Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question from an "occasional" cyclist

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I did near 80km today on a road bike and after an hour my feet were wet and cold (despite shoe covers). I wouldn't have fancied doing twice that on a road bike (never mind the extra time required if on a MTB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Report on our trip!!!

Started at 6am, made good progress along RC until just past Leixlip. Had to detour and ended up taking road route around the Clonsilla and Blanchardstown area, before rejoining the RC at 12th Lock (Castleknock). Got caught in a horrible wintery shower too! Eventually got to our destination at almost exactly midday! 6 hours including stopping for grub (sandwiches, chocolate bars, fluids, etc), waiting to regroup because we tend to get spread out along the route. Spent an hour or so in city, Kebab, chips, coke and then got stuck into the return journey and left city about 1.30pm. Took on the Deep Sinking and that was very tough. Slippy surface, exposed roots, piles of wet leaves, muck and exposed stones/rocks.

Managed to "navigate" around the restricted area while sticking religiously to the RC. Don't judge us, you weren't there :)

We all got very tired at different stages. I personally found Maynooth to Enfield tough going, even though surface is good. Just the physical act of sitting in the saddle was difficult. We had to content with more cold rain showers and a bastard of a head wind! Everyone dug deep and those who were slower asked that we not wait for each other from Enfield onward (barring emergencies). All remained in phone contact

I got a second wind from Enfield, helped by the fact that either through a cessation of wind or shelter, I was absolutely flying. There's also the possibility that I was hallucinating or deluded! I stopped at one stage to answer the phone and took a fall. Put my foot down to find there was no surface underfoot (a hole or depression in the ground) Damaged my left brake lever housing but brakes still worked ok, so no real harm. I was first "home" at 8.10pm, last guy home at about 9.20pm. I estimated our total distance was 176km, but this was later confirmed as 171km (one lad had GPS gizmo).

We are all very proud even though we set no speed records. But slow and steady got us there and back. Thanks to everyone who tipped in with advice and comments.

I took a hybrid/touring bike in the end. Decided the whole speed versus comfort was a pointless choice. The bike I took offered wider tyres (44mm) and could probably move a bit quicker than an MTA. We all had weather protection gear from previous greenway / overnight cycle camping trips, so no real weather challenge other than wind. Light batteries were challenged, because we had to use lights at the beginning and end. Some lights failed (to be fair) cheap Chinese shite! Drank lots of water but even with three bottles, I ran out in the last 40km. Too tired or stubborn to look for refill opportunities, just wanted to finish. There was a risk that if I stopped I might not restart!

Had a shower and fell into bed! Arse very tender. Dollops of Suodcrem and sarcastic sympathy from the missus!

Woke this morning, sore muscles all over, but very proud that we finished.

Post edited by Gorteen on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Happy days, I am positively surprised. You should do it again in June on a sunny day. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Well done that is mighty effort especially at this time of the year .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well done, Same time next Sat? 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Savage stuff, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

Well done great stuff, think i met ye at Louisa bridge Leixlip (green Surly's ??) on your way back west when i was walking the wuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Fair play to all of ye. All messing and slagging aside, that's a big spin in good conditions, never mind a windy and rainy day in January

• Advertisement

Where exactly did you start from ? Can I ask

Friends house who live between Killucan & Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Top stuff , well done to all. Long days in saddle can be as tough a mental challenge as physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wijam

fantastic stuff, as some of the folks said, especially at this time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If you are going to do something long and hard on a bike, making the decision yourself that you are is the most important thing.

Everything else is mostly noise and excuses not to do it

you might find something of interest OP

Careful he will put us all to shame come summer at the rate he is going .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Epic stuff! Your legs will be in bits for rest of week Prob getting worse till Thursday !

Advertisement