Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roderic O’G: Transgender issues added to primary curriculum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is it really any better than telling them that they could transform into something else in their sleep??

As I said, there is no easy way to explain this to a child in an age appropriate way and be faithful to all the facts - because the hard reality is those facts are not age appropriate for children.

That's why it should be left up to parents to explain this as they are the best assessors of a child's maturity. Not every child learns the truth about Santa at the same age - so some blanket dictat from government that this must be taught in X primary class is inappropriate - all to appease a vocal lobby group.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guess_Who threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

@Wibbs in response to the link to a study you posted earlier where they used a very small sample size of 20 gay and 20 straight participants in 2008; this more recent evaluation of a number of studies says;

...and this is the important part esp the bit I've bolded;

Dr. Eliot and her collaborators -- fourth-year Chicago Medical School students Adnan Ahmed, Hiba Khan and Julie Patel -- conducted a meta-synthesis of three decades of research, assimilating hundreds of the largest and most highly-cited brain imaging studies addressing 13 distinct measures of alleged sex difference. For nearly every measure, they found almost no differences that were widely reproduced across studies, even those involving thousands of participants. For example, the volume or thickness of specific regions in the cerebral cortex is often reported to differ between men and women. However, the meta-synthesis shows that the regions identified differ enormously between studies.

In other words the difference in gay and starlight brains as may be found in some studies is totally inconclusive. This is why I said earlier I believe that scientists will never find a trans or gay brain because whenever they do find some difference in a study it is not replicated across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What? You have decided all teachers are not equipped to teach about trans issues?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well unless all teachers have all been enrolled in a nationwide programme that I haven't heard about to learn about trans issues its a fair assumption.

Are you saying all teachers are equipped to teach kids about trans issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You don't seem to have a very high level of repset for trained professionals who spend several years qualifying and training and who;s very job it is to explain these concepts to kids - also how do you know exactly that they are 'not equipped to be educating small kids on transgneder issues'?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This is just nonsense. Teachers teach all sorts of things that dont have specific nationwide programmes for all teachers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I suggest the state gives via schools recommend home reading to parents and the parents can decide if they wish to convey this to their children or not. This would include not just sex/sexuality issues but behavioural recommendations as well such as the consequences of bullying and drug taking for example. Take it totally out of the classroom.

This would somewhat avoid accusations of indoctrination and take pressure off school teachers.

Teachers teach things they learned in school and in real life.

Teachers did not learn about being trans in school and I would wager the vast majority have never had a conversation with one.

You please stop with your nonsense and explain to me how Teachers are qualified to teach kids on something they know very little if anything about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What is your vision of what teachers should be teaching 4 to 12 year old kids and how much time in an 8 year educational setting should be spent on educating kids on transgender issues?

• Advertisement

Those summer courses, and in service days tend to 'upskill' or add to existing skills of teachers.

If there is to be a place on the curriculum for this topic I would expect that it would very clearly laid out and based on the relevant science. Or better still left off the curriculum and left to the people who know best for their kids.

Well, that logic would rule out most parents from teacing their kids either. I'd imagine - based on common sense - that any training would involve listening to and instruction from people directly involved and with direct experience.

Explain to me why I need to have a "vision" in order to have an opinion on the subject or to point out the lack of respect for teachers in the previous poster's argument?

Point 1.

Teachers jobs - currently - are not to train transgender concepts to kids specificilly. It's not part of any curriculum in any way, shape or form.

Point 2.

Your vision of what "Transgender Concepts" are, and what they would look like in a curriculum/how much time should be spent on them in an 8 year educational cycle are very relevant (in my opinion) - who should be involved in coming up with this curriculum and who should be involved in upskilling teachers in it?

(I appreciate another poster has given me an idea of what their vision is for this earlier in the thread and from what I can tell it amounted to a ten minute lesson over the course of a 8 year timeframe)

Point 3.

You don't need to have a vision to point out anything to be fair. There's a lack of respect from certain posters about certain times towards other posters, LGBTQ+ people, teachers, parents, kids and probably a few more groups. I don't think pointing it out so much actually adds anything to the discussion at all but ok - fair enough.

They can do upskill themselves in it easily enough. UL provide an elearning resource for example and there are many courses and resources.

Theres many other resources available

Terry Pratchet

1 - Now is this opinoin or statement of fact? Either way, what's it based on?

2 - THAT'S what you mean by viison...? In that case, one or two afternoons a week to fifth/sixth class students concerning different aspects of famliies and gender identities. There was a teacher posting several pages back and that's pretty much what they said happened.

If that's not what you meant - my apologies - but again: you'll have to clarify what you mean.

3 - The lack of respect comes from people telling me that they know more about what teaching entails about transgedner topics than teachers or people difrectly involved with transgender topics themselves, a la the poster I was replying to originally. Also, people telling me that a woman can't be a man scientifically or legally when science is offering treatments and politics is accepting them legally. I've literally had someone say to me (in a different thread) that they didn't "give a ****" what science said. At which point, we're in creationist/flat earth territory. And that might be disrespectful, but if someone is going to ignore science then it's genuinely difficult for me to respect someone with that attitude and calling it "logic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i reckon study in particle physics should also be introduced cos 1 in a 100000 might get it

But why would they do it, they are very unlikely to teach a transgender pupil.

It is a massive waste of time and resources.

I would be 100% in agreement this should be done on a case by case basis if the situation arises in a school.

Teachers are in no way qualified to teach this on a countrywide scale and neither should they be considering the tiny percentage of trans people in ireland.

Deal with on a case by basis when it occurs and allow parents to teach it if and when they think its appropriate to have a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Arguably the best comment for a long time,

used to be that when adults discussed sexuality with CHILDREN, they were seen as creepy … at best

There's quite a lot that happened in the past that is no cause for celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This reminds me of "the talk" that you used to hear about on American TV all the time growing up. Most Irish kids and parents never had said talk and most of us ended up being fine. We discovered all these things along the way anyway. The same logic can apply to "acceptance", if it's to happen it will happen organically and not by the force of the education system.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

kids learn everything online now , it’s a parents job to ensure they determine what’s true and what’s not .

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I'm not a parent so this doesn't affect me directly.

However, as a middle aged man who has been through the irish education system, the way I see it is that there are certain subjects which are important and beneficial subjects which need to be prioritised apart form the absolute fundamentals. An example that I'd give would be computer skills. I understand that this may not always be possible but it is a subject that is relevant in todays world. Another example that i'd use is financial literacy. Again, maybe not at primary level but at some point it would help our kids to learn about something they will need and use for their entire lives.

By extension, there are subjects that are less beneficial to our kids and do not need to be prioritised to the same degree. Transgender issues is a perfect example of this. This does little to improve the quality of a childs education and has zero practical value. On this basis alone this idea should be knocked on the head. There are other areas that could be looked at here. Religion being a prime example. I'm not anti religion and would afford any transgender the respect they deserve but this is not a thing that primary school ages children need to be learning about in school.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

It based on FACT, based on the current primary school curriculum - no mention of transgenderism. Granted teachers will do their best if it comes up however it's not something that generally comes up in primary school.

One or two afternoons a week EVERY week? Really? There's no school in the country that are spending one or two afternoons a week teaching any one specific topic currently, let alone a topic that's not on the curriculum (transgenderism).

Most teachers (primary school) dont really know about transgender topics to the level you are talking about (unless it is something they have direct engagement with) - you would have to define exactly what is to be taught and how it is to be taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The govmt really wants to instruct the children on this 1/1000 matter - despite knowing that parents really really do NOT want that. 

It's just as well that all the big civic issues (housing, health, etc) are in such good shape and so our govmt has the ultimate luxury of directing such fine-grained care. Meantime the activists pretend not to notice that their supporters are primarily politicians (for cheap sound bites) and media (for shock stories) ;-)

I meant the bit about 'Teachers jobs - currently - are not to train transgender concepts to kids specificilly' being fact. Their job is to teach whatever syllabus the department deems apt. How do you know what training or experience they've had or will get??

The bit about it not being on the syllabus I self-evident given the topic of the conversation.

And no, not every week - just as a one-off. Maybe as part of a broader based social/community syllabus (sorry - I worded that wrong).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Milky Toast threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Ye really do believe that the Ireland that tried to ignore any subject that made them uncomfortable was a healthy environment to grow up in. Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Who said that? In regard to what I was speaking about, there was no need for anything to be said because people naturally learn these things eventually.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are depending on what source you believe, between 3500-4000 transgender people in Ireland. In life I’ve never personally encountered one.

There are 5.3 million million people approximately living here…

.075% of our population approximately are transgender , but we are adjusting the curriculum at significant cost, time and effort to educate what is a very insignificant issue nationally for the majority of citizens…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

People learning things naturally is not allowed. There's a top-down drive for this agenda and any waiting for organic support would decimate all those madey-uppy jobs. It'a all very democratic ya 'know!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement