Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@downcow I want to start my post by thanking you for providing some insight into the positions held by the Unionist side of things. I'm from a staunchly catholic family and genuinely my opportunities to interact and discuss these issues with the Unionist side of the state has been non existent. So for the insights you provide and simply continuing to post here on these topics I want to thank you. Genuinely.

Now, all that said, and this is a bit longwinded but historically accurate context is very important.

I'm not sure you understand the weight and inaccuracy of how you are classing the effects of what happened 100 years ago vs now. The world was a different place then. Europe was a land of monarchs and empires. Democratic representation was few and far between, and the rule of the monarch was varying levels of autocratic. The treaty signed and applied in the early 20's was before one war (Irish civil war) , during one war (WW1), and after one insurrection/uprising (Easter Rising). The years of control from the act of Union of 1801 to 1921 were allowed by the Irish parliament in the 1700's where representation was limited to land owning protestants. That parliament was put in place following centuries of waxing and waning levels of British influence in Ireland since the year 1167. The first monarch that reasonably (by extent of control) claimed the title of King of Ireland was Henry VIII. This was after the British had abolished the native Irish clan and monarch system centuries earlier. So, after hundreds of years of gradual erosion of rights and representation of the native Irish population, the demographics of the voters for the act of union of 1801 in Ireland were largely resettled british nobility or their descendants. All of which were land owners.

Getting to 1921, the treaty which was signed was the only option to prevent further British aggression in Ireland. The Irish and the Germans were close to being on the same side in WW1 (we got lots of arms and support from Germany) and this would likely have been used as an excuse for a British offense in Ireland. There was no other choice but to accept the terms as offered. The terms were dictated by the British and no negotiation was offered. The 1921 partition split the erstwhile Irish state -which was part of the United Kingdom of GB and Ireland since 1801 - into two parts. The North and the South. Both parliaments had the option to accept or opt out and remain part of the aforementioned UK. The southern "Free State" after a bloody civil war voted to accept the treaty by a small margin. The northern statelet (at that time) voted out in December 1921 via a famous letter from the protestant only parliament to the King. So, yet again, you have a situation where decisions were made for the island of Ireland without the direct consent of the native Irish. It could actually be argued that the creating of an NI state was the first act of Gerrymandering on this island, to artificially create a part of the country where Protestant Unionists were in the majority - whilst this demographic was not in a majority on the whole island, which, if independence was allowed 50 years later or 100 years later, would not have taken place in such a way.

Now. Fast forward 100 years (skipping years of gerrymandering, civil rights abuses and lack of minority representation) and we have what may seem an ostensibly similar situation in reverse. However in this instance, the (1921 British created) state of NI has voted in a representative election where all citizens have a fair vote, and voted against Brexit in its entirety. Yet again however this vote was ignored and the statelet was taken* out of the eu against the direct consent of its residents at the behest of the British. The DUP particularly have emerged as consistently anti treaty and are now speaking of revisiting the GFA - another agreement which received majority votes in NI and ROI - unless the withdrawal agreement which the British asked for is now unilaterally revoked. The DUP are not even the majority party in the North and certainly do not hold a majority of the votes (they may have held a plurality or may again do so, but not the outright majority). So they can in no way claim to speak for the majority of residents in NI.

Apologies for the long post but I think historical accuracy is key to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the most pertinent point in your post is that you shouldn't compare what happened 100 years ago versus now. Northern Ireland, as an entity, is now older than many members of the European Union. It has grown distinct from the South, and even in the last year, with the South accepting 70,000 Ukrainians and many more immigrants, the differences are growing.

How do you define a native to this island? British people who came across in the 1600s must surely be native British on this island by now?

You cannot be native British by virtue of being born on the island of Ireland, NI or otherwise. Britain is the landmass encompassing England Wales and Scotland. This is why the name of the current UK is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The equivalence between British and Unionist only exists on the landmass of Britain.

If you are born on the island of Ireland, you are by birth either Irish with nationalist/republican views , Irish and unionist, or Irish and agnostic (eg children of first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe for example like you mentioned, may not have strong leanings either way). It never ceases to amaze me however, the amount of people on the unionist side that aspire to a union that they do not know the correct nomenclature for.

Nationalists like myself may not like the fact that unionists are indeed by this point native, like you said, they are here 400 years after the plantations at this point. It is true that if someone lives in the island of Ireland for 400 years of family history they are natives by birth. Sure, half of my lineage isnt even here that long, my mother's side are Lutherans from Germany & Prussia. I'd never claim to be German though. Merely an Irishman proud of my German heritage.

Sorry, but the Good Friday Agreement recognised the right of people born on part of this island to be British. That ship has sailed, you can no longer claim that people born on this island are Irish.

It never ceases to amaze me how few people on both sides understand how this was a game-changer. We are no longer Ireland of the Irish, we are Ireland of the Irish and British.

The same GFA that a lot of unionists seem to want to get rid of?

We recognise people's right to identify as. This doesnt make it correct. Same as people in America identifying as Irish when their family moved there 300 years ago. It's incorrect.

Come on, I'm really doing my best here to remove inherent bias on my part and contribute to an open discussion. As I mentioned to Downcow earlier I really feel like I and we all can learn best from this type of discussion but bringing inaccuracy in doesnt help.

• Advertisement

I am pointing out your inherent bias. People like Downcow believe that they are British, born in Ireland. The GFA recognises that right, that makes it correct, because that was a democratically accepted agreement, it is just that nationalists like yourselves have failed to grasp the longer-term implications of that.

Claiming that something in the GFA is incorrect is fundamentally undemocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I have said on here many times that the dup made a complete mess of this. If I haven’t said already then let me be clear that the Uk have made a mess of it as well. They were both outmanoeuvred by the eu egged on by the Irish government.

I have little love for either the dup or the Uk government.

but that’s all history. I didn’t vote for brexit either but that’s also history. Unionists are directing their anger towards the eu and the Irish gov because they are the ones standing in the way of sensible solutions. Leo has influence in this. He has now said the eu made mistakes, checks are too strict. He has said that the extension of grace periods have caused no proble. But up until this week he sounded like some people on here ie there can be no change. Why? Because the eu and Irish government are bloody-minded. Thankfully that is shifting, slowly

thanks. Most of that could be regarded as accurate, but the republican side of the story. It is very selective eg no unionist would ever write this “Now. Fast forward 100 years (skipping years of gerrymandering, civil rights abuses and lack of minority representation) and we have what may seem an ostensibly similar situation in reverse”. It is so glaring in its on-sidedness. How could you fail to notice that for more than 30% of that period there was a vicious sectarian onslaught waged by the Ira. They killed as many in this wee place in living memory as your total deaths in the Irish civil war over the entire island. But I get it, we are looking at this from different places.

you say “Getting to 1921, the treaty which was signed was the only option to prevent further British aggression in Ireland.” I could make exactly the same argument as to why the gfa was signed ie the only option to prevent further slaughter by the Ira and Uvf. In fact it could probably be said fo most peace agreements around the world. So take ownership of the fact that your government agreed for Northern Ireland to remain in the Uk while you guys headed off to sail your own ship

Here we go again. So I am not British!

my passport says I am British, the gfa says I am British. If I get in trouble abroad the only consulate that will help me is the British one.

catch yourself on.

no I don’t want to open this debate again but I think you will find everyone born in ni is British but they can then self select to also be Irish if they wish.

what was it you said a few posts ago about context and accuracy

• Advertisement

Are you not the one getting rid of the gfa by saying that I am not British?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have said on here many times that the dup made a complete mess of this. If I haven’t said already then let me be clear that the Uk have made a mess of it as well. They were both outmanoeuvred by the eu egged on by the Irish government.

They weren't outmanouvred by the EU. It isn't a war so drop that terminology. What happened was that a bunch of incompetents (HMG) egged on by a bunch of bigoted incompetents (the DUP) made the decision to leave a wealthy trading bloc thinking that there would be no impact.

The EU provided ample opportunity to HMG to reduce the fallout from leaving. This was opposed. HMG didn't want extensions. HMG wanter to trigger Art 50 ASAP. The whole process has been one massive clusterf**k by HMG and the worst thing about it is that it was all done to placate a group of Tory MPs who were against the EU and even that failed.

One thing that you are continuing to fail to grasp is that there is no "EU egged on by the Irish government", They are both part of the same thing. You are resorting to the shite headlines from the likes of the Sun by trying to make them out to be different.

I have little love for either the dup or the Uk government.

...and yet you have told us that you intend to vote for the DUP. That makes absolutely no sense.

but that’s all history. I didn’t vote for brexit either but that’s also history. Unionists are directing their anger towards the eu and the Irish gov because they are the ones standing in the way of sensible solutions. Leo has influence in this. He has now said the eu made mistakes, checks are too strict. He has said that the extension of grace periods have caused no proble. But up until this week he sounded like some people on here ie there can be no change. Why? Because the eu and Irish government are bloody-minded. Thankfully that is shifting, slowly

Unionists are directing their anger towards the EU because it is easier to claim that the EU is the monster rather than themselves who allowed the clusterf**k to take place, dragging the people of NI out of the union against their will. If unionist MPs, especially those from the DUP, were to claim that it was all actually the fault of HMG and encouraged by themselves, what would happen?

The reality is that the EU, the Irish government, Leo or anyone else is not standing in the way of sensible solutions. There is only one solution and this was voted in by the British government, followred by that government getting a massive election win. The DUP described the solution as a serious and sensible way forward. Annother reason that I know that this is the only solution is that neither HMG nor the unionists have actually provided a sensible solution since then.

Your claim that the EU is "dragging the people of NI out of the union against their will" is just laughable. Remind me again what way the people of NI voted in the Brexit referendum. Remind me again what the UK courts have ruled on several occasions regarding NI's place within the union? Why is it the EU's problem to resolve something that is an issue internally to the UK? Why is it the Irish government's to deal with? Why are you not telling us that HMG should fix it?

As for Leo's comments regarding change, I've already told you several times that you have taken these up incorrectly. Not sure why I need to keep repeating myself on this.

Finally your comment that "the eu and Irish government are bloody-minded" - seriously? Coming from someone who willsupport the DUP, this is laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I still don't fully get a sense of the issues being faced by the regular citizens of Northern Ireland from that post, for say the neutral citizen who doesn't care about whether NI stays in the UK or becomes a part of a United Ireland, for example an immigrant with no political leanings either way.

You say the problem is lack of access to goods from GB.

The examples about buying lights for under your counter and buying a battery charger, assuming you are saying that GB retailers are refusing to sell to NI, why can't they be sourced from anywhere other than GB? Are you saying that Irish retailers won't deliver to NI, and EU retailers won't deliver to NI? Or that it would be cost prohibitive, or is it a technical issue that the parts wouldn't be compatible? (Maybe the type of British appliances don't work with EU standards or something?).

For that matter, why isn't it being delivered to NI, is it GB retailers themselves deciding they don't want to, or is there a law denying them access to the NI market, and what specifically is the law in question do you know? If the retailers are just saying they don't want to and don't have an actual reason, what difference would removing the NI Protocol make to that?

My feeling is that until someone can give me an example where the NI Protocol is responsible for denying the citizens of NI from getting products at a reasonable price, then there isn't actually any problem at all, and the GB part of the UK seems to perfectly happy with the current arrangement. If the Unionist parties went along whole-heartedly with the new arrangement then they would surely strengthen the Union, because there would be no possible reason for the status quo to be changed, the NI citizen has access to both markets to export, become more affluent, no land border to mess with trade with Irish trading partners, no conflict with Nationalists, everyone just getting on with things and everything would just settle down.

The single thing that will cause unrest in NI would be if the Unionist parties (perhaps it's only the DUP and a handful of independents) continue to block the other parties in the Assembly from forming a power-sharing executive.

At what point will the DUP give up their campaign on the NI Protocol? How long will it take of the UK government ignoring them before they will allow a NI executive to form? If they keep this up for years, will that achieve anything good for Northern Ireland, or perhaps would it actually give more reason for people to consider rejoining the rest of Ireland in a United Ireland?

one thing you are choosing to ignore. The dup welcomed the protocol and were on their way to implementing it, until the grassroots unionist people put the brakes on them. You ask when would the dup give up - probably tomorrow only the unionist people are holding them to task. They know now that they are finished if they implant the protocol. So you may stop blaming the dup for stormont talking shop. It’s the people

What do the people expect to achieve by having their political representatives refuse to form a power-sharing executive to get the day-to-day business done? That business has absolutely nothing to do with the UK government’s agreements with the EU.

Everybody knows that the UK government is finished with Brexit, it’s over, done, nothing more will change. The British politicians have packed up the tent and gone home.

Now what the Unionist people that vote for the DUP and a few Independents want is to stop the NI assembly forming as a way of lashing back at the UK government for ignoring them.

That won’t help anyone in Northern Ireland, and it will not achieve anything.

The sooner there is another election the better, because I reckon it will be another stalemate and there will be another election again soon after that which will then create a huge pressure on the DUP to abandon this anti-protocol position. What’s stopping them from continuing to protest whilst allowing the Assembly to function? It will amount to nothing anyway, NI might as well have a functioning executive in the meantime. The longer it goes on the poorer NI will get and the more likely a dissatisfied public will vote for a United Ireland to get out of the deadlock.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Don’t agree at all.

firstly I am unaware of any impact on the lives of northern Irish people by there being no assembly. Maybe you can tell me a few?

the gfa promised that key decisions would require cross community support. The decision to put elements of our economy and rights under a foreign power is a fairly key decision. So hand this decision to the assembly and I am quite sure it will be reestablished in the morning and the outcome will be abided by by all unionist politicians and community. Simple. Don’t do that and the gfa is damaged irreparably in the eyes of unionists so will never be re established. It’s reasonable request.

polls say you are wrong about the election. They suggest those parties who are blocking the gfa will increase and uup will decrease. This keeps coming up here. Do you not realise that the dup were going soft on the protocol and the people insisted they strengthen their opposition. You fight here is not with the dup, it is with my community.

refusing to work the gfa is not lashing out at Uk gov only. Indeed I am not sure they care whether it is direct rule or devolved. The people of this island are the main beneficiaries of the gfa. In reality we are the people made promises to each other on how we would govern, respect each other’s identity, etc,etc. so if we are lashing out, then it is at the people who share this island with us who are not showing integrity to the peace process, including holding pictures of murder up in front of eu politicians to influence them to ignore unionist concerns.

You are putting blame on the Irish government for decisions absolutely entirely taken by the UK government. If your people refuse to recognise that fact then that’s their own doing, they are lying to themselves, the question is how long can they keep up the pretence before the obvious reality will be admitted openly.

The UK government have ignored the impractical position of a minority in NI and have agreed a deal with the EU that benefits GB and the majority of NI that aren’t hung up on identity politics.

Now you are being rediculous

the protocol is an agreement. Therefore responsibility lies with every group in that agreement. I have been clear about the responsibility of Uk and dup in this, so stop saying I am denying it. My entire community is disgusted with how the dup handled this mess, hence they cannot move as they will not be given another chance of they go soft on this.

the Irish played a smart game, if you take a short term view, with their claims that checks anywhere other than inside Uk would restart the violent conflict. But that has only encouraged loyalists to us same tactic.

as for you nonsense that it is only unionists who are into identity politics. This whole problem exists because of the identity politics played by the Irish re how checks at the international frontier would damage their sense of identity.

Now you are being ridiculous, if you can’t see that a sea border is a far better solution than an unworkable land border.

If the UK had the resources to maintain a land border they would have done so, but it is so impractical as to be impossible.

There already is a sea border so there is nothing to be changed except the documentation that the UK have within their power to sort out themselves.

You want to hold a majority of NI hostage to a minority that want totally impractical solutions put in place, at huge expense and a cost to existing trade within the EU.

It makes zero sense to erect a land border, economically and politically.

• Advertisement

I absolutely do not want a land checks and there is no need for them. There is though a land border which when you cross it you currency changes, tax regimes, language on road signs, road markings, speed limits, etc, etc, etc,etc.

uk have been clear it would cost them nothing as they would not be establishing physical checks on their frontier

Post edited by downcow on

There’s the problem then, there are only two possible solutions, one is a sea border and the other is a land border. There is no offer of a half-way land border, so the problem is unrealistic and impractical wishes of a minority in NI.

In terms of the entire UK, that minority becomes insignificant, so the UK government are never going to make a new agreement that doesn’t suit the majority of the UK.

So we are back to the root of the issue, a minority of NI have no real problems they can identify beyond their own government ignoring them and not helping NI with optimising the necessary documentation to speed things up and remove nuisance red tape.

The only tool they have to lash out at the UK government is to prevent the NI Assembly from forming a power-sharing executive to distribute funds available to them that will not be used otherwise.

The phrase cutting off their nose to spite their face comes to mind, as well as the phrase toddlers throwing their toys out of their pram to get attention.

Jack even Leo is starting to see a simple solution. He has just said that the grace periods have presented no real issues. So who’s agenda is it to try and establish these unessessary checks on the Irish Sea?

….and I say again, unionists are not lashing out at our own government. If we are lashing out it is at those who are determined to create difficulties for ni/gb trade

The UK government is the only one that can do anything about it.

They would have to negotiate with the EU to change anything, and this government has no intention of negotiating anymore.

During the Brexit negotiations the EU were perfectly entitled to make whatever demands they wanted, it was up to the UK government to agree or negotiate an alternative. As it happens, the UK government agreed with the EU’s demands because it suited them, and they didn’t care about the minority in NI that wouldn’t like it.

Ah would you ever stop with this crap! You support the party that helped create this mess yet you consistently blame external entities.

It's no wonder unionism is doomed with intransigence like this!

So tell me this. What do you think would happen if it became evident that the peace will collapse if the derogation of sovereignty that unionists feel is not addressed?

I am not saying it will or could, that’s a different question.

did the eu mean it when it said it would defend the peace in ni? And if so, would they stand back and refuse to negotiate an evolution of the protocol?

The EU will negotiate if the UK will negotiate, the problem for the minority in NI that don’t like the idea of the protocol is that they have to convince the UK government to go and negotiate, which means offer concessions and make more promises, which the current UK government have no motivation to do.

So if there is unrest within the minority of NI that want the NI protocol changed or removed, and they decide to start a campaign of vandalism, (or are you suggesting they would resort to bombing things?) then it will be the responsibility of the UK government to deal with it. What do you expect the EU to do about it?

So you feel that if peace was at risk that the eu would use the situation to gain further promises from the Uk. That’s quite sad but probably realistic based on previous.

yes it may be too much to expect the eu and Uk to sit down and see what they can do to support peace in ni without eu wanting to punish Uk for daring to leave

As you've been told before, you should stop reading the pro-Brexit red-tops because your allegations of the EU punishing the UK are completely without foundation and simply jingoistic nonsense.

The UK asked for a deal and got it. If you don't like it, take it up with them but stop expecting the EU to make unilatwral changes to an international agreement, especially when HMG aren't negotiating for those changes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nearly 7 years since brexit and a sequence of self inflicted chaos; reading a serious attempt to talk about "EU punishment" is utter nonsense of the highest order and asks credibility of anyone claiming it.

What next. "They need us more than we need them" logic gets trotted out again is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement