popular.

Harry's murderous admission will irritate the do gooder twitter/outraged section who have already seemed to have abandoned him after this revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 studefromtrinners

Harry is like a guy who is in rehab, throwing all his dirty linen out on the floor, telling war stories and humble bragging about how he's a victim in a room full of untrustworthy stranger's. I'd say half of the book is lie's and the other half is fantacy .

Obviously he hasn't good people behind him, he's an absolute train wreck. He obviously has someone enabling his pain rather than getting him the help he needs.

One of the grounds men in the palace could do a better job at keeping him up to speed with reality rather than whomever enabling his absolute appetite for self destruction.

Poor guy, he's lost now.

Keeping Mummys hair by his bedside which helped them conceive. A good omen when Meghan started singing to seals who sang back.

It gets weirder and weirder.

• Personally, I have very little interest in reading about the Royal Family, but it's an interesting social and cultural phenomenon in our nearest neighbouring country, even if the whole the whole thing is a bizarre anachronism, but it is just fascinating to see how rapidly it appears to be unraveling.

'The Queen' had a rather remarkable persona and general public image, which largely came about because she arrived into the job almost like fairytale princess image, sweeping in a new age after the grim times of WWII.

Her domestic and international image was very carefully managed and it was projected symbolically, turning her a nearly mythological figurehead who wasn't really a person - just a hollow symbol. She never put a foot wrong, had a hair out of place, but she also never said anything other than making the odd, usually very safely bland, statement or speech.

She had no public opinions on anything nor did she ever speak or comment on anything at all really, other than through stilted, scripted, extremely safe speeches someone else wrote for her and it got as weird as people trying to interpret political opinions based on her choice of hat!

So she ended up both very deliberately and somewhat accidentally symbolising modernity in the 1950s and 60s, and as she aged was quite deliberately reinvented as this national grandmother and national treasure figure, who was always beyond reproach and above all the tabloid scandals that were going on around her in the immediate family and hangers on.

She's been replaced by people who are all involved in that circus of scandal, and everyone from Charles down seems to have complicated public personas and plenty of salacious and scandalous press coverage going back for decades. The persona of the flawless monarch died with her and it will never be repeated. It was a fluke of timing and circumstance.

From what I can see British royalty will likely just fade into the background and become a lot more downscaled. The days of the 20th century pomp and ceremony really were an anachronism anyway and now they seem to be just leaning into full scale tabloid / reality tv mode.

In my view it's just an inevitable and probably a healthy collapse of a bygone institution that really should never have grown to this ludicrous scale in the first place. If they want to preserve a constitutional monarchy, that's up to them, but I would suspect it'll be on a far more low key scale in 10-20 years time. I'd also see a lot more countries opting to gently drop the British monarch as their head of state. That era's fading very fast.

As for Harry and Meghan, they seem alright - probably over sharing, but does anyone really care? They'll be celebrities like the rest of them and I'm sure they'll probably make a decent go at it.

I just find the whole thing a bit like watching reality TV. The institution is now basically state funded entertainment. It's got higher production values than Big Brother though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good article from the Beeb trying to assess whether leaks from Harry's book are good or bad for its sales. On balance, the industry experts interviewed think it is good for its prospects - the leaks happened near enough to its launch date and they suspect it might even boost its sales further than what would have happened.

• The 'leaks' are just classic PR by the book's publicists and they are doing a brilliant job of drumming it up. I'd say the print and digital copies will fly off the shelves and servers. You couldn't pay for publicity like this. Whether it's good / bad for the people at the centre of it all is somewhat besides the point if your aim is to sell books.

They have cameras that record what happens on the Apache, so I'd imagine the army wants to know anyway how effective they are! You can look up youtube to see how Apache helicopers attack. Incredible daring to be on one of those.

Not sure he is boasting (from New York Times).

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/world/europe/prince-harry-memoir-afghanistan.html

Prince Harry describes the people he says he killed as “chess pieces taken off the board, bad guys eliminated before they kill good guys,” according to a translation by the BBC, which obtained a copy of the book after it was mistakenly released early in Spain. The statistic, he wrote, did not fill him with pride, nor did it “make me ashamed.”

“You can’t kill people if you see them as people,” he wrote. “They trained me to ‘other’ them, and they trained me well.”

Edit: This is rather interesting. Just read the article on Guardian website where Tim Collins and various other ex-army brass say that he should not have said what he has said. In the quotess of what he said, unlike the New York Times, they left out the part where he said "“They trained me to ‘other’ them, and they trained me well.”

Surprised at the Guardian. I'd imagine the Army brass will not be happy about that quote.

Post edited by jm08 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

What a 142 carat plonker he truly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think Harry is seriously messed up. He comes from a bizarre family that set him apart from his peers as a child, his parents had a very turbulent marriage and divorce that played out in the tabloids, his father's side don't seem to be particularly warm people and his mother died when he was a child.

His mother was troubled and went to psychics and alternative therapists, Harry went to a psychic and seems to believe in some weird spiritual woowoo - his mother's hair beside the bed helped Meghan conceive, the singing seals etc which he sees as signs.

I wonder is he really angry that the palace didn't help Meghan, or is he angry that the palace didn't help Harry? If he divorces he'll be a very lost, lonely man.

Aw cool, I forgot there was a time caveat on Thead. Oh my days. And I've just heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

…At this point, I’m actually finding asking the question, so why did Harry include such titillation in his book, far more interesting, than the actual titillation itself. Another question I find myself asking is (yes I know Im a sad case) 😀, what content will his next books cover?

My thinking is:

1. He knows that no one else in the RF will write such a book but people outside the RF have, and will continue to do so- so it makes sense to him, to cover every angle possible, especially those areas of that could be held against him in such books- drugs, sex, arguments,, the press, his family etc and give his story. I think he’s very much ticked that box in spades. A tell-all book about Harry will never garner much interest after this book.
    2. He has grown to hate the institution and what it has done to him- his comments on his brother , no less the title of the book, shows that he has huge resentment built up- dedicating the book to his mother but not his Father or Brother illustrates this point completely- there’s absolutely no dispute there. This book is his way of saying, I’m not part of this institution any more. I’m now Harry the celebrity, the world citizen, my own brand etc In his mind, he had to denigrate the institution he came from, if he was to be free from it. He’s done that in spades also.

So, what will the content of his next books be, considering he’s supposed to have a 3-4 book deal here.

Well firstly, he’s in pole position, to continue to write about his wider family - his uncles and aunt, and spill some beans on them or at the very least talk about the inner workings of royal family life in a general sense- I wouldn’t discount this considering the level of intimacy and private moments he’s already shared about his family to date. And of course, we know he’s totally resentful of the RF and what it represents, so why not?

After that, I haven’t a clue what Harry could possibly write about, that would sell or at least generate similar levels of interest in the media that this book has- there is nothing Harry is expert in, other than being Harry- that’s it- he’s come from a privileged upbringing, had servants at his beck and call and he’s not even 40 yet- what could he possibly educate us on that would merit a book series?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think you’re right on the future of the monarchy- with Charles’ chequered personal life he was never going to be the monarch his mother was- things were kept together with Liz2 in place- with her gone, interest is waning fast.

Leaving Harry aside, I’d say even some of the more senior royals are going, “why should I bother anymore, what’s the point of it all? “😀

William and Kate are obviously the dutiful next heirs- I don’t see much boat rocking with them - now if Harry and Meaghan were next in line, that would be entertainment 😛

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Prince Harry has said "I would like to get my father back, I would like to have my brother back," in a trailer for an interview ahead of the release of his upcoming memoirs

≠=======

Like that is ever going to happen after him airing his shite-stained cacks like this....

How could he actually come out with that knowing what he was releasing?

Although he's taking it easier on "the king" than "the next king"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,145 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, poor Taliban. Lovely bunch. Half time entertainment was a bit much though.

• Advertisement

So what will he write about next? My guess is that he will write extensively about the media (British in paritcular) because that is what his crusade is now. He has 11 court cases coming up against various UK publications. This could be quite useful to society because most journalists who usually write these kind of books don't touch this subject because they might never get a job again if they did.

Advertisement