Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Poor performance again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Woeful. They should have just given them the 3rd and save us the hassle of a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Salah was fairly shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Didn’t realise a replay was even on the cards this season.

I think I’d rather we lost. We still have games to fit in with no clear openings as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Awful. Every bit as bad as the Bournemouth game. This team is broken, I'm not even sure a midfielder would improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pathetic. Honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Another away game into the calendar is far from ideal. Still rather that than being out I suppose.

Things still just fundamentally ‘wrong’ on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Awful result. And we didn't even deserve it.

Dire performance full of individual and collective errors.

Only fixing it is with new midfielders. And Diaz back. We miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It says a lot when the most impressive performance by a midfielder tonight was a 20 minute substitute appearance by a lad who is free to leave the club in a few months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Midfield and our set up is a joke

Looks like our coaching staff only know one way & when it's not working we are bad

Gakpo very tidy but looks slower than we are used to out wide

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Yup. He should have been booked despite the goal being disallowed. We have seen it before. Just another example of how poor this ref was/is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Id love to see what another manager would do with this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

And yet it is exactly what should have happened. This is like saying a clear red card challenge isn't a red card in the first minute cos its the 1st minute. Sentiment doesn't come into it, a yellow is a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'll admit not having seen a whole lot of games this season but I'm struggling to see what our attack is trying to do?

Nunez seems to be stuck out on the wing, laying balls back to Robertson to cross balls in for.....somebody?

And Salah doing to same on the other side with TAA, or trying to cut inside and ping shots into the far corner which he can't seem to do anymore.

All our midfielders are in a loose cluster about 30 yards from goal then passing the ball aimlessly to each other, and if one of them misses a tackle or gives the ball away then we are totally fcuked cos none of them can run anymore, and TAA and Robbo are up front crossing balls into an empty box.

Very disconcerting performance 😐

Sounds like they didn't actually have an angle that showed Nunes movement after the corner, so stick with the lino's judgement - which does seem to tally with the timing of when Nunes reenters frame.

Seems mad that they don't have extra fixed cameras purely for VAR that just look straight across the final third so you always have an angle to judge position from in a case like this.

I’m not sure there’s a coach in the world that can win titles with our current midfield options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It's not a Klopp out shout, would just love to see how they would set us up.

Whatever we are trying isn't working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I've a pain in my b**lox with rules but it hurts more watching us at the moment.

Every team we play has an energy we can't match. As you all say, it's all about midfield. What the hell are we at..it's actually tragic.

Every single senior midfielder should be gone this summer. Not one of them deserves to stay no matter what they have achieved.

Anyhow ITV4 have just explained how our 2nd goal and Wolves 3rd goal[not given] were correct calls..stupid rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That was such a hard watch. Wide open at the back all night, again. Absolutely no control bar a 5 minute spell around 80 minutes. Barely created a chance for the front 3. Right now it's very hard to see how we are going to improve.

Naby needs to start games going forward, he had far involvement than Hendo and Fab in the short while he was on.

If we had a fully fit squad I'd take Trent & Mo out for a couple of game the whole right side is "NICE " , We have no intensity on that side at all ,

The problem is who can we put in there

We seem very ridged or something,

Like there is no interplay or movment between positions anymore

Mane for all his faults his sheer Intensity had been higher missed

what did he did he do tonight for the response

Seems to be the go to if a young player gets a game for us

Doak looks very quick ......& .....thats about it for now

Ok but it also happened after a decision was made so for instance, if a defender deliberately handles a ball in his box but then there was an offside call, would the defender be booked for handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yup, looking like a slot now... alot of them out there are acting as if the are happy with the trophies they already have.... manager/FSG should have added new blood for squad competition when we winning trophies imo...

worried now, there's something toxic going on in the team....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not sure that's right. He has strength, tracks back and a decent touch. For the little game time he got, he was decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We're genuinely goosed.

Without midfield enforcement our season is over after Real Madrid.

Simple.

At least with the last crisis in 2020/21, it was clear what the problem was and once the defenders returned from injury the following season, we went straight back to being a top team again.

Now, it’s clear that the midfield needs a lot of investment, but you can’t help but feeling that the problems run much deeper than that but it’s tough for supporters to identify what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Looks confident on the ball, comfortable with both feet, and his run back to defend, block the ball and then the press forward directly off it showed a maturity.

Maybe he is a 10 minute special, but he looks very very good right now.

Yeah, for a fella who just turned 17, he looks excellent. Being able to take on adult defenders for pace and strength at that age is fairly impressive. Looks to have quite good vision for what's around him instead of just being a head-down runner too.

Unfortunately simply saying positive things about him is an invite for overly-harsh criticism before long, regardless of his age, nonsensical as that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We looked good in parts but awful in others. Nunez took his goal very well, as did Salah but were fairly quiet outside of that. Gakpo did well and I really thought Matip was getting around the pitch very well at times.

Ali, will probably not do what he did tonight ever again. Salah's 'offside ' goal has been given against us previously, so rules are rules and it went with us tonight.

Their 3rd is a bit of a clusterfúck for VAR. How was there not a view to decide upon, given its location on the pitch.

Our midfield looked a bit livelier when Naby came on but we need to freshen it up now rather than in the summer, but I doubt that will happen.

I think 2 additional starters in midfield would make a huge difference. We just have no legs in there now and that's what's killing us, when they go forward or lose the ball the space behind is enormous and Fab no longer has the legs to cover it. There will be a midfield overhaul in the summer you'd imagine as Naby, Milner and Ox will surely all be allowed leave (Milner kept as a youth coach or some such). That'll leave us with 5 midfielders, of which, 3 are aged and 2 are young. We need 2 starters.

I supposes itds not been helped by the fact for the first time in years we have a 9 that goes the other way and doesn't drop in to help the midfield & on top of that our most intense & aggressive presser of a ball in Mane has left ,

So the slowing legs in midfield have lost two lads who really helped them put in recent years , it's a bit of a cluster ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It might be time to reset the team 20 yards further back, help close out the gaps in midfield and actually leave space for Nunez and Salah to ruin into. Time ans time again we see Trent and Robbo running those hard yards back trying and failing to cover,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thought Darwin was excellent again and took his goal really well.

Gakpo in the limited amount I saw doesn't look like a wide forward to me. Doesn't have that burst of acceleration, looks more a centre forward.

Both Salah and Nunez have ruined a fair few chaces 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bad that i fear going away to Brighton next weekend

Very tough game. They're in great form, and scoring loads of goals - 14 goals in their last 4 games! They've better form away than at home, but still a really bad one to be facing into with such poor defensive form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'm not actually going to watch the game as I think they'll give us a beating. 😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I really thought Matip was getting around the pitch very well at times

I usually like when he comes up the pitch as he's very good on the ball, but last night he passed the ball straight to a Wolves player several times when in a good position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely.

Said it after Brentford.

Time to play a style that suits the players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Doak was our best player,and he's 17 and played 10 mins.

Let that sink in.

Our entire midfield needs to be ****** out the door and I genuinely mean that,they can't press,they can't cover spaces,they can't defend,they can't score,they can't create,the intensity,will and desire is completely gone from them and once that goes trust me you ain't getting it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a huge critism I would have is the lack of adaptability we've shown over recent years.

It was the same a few years ago, defending from the halfway line with Nat at CB, and again now playing the normal highline 433 thinking we have 2019 versions of the likes of Fab/Hendo/Milner/Virgil/Bobby available, let alone the loss of Sadio and Gigi who worked so well in that system.

Other teams can change systems and strategies within games, we've been struggling all season and we're still trying the same thing. Not adapting to the changes in personnel and the ability and willingness of opponents to attack our weaknesses, is insanity (repeating the same experiment and expecting different results)

Honestly the Doak stuff is Elliott all over there's a highlight video of him from last night & he might have completed 1 forward pass (maybe 2 ) in there half

Absolutely nothing to suggest he's a "Wonder Kid" that fans are shouting today

We never learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's one thing to say Elliott isn't good enough to start for Liverpool right now.

It's a whole other planet to suggest that he's not an extremely talented 19 year old.

Let's all hope Doak will turn out to be great. But let's also remember the lad is 17 and has huge amounts to learn and grow.

Anyone saying he was our best player last night would wanna go for a long lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ramsay sent off after 20 mins in the u21 match. Doak,Jones and Clark all start

If there was ever any proof of putting young players up on a pedestal too early.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8055235/amp/Jerome-Sinclair-labelled-Owen-happened-English-footballs-big-thing.html

Jerome Sinclair was labelled the next Michael Owen after a prolific season in Liverpool's academy but has now failed to score in 21 games at VVV Venlo in Holland... so, what happened to English football's next big thing?

He's now without a club and owns a fried chicken takeaway.

• Advertisement

Apparently Nunes won more tackles in 27 minutes than Fab and Hendo combined.

Such a nice player, wish we had him and a clear indication of where we need to improve.

Doak has a lot of ability and will surely be seen more and more this season - he's not our saviour - but I think we will see why he is so highly thought of.

We are not functioning as a team currently, we've quite a lot to fix but we should still be doing better. Too many mistakes from too many players really isn't helping.

Advertisement