Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Keenan with yet another text book tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Good man Vakh

Nick McCarthy. The real difference maker tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In the 4 weeks before this game Sheehan played 113 minutes. 80 vs Munster 33 vs Gloucester and 2 weeks off.

He is getting rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Shows you how much pressure Leinster were under. Didn't even entertain the idea of going for the bonus point try from a scrum just outside Ospreys 22. Straight to Byrne to kick off the pitch

• Advertisement

Thought Ospreys were pretty good there. Leinster sloppy but some of that was the pressure Ospreys had us under at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Much closer game than I expected. Good result in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Ross Byrne should be comfortably second choice for Ireland. He won’t be but he is really should be starting if Sexton isn’t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Too much is made of resting our players mo. He's a young pro rugby player, the fact he gets multiple weekends off during a season is more than enough

Byrne, Ryan and McCarthy made a big difference when they came on.

Leinster have definitely simplified their game this season. There aren't as many wrap around passes and things are more direct. It's done with the purpose of toughening up our players I guess. It's probably the right strategy, but makes for some turgid displays at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well that’s as poor as we have played all season. Lost the physical battle for most of the game. Which forced a lot of errors. Foley and Harry Byrne will be dreading the review.

Conan man of the match by a very long way.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,633 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

While Leinster were quite poor for a lot of that game, ospreys were better than I expected them to be. They really simplified their game and just became complete nusiances at the breakdown . Pressure Leinster till inevitably coughed out up. Williams at 12 was very very good. Leinsters scrum was very iffy

It’s all relative. He’s a Hooker who has played ALLOT of rugby this season.

Count the amount of 75/80mins he’s played and add in his tests in the summer. Plus the amount of ground he covers, scrums and throws.

Then there is the backs….like Carbery and Crowley.

Trust me. I know who is feeling (more) rested!

I’m sorry but what Sheehan is doing out on the pitch is not normal.

Most Hookers play 65 mins max.

Hes a freak.

Now I completely agree if you are talking about a back. Which is what my whole point was about

e.g. Carbery and Ireland need him playing (&ideally Crowley)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In fairness, its highly disputable whether he was held and also, the ref has been allowing Ospreys away with that all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Good win, Ospreys were well up for that. Even though our attack wasn't where it should be, it was pretty relentless and wore them down.

Scrum kept them in it as well as a hungry defense. Conan had a big game and Ross Byrne made a difference off the bench. Happy to get the win in another tight game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Healy and Ala'alatoa aren't good enough

Carbery has been playing, and will play the next two weeks. Not sure what the problem is?

He's 24/25. He'll have 60ish mins next weekend, the same again the weekend after although Kelleher could easily start that one, then a weekend off before 2 weekends on for 6 nations games and a weekend off. It wouldn't be an issue for any other top 4 international team imo

For back ups? They're fine, not every player has to be Porter or Furlong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yep harsh one. In fairness for as good as Dorris is he does give away some stupid penalties. Strange original comment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

As what? Theyre fine for what they are now. 2nd choice. wont start major games.

Ala'alatoa had a tough day at the office but he's a quality operator, he's been a great signing.

If Carbery can’t play because he needs a rest - he doesn’t - then Crowley should have played.

And vice versa

Sheehan needs an extended break. Badly.

Sheehan is the starting hooker for Ireland. He’s a forward. Manage his minutes.

Carbery is an outhalf. He’s not the starting outhalf (*Sexton broken face) for Ireland. He doesn’t need his minutes managed.

Crowley is an outhalf. See above AND he is playing out of position. He needs minutes there. So play him at outhalf as often as you can.

JOB and Conan both played well in the second half.

Special mention for JOB as he had to move from the wing to centre when Ngatai went off at half time. Showed his versatility and shone again.

This was the toughest game Jamie Osborne has played in since his debut. He looked rushed and made some bad mistakes, especially with his kicking. It'll hopefully stand well to him in the future. Still carried strongly when given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We were minced. But still managed to win. Some lads won like the review. Foley was poor and HB not at the races. Healy and Ala'Alatoa were hosed. Completed toyed with in the scrum. To be fair, I doubt Porter would have fared well either.

Very poor outing. Conan came good late after a poor 50 minutes. Rhys was poor too. Osborne had a mare, imo. He really was off the pace. I thought Larmour was decent along with Ngati. Ospreys bossed the exchanges and looked very comfortable defending.

With such a poor scrum, it's amazing that we stole the win. James Ryan and Ross Byrne were excellent. Good learning experience for Deeny, who went ok. This match will stand to him. Very willing ball carrier and he's pretty skillful too.

HB really needs minutes on the field. I don't know if he will get many next week. The 6nations is not doable for him. The rest of the season he should just try to get into a rhythm and find some form.

Leinster handling was quite poor. A couple of poor knock ons and some passes that were fairly high. The coaching team will like the result, but not the play. Poorest effort since the Euro final, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

They're first 23 players who will be tasked with locking out our scrum in huge games against the likes of Toulouse, La Rochelle, The Bulls or The Stormers at the business end of the season. I just watched them get taken to the cleaners by Nicky Smith and Thomas Francis. So either they ain't good enough or Robyn McBryde is stealing a living. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hard to disagree with pretty much all of that assessment. Mark of champions is to have a shocker and get over the line. The Monday review will not be pretty mind, and rightfully so.

At this stage, Ross should be getting the ten jersey when available. He needs to be handed the baton for European games where Sexton is unavailable. He looks much improved on last year which is great.

It was also good to see better returns from line-out this week although the scrum was munched at times so can't win em all.

I think Ospreys were unlucky to lose. Referee was very picky to our benefit at times and on another day, that's a LBP loss for us in my books.

Agreed that Healy and Ala'alatoa had a rough game but they've had many great games these season and today was just one of those days. It's bewildering to see some fans (not you) call for their heads after one bad run out.

I tend to agree. Even with Porter and Furlong, we struggle. I can't see Leinster get over the hump unless the scrum gets at least parity.

It's very concerning in general, scrummaging in Ireland. Bealham and Buckley were sodomized this week. Wycherly was minced and very very poor. He's nowhere in the realm of an international call up. Ulster have problems too and their best lh is a Scot.

For Leinster, while I think Porter has improved he's not a good scrummager. I think Francis would have got the upper hand today. Milne is raw. He's still learning and is possibly behind where they wanted him to be at this stage. Granted, he missed a year but, he needs to improve.

I've questioned McBryde's role in the past and I think he's not getting it done. Leinster are not a dominant scrummaging side. To me, it could screw them at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

While I was disappointed with HB, I feel minutes on the field will help him. He's undercooked and probably lacking confidence.

I think Foley is one to worry about. That's 2 starts that I recall where he was abysmal. Very poor doesn't describe it. I don't know what the answer is? Is he capable? Nick McCarthy was noticeably better. Which isn't saying a lot.

Today marked the 1st time that Osborne had a poor outing. Hopefully it's just a blip.

Larmour is making inroads with his rucking. He seems to be involved way more than I can remember. He's really putting himself about.

VDF made a bullocks of Ospreys ruck at about 75 minutes. Total demolition and shithousery. He really destroyed what looked like a good attacking platform.

Line out was fine? Is it Kelleher? Or a Connacht that good?

Advertisement