Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunsynk (DEYE) Hybrid Inverters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭allinthehead

There's a firmware upgrade just released.

One of the issues I was having was that the power the inverter uses in standby was taken from the battery instead of the grid. Usually not a problem but if the battery was low it would continue to drain at about .04kwh, could fully drain the battery. I believe there're other changes too.

☀️

Just setup the system to run in a power cut, I already had a changeover switch for the genny so very straightforward to fit in parallel. Put a 20amp mcb in series with changeover just in case anyone forgets and try's to run too large a load. Will be nice to have the Genny for daytime and use the batteries when it gets too late to be running something so loud.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes Keith mentioned that was going to be the major change in the upcoming firmware.

Problem with Sunsynk though is that you are not allowed install firmware upgrades yourself, they do it for you and it is hard to get hold of them. I logged my issues with them a few weeks ago and they haven't really come back with any solutions and said my firmware is up to date. Well it now isn't.

You probably already know but an upgrade can be requested here.

https://www.sunsynk.org/up-grade

☀️

I just checked and I do have a later version than before, so maybe they did upgrade me already because of the issues I logged. I now have:

COMM: E426 

MCU: 3382 1515 

• Advertisement

That's a newer one alright, mine is Comm e424

MCU 3374

☀️

That's exactly the software that I had when the unit was new

And I can confirm that the version I have now COMM: E426 MCU: 3382 1515 does NOT fix the issue of being able to chose the charge speed

Contacted SunSynk support and have to say the responses were few and far between. Haven't heard back in 3 weeks now despite pressing them a few times, I know it was the holiday season, but that's not acceptable. Still having mad varying issues with the CT clamp reading and correcting for it with setting the grid trickle charge at anywhere between 0W and the max 500W doesn't seem to do much. Currently have it at 200W but I'm actually exporting 700W, change it to 500W and then I could be importing 200W. It makes no sense at all

Also changing the CT ratio from its default value of 2000 to say 1500 or 2500 doesn't seem to do anything

And the latest firmware made the Irish ESB grid setting disappear and I now use the "General Standard" setting for lack of a better option

Still also the function to decide how much power you charge or discharge at in system settings (schedule) doesn't work and the inverter ALWAYS charges and discharges at its max (this is the least of my worries)

Anyone else any similar experiences / suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you tried trimming any CT excess cable length, this has solved MyEnergi gooey CT readings for some

I got the firmware updated and the esb settings dissappeared here too. I have the trickle feed set to 30 watts and that sorts the exporting issue for me (confirmed in esb portal). My shelly under reads grid use by 30 watts although it's bang on with Pv production.

I'm probably missing something here but when you set your grid charge in the battery menu does it still charge at maximum?

In the system settings menu the power section is only for limiting power from the battery to load afaik. They should be able to sort that very easily though and the lack of responses from them is very disappointing. I did hear from a rep recently that they're merging with BPE (Badger Power Electronics) for their technical support among other things. Hopefully they'll do better after this.

Iirc you tried a different Ct clamp yes?

Are you exporting 16/17 kwh over a 24h period. If you're I would just demand kellihers swap it out for a new one as that's an obviously faulty inverter. If you go down this route first check the inverter with the Ct local to the inverter ie no joins or possible interference on a known load similar to your base load.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

I was actually looking at BPE inverters today and they seem to be the same hardware so might improve things.

@allinthehead on the ESB portal can you seem imports have been chasing ESB networks about this but not got a straight answer as to why no imports are showing.

I can now but I couldn't before I changed to a smart plan. Had smart meter but 24hr non smart plan.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

Thanks...I'm not on a smart plan just have a smart meter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had a BPE hybrid inverter, sold it on, lots of bugs like the inverter needed power off the battery to initialise which was no good when battery died on me and left without any PV

Maybe they saw my ranting here as they came back several times to me this afternoon after I posted that 😂

• they are going to try get the ESB grid setting back
    • they said what @allinthehead said about setting max charge / discharge in battery settings. But this conflicts with the way they have the time schedule in system mode. I don't want to limit max charging / discharging in general, I just want to limit charging to a certain level of power at certain time slots as per the schedule. Gentler on the battery and inverter to charge 9 hours at 2kW than 3.5 hours continuous at the max speed of 5kW. Why else would there be a power figure in the schedule?
    • CT clamp. At first I used the exact CT clamp in the inside consumer unit and extended cable that I had with my Sofar ME3000SP (and which worked perfectly - checked against myenergi app and checked with ammeter at the ESB outside box incomer, all 3 were perfect). Then when I got inaccurate results with the Sunsynk, I thought it must be the Sofar CT clamp, so I put in a completely new wire on the Sunsynk CT clamp into the ESB outside box incomer (still there now) with the same results

@allinthehead - "Are you exporting 16/17 kwh over a 24h period"

Ah no, most of the time it's only a few hundred watt. But it can be either way, importing or exporting. Right now actual is zero (so all good), with grid trickle set to 400W though, not so great

@slave - "Have you tried trimming any CT excess cable length, this has solved MyEnergi gooey CT readings for some"

Current cable doesn't really have much excess length. I've tidied it up alongside the house right next to other cables though and the current one isn't even twisted pair. Next step is to get a shielded twisted pair cable and roll it out all the way on its own, nowhere near any other cabling straight into the ESB outside box incomer and see how that goes. Problem here is that it is intermittant. Current setup sometimes works, sometimes it's out (either way)

You can select to limit grid charge only. It won't effect charging from panels or discharging.

☀️

I thought I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll try again this evening. Was set to the max of 115A for grid charging, turned that down to 80A now. I'll know at precisely 15kW o'clock if it works, will report back here in a couple hours 😀

Where I have 95A in that box is the charging rate from grid only.

☀️

It definitely works on mine, I had it derated to 75 amps as I wasn't happy with how warm my battery cables were getting while charging with the supplied 25mm2. Added another pair of 25mm2 in parallel and all good now.

☀️

• Advertisement

Yeah I know where it is, I already changed it to 80A when you suggested it earlier. Maybe of course it is working now in the newer firmware. You have the same firmware as me now I guess?

Bit surprised about your cables, how warm, just slightly warm to the touch as in 30-40C or really warm / hot as in 50-60C? What battery do you have? I upgraded yesterday from 20kWh to 30kWh, now 16S3P 200Ah CALB cells, another set on the way. Just got my new JK BMS out of the box today, playing with it with the goal to start using it when I rebuild my battery again next month as 16S4P for 40kWh

Ya same firmware as you now. You might let me know if they update with esb settings back.

They were almost hot to touch at 90 amps, mcb cover had condensation in it. Wasn't loose connections, double checked and torqued to reccomended amount.

I have 10kwh of Sunsynk byd batteries. Worked out almost as cheap for me as a 10kwh diy (I won't say how on a public forum😁). Another 5kwh planned hopefully in a couple of months. We're low usage here, only three of us and no Ev.

40kwh will be some capacity, no need to keep one eye on what everyone is up to. I was called the electricity police here prior to getting the batteries, couldn't get them on board using the power as it was being produced.

☀️

@allinthehead - "40kwh will be some capacity, no need to keep one eye on what everyone is up to"

Yeah that is exactly it. I've been biting my lips for months so I've avoided being called the electricity police. I'd rather spend another couple grand and have the big buffer. 5 of us here, all adult or teenage big users who wash lots of clothes and dry them exclusively in the dryer, lots of dishes, showers, hair dryers and straighteners and a big dog so needing daily hoovering too. And having a warm house. And I have 3 EVs (only 1 really in use a lot). And not just biting my lips but trying to micro manage to get as much of the above done with electricity, not fossils. And particularly not peak rate electricity. But this has taken far too much of my time. And with 20kWh I ran out nearly every day, no matter what I did.

That works now, I can limit the grid charging rate in the Sunsynk. In the battery settings, not in the schedule though where you'd expect it as power is a column there

Nice improvement as the 5kW almost immediately gets quite noisy as the fan in the Sunsynk goes on straight away. Nice and quite now (for now) at 4kW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Looking at picking up 5.5kw sunsynk myself this week. Would have preferred a larger version of it and according to sunsynk the 8kw version is approved here by the Esb but can't seem to source it anywhere.

Main questions are really how people are finding the balancing of the grid in terms of it reading correctly import/export figures. Have big issues with this with my father's sunsynk setup but his inverter is 30m from the CT and has long cable run so may be part of the issue there.

My existing setup has two inverters with the Solis set to max export of 6kw. The solis will then bring it's own generation down in order to make sure combined export never exceeds 6kw to grid. Just wondering how is sunsynk inverters at export control. I know you can set zero export but wondering if can set for example max 6 kw export?

Mine is behaving very well indeed, I've a grid trickle feed set of 30 watts otherwise it exports that amount and I confirmed this on the esb portal. My inverter is about 10 meters from the consumer unit.

I don't have any pv connected directly to it as It's Ac coupled only for now, charging batteries from microinverters and grid but in system mode you can set max sell power in watts.

☀️

Big issues with the CT here still, could be reading several hundred watts over or under. About 15m from the consumer unit. When I get around to it, I will roll out a new shielded twisted pair cable to see does it get better, but I suspect not. Never had these problems before with previous inverters, they all read spot on (as verified against each other and with ammeter in ESB outside box)

That is the same problem I'm seeing at my father's setup. Hard to sort it as can be several hundred under reported or over so it's a lot of grid daytime usage there.

Be very interested to hear how new shielded cable works out and if resolves it for new

• Advertisement

Advertisement