Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nope not even started yet, probably get Christmas out of the way before they start knocking walls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Went to the newly reopened Southern Star bar last night. Wasn't impressed. Although maybe they need a bit of time to iron out the issues.

The lighting is desperate. Massive lightbulbs hanging over the bar burning your eyes out. Also dotted around the place are really cheap looking harsh uncomfortable lights. When I walked in it reminded me of a Ukranian bomb shelter on emergency power. I've never been in a Ukranian bomb shelter but anyway that's the feeling I got. Or perhaps those lights your grandad might have on the walls inside his shed. Something like this:

Maybe I've become too used to Benny Mcabe's lighting style but the lighting needs to be toned down and rearranged. The old Southern Star was cosier.

Thankfully they kept the pool table, but it's in the worst location possible. They should have kept it outside. It's in the hallway to get outside and in an extremely small space. You need to be careful not to poke somebody's balls or knock any pints with the back of the cue when you're taking a shot. Roughly a meter space around the sides of the table. At the end of the table is the back door, and I saw people opening the back door to take shots with their arse outside in the freezing cold, as there's not enough space. On one side of the table is the toilets, so there's a constant stream of people walking into you as you're trying to take a shot. Not convenient for toilet goers either having to dodge the pool cue. When you're finished your business in the loo you open the door and the first thing you see is somebody's arse in your face taking a shot. And since the pool table in the corridor to get outside, there's a constant stream of people walking by the table interrupting your shot. This will get even worse when it gets warmer as more people head outside. A game of pool is 2 euro.

The outside space is excellent. You can also get burgers from the food truck out there. I didn't try the burger but it is "savage" according to a random person I asked who was scoffing one down. I can imagine spending a good bit of time in the smoking area when the weather gets better. Has comfy cushioned seating. I can see this being mentioned in Cork Beo's next "Best beer gardens in Cork" article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Interesting, called in last Saturday with high hopes and left with similar disappointment. Couldn't really see what was different apart from the excessive lighting and a coat of paint. Had an unfinished feel to it. Going to sound old but the music was way too loud and we ultimately left when the match came on seemingly at full volume.

Never made it outside, tried to get past the pool table but felt like we were interrupting the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think there's a Three Shop opening in Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LoneRanger21

Dominoes pizza opening up in the ground floor of the LIDL in Wilton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Be right back

Supervalu in MQ closing down with the loss of 40 jobs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's a shame... for both the workers and customers. Was always a good spot for the more hard to find stuff.

That's sad just when Dunnes got up and going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Be right back

I think Dunnes took a lot of their business away.

I always found it very quiet but I wasn't there a lot.

I'd say it could end up being a Mr Price if they dropped the rent just to lease the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nah its been in trouble for ages, long before Dunnes put in planning for their revamped store.

Such was the problem, Supervalu bought the franchise back off of Caulfields ages ago to try to cut costs and save the store. I suspect Dunnes was the final nail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The entire complex need to be knocked and redone. Dunnes starting up there was a step backwards for the city. The sooner the place empties out the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Hopefully Decathlon will take the Super Valu unit.

I’d imagine Dealz/Pepco will look at it too.

Sports Direct are taking over the former Debenhams on Henry Street for a flagship store. They are looking at the Debenhams site on Patrick street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I wonder would they change the old eason building to the sports direct, and then Fraser in the Debenhams building if they did buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Decathlon? Way too small for that and the city centre would be a terrible location for them.

From my understanding the old Eason building will be Flannels.

One opened in Blanchardstown lately.

The best you can hope for with the Debenhams unit would be a mix of Sports Direct and Frasers. I think this is what they are doing with Henry Strert.

I'd be in agreement there. Aren't they building extra units in the Mahon over floor carpark. I'd say this would be a location for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Decathlon have opened city centre stores throughout Europe. There is also a large store in Liverpool City Centre.

The Super Valu unit is around 40,000sq. ft. which is similar in size to their Dublin and upcoming Limerick units.

The unit and overhead car park was sold to an investment group who will be eager to secure a blue chip tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's an absolutely horrific looking building and an awful sight coming into the city. So dark and gloomy. Reminds me of one of those old mother and baby homes, or a coal factory or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Re Supervalu in MQ, I'm sorry to see it go but it was always a terrible Supervalu compared to others around.

Grange, Togher, Skehard Road, Glanmire etc, were all streets ahead of it, not to mind all the great county Supervalus.

It just seemed that they never put any effort into that shop. Its "express type" configuration in recent years just made it worse, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MQ aged very poorly, like a budget US mall. I think the 21st century glass boxes will also look poor in 30-40 years, they will look tatty when the finishes weather and acres of glass won't get cleaned regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I feel that there is something very wrong when we routinely pull down buildings that are less than 40 years old.

Is our planning system so bad that buildings are no longer fit for purpose in such a short space of time?

(I really hate the MQ building, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

There is planning for a revamp of MQ dont know where its at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

The MQ Building is ok, it’s red brick. It’s the plasticy interiors and front that age it and those are fixable. Not by Fraser group mind, their interiors are also crappy.

It’s a pity about the people losing their jobs, but that MQ SV was almost as bad as the skehard road one for stock on the shelves being out of date. Probably from the poor footfall. Stock management must have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Sliced in the city are closed.

Also heard Preachers and Strasbourg Goose are up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Half a kilometre of dead frontage facing the river perpendicular to Patrick’s Street is a disgrace. Given it’s location I honestly think it’s got a shout for the worst building in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

A few places it seems are up for Rent in the city. I had a look on Daft.ie and they had Mason(and the rest) up for lease at the moment which is a huge premises on Tuckey Street, along with the previously mentioned Preachers and Strasbourg Goose.

https://www.daft.ie/commercial-properties-for-rent/cork-city/restaurants-bars-hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

All of that river frontage is usable. There are windows, doors, glass, brickwork arches, the lot. The building design and structure is absolutely fine. It's not limestone, but it's ok. Shop front after shop front boarded up with dealz ads is what is making that look really shoddy. The potential is there for it to be used well. No decent occupants mean unused windows. Picture those as Brown Thomas style window displays, or cosy cafes and the whole scene changes.

That's what the redevelopment was meant to look like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Glass box, quelle surprise.

Advertisement