Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Actually, thats not true about their popularity in the US. I was listening to Marion McKeown on An Irishman Abroad podcast and she was asked to explain why all the interest in the Royal Family. Marion says that they are really popular over there, and Americans are pleased to have real royalty now. She gave examples of how the Kennedys and the Bushes and the Kardashians are regarded as royalty. The Americans honour their military and Harry is a veteran.

You might be interested in the commentator, Steve Schmidt (founder of the Lincoln Project) take on it.

https://steveschmidt.substack.com/p/the-duchess-of-sussex-and-her-stalkers

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lady Diana Spencer before marriage to Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

I feel for Harry on some levels. He's had his very origin questioned. He's lost his mother in tragic circumstances. He's been made to walk behind mother's coffin in a very public setting as a child. He's known that effectively he's an spare heir with William getting the top gig when Charles passes away. His wife has been subjected to savage media coverage in the UK. GB news has been particularly anti Harry & Meghan at every opportunity while William and Kate are the perceived stepford couple who can do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

GB News viewership is pitifully low. Some of their programmes don't even register on the ratings metre.

So why would anyone care what they say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

It's more that they have an agenda against Harry and Meghan while deifying William and Kate. I'm not aware of their viewing figures but they are a fledgling station so maybe in time they'll build a following.

This all starts with Charles and his sham marriage, he was essentially the first modern royal and didn’t fit with the old ways , but played along and here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But who cares? No one watches it apart from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This article has a picture of Harry outside Kensington Palace 'greeting mourners' after his mother's death.

However we mock him, he was let down as a child and needs help as a man. I don't think he's in a good place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Without a doubt I always felt both William and Harry have issues. Harry more so. I know a few people who are all of a sudden big Harry fans and it's mainly because they enjoy the issues he's causing for the Royal Family and they don't give a toss about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Fair to say the press is giving Harry and Megan a hard time the past year or two. BUT, if they lived the private life they said they wanted, and stayed out of the media (interviews, books, photo opps, Susexx press releases, Archie thing publicty, etc), then the media and most everyone would leave them alone and we wouldnt read about them, who knows they might even be forgotten.

They are desperate for attention and want publicity all the time. Most would say its for Money, to fund their life, as Charles & the crowm no longer pay their expenses, security, accomidation, travel, etc.

What are you thoughts? If the Crown continued to pay for H&M while living in Cali, would they really live a life a private life, or would they continue to seek media attention and publicity ? I suspect Megan would want the attention and be treated like a VIP superstar, but I think Harry would be content with a private life with his family and dogs (with all the trapping of a mansion, staff, security, range rovers & private jets being provided of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on: And they’re delighted he keeps swinging..and their glee is because somehow they think Harry’s ranting and story telling is hurting the RF. It’s a weird way to look at this.

I said it earlier: Harry needs someone firm and fair, and someone he trusts to sit him down and tell him to shut up. He needs tough love.

Nobody is being hurt as regards the institution, but from a human and love and family level, plenty are being hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

All the matrons at his boarding school made him and his mates horny. Except one. Someone who was not much of a thing with greasy hair and a tired face. His words. With a deviated spine she had to go downstairs backwards. Harry would mock this via doing little dances and making pained faces. Again, this wasn't his fault though. He was only doing it to make his mates laugh. An odd thing to include but would like to see the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

How's he spot on in your opinion? He said the issues he's causing the royal family . You said all its causing is some wee chuckles.

I think the poster made a very good point. I elaborated on it.

Okay you just didn't agree with all of their comment , fair enough.

Yes. Exactly. I have two views, which I have outlined when me and you were discussing. I don’t believe Harry is damaging the institution; but on a human/family level: father, grandfather, sibling, brother, of course it’s damaging, and sad. And I believe Harry is hurting Harry more than anyone else.

He probably said “can you please set up the invictus games NOWWW! “ and people set it up

Yep. But I don’t think his book will matter a jot to the overall workings of the crown.

Britain and the RF will just carry on as they always have, working for Britain. And of course, that will piss some people off and make others happy and proud.

the world today is just far too fast, chaotic and fickle.. in a wee while it will be just another thing that happened.

• Advertisement

I think Harry's exit has hurt the RF, and everything that's accompanied that. I think there is uncertainty there because of how utterly crap Charles is as well. William and Kate were the hope for years of popularity and now Williams image has been affected. It's not plain sailing for them without Lizzie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Whatever one thinks of Harry and the rights and wrongs of writing the book and his dispute with the RF, the English tabloids (and a lot of their readers) are an absolute sewer of hate and bile. You have the worst people in England on his case - Morgan, Clarkson, Carole Malone, Hartley-Brewer, Wootton, GB News, Talk TV etc. It's a bit surreal to see these lowlifes attempting to judge someone morally.

Well, it’s always going to be difficult using Queen Elizabeth as a yardstick. She gave over 70 years crown service.

And the RF today is a lot more modern and progressive than when Elizabeth took over.

Charles is only months into his reign. He probably has 10-15 years before the baton is passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

After boasting about 25 taliban kills veterans and current military will want nothing to do with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It’s a very said public meltdown IMO - he’s taken zero accountability or responsibility for anything which suggests he’s surrounded himself with YES people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

Has there been anything in the book about Andrew and Epstein ?

I’d would imagine he has been sweating a bit more lately in the run up to the Netflix series and the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a car crash, how did he think that was appropriate when he was up in arms about Meghan being criticised for wearing ripped jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

It is likely taken out of context and part of the general plot set up which might go along the lines of the following.

My mum died. Likely killed because she rattled a proverbial cage. I went off the rails. I was a thoroughly horrible person (examples provided including the mocking the matron) but I didn't know it because I was living in a cage having been bred in captivity. We were all wild but we all conformed. Even the outsider who married my equally wild brother joined the cage and conformed. He always got the lions share. Any outsiders dating me got attacked by the press. One particular outsider couldn't handle it and the press is so bad she killed herself years after we split. I loved my family and really tried my best. Then I met my Saintly Wife. A gift from outside the cage I was in. She helped make me see the error of my racist and wild bullying ways. She was the one who showed me my family didn't truly love me. She wanted to kill herself as well but she didn't. They wanted us all to stay caged and bullied us when we rattled the proverbial cages like Mummy. They don't want to be saved. She knew there was a big wide world out there. Despite my friends, family and therapy trying and failing to help it was my wife who was ultimately the one who saved me and who helped me escape. My dead Mummy told me I'm going to be ok. She got her revenge (symbolism of the Queen decoration smashing on the floor)

In short, a savior narrative. Pulitzer worthy I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Really wish Harry would keep quiet, which feels awful to say. I don't think he's doing himself or his (immediate) family any favours. I get the sense of needing to speak out the same way Britney is on Instagram. I think both have had very conditioned childhoods that has led to them having mental health issues and the need to speak up after being silenced for so many years. Sadly when they do, it comes across as erratic and causes backlash on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s actually a great question and right now, I think Harry is so messed up, even he doesn’t know.

We know the 1/2 in 1/2 out approach H&M were pushing for would never have worked from a RF perspective as they would have had no control and as we know control is key for the RF.

So, could William and Charles have just paid Harry say 20 mill between them, so that he could just dabble in whatever worldly causes he wished as long as he kept is mouth shut about private RF life?

Yes the could have, but I don't think Harry wanted to keep his mouth shut- and that's the crux here.

I think the questions are:

Just how much money is enough money? Right now, he's comfortable but if he has to pay for upkeep to his properties, security, private jet travel, his staff etc, he probably needs a few million a year just to stay still so 20 million will only get him say, 6 years of living- mad when you think of it but not far off the truth I'd say.

No wonder Hollywood actors stayed in 5 star penthouses years ago, for months and years on end- it was actually probably cheaper than paying loads of hangers on, security staff, grounds keepers etc

Is his priority right now to make millions or to slate the RF- for me, it's slating the RF because regardless of what he said in the books and the TV shows, i.e. been more positive, he still would have made his millions.

What next? Who knows, but I'd probably buy his next book if it were about his aunt and uncles 😁

Advertisement